UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The NFL Thread

karamazov80

Well, I think the Colts and Saints deserve the most attention for the reasons you are mentioning. Though with the new rules they keep implementing that makes it near impossible to hit a QB or wide receiver without having to stop and think about what you're doing first, I suspect that undefeated teams will become more and more a reality as the years go on, and the novelty will wear off a bit.

However, it seems to me that the Vikings and Bengals were getting a very fair amount of coverage despite this. In the last couple weeks I've heard and read lot of people picking teams like The Vikes and Chargers to go to the Superbowl over the two undefeated teams. Not as much coverage as the Saints/Colts, but perhaps more coverage than any other NFL team, and that's gotta count for something, right? Actually, it's strange that though the 12-0 teams get a lot of coverage, they still lack the respect of a number of pundits/analysts who think that they are suspect because they haven't really been "tested," etc. etc.

As for the crappy games Fox/CBS decides to show, hell if I can understand that logic. Seems like the crap games get shown here more often than they don't.

Edited by karamazov80

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dolphins beat the Pats... go figure. Have the Pats won since that ill-fated 4th and 2 against the Colts? As a Dol-fan, I'm happy for the win, but confused as how that happened.

And Warner beats the invinceble Farve?

Pitsberg loses to the Raiders?

Odd week in the NFL.

Yeah, it's been what... almost 20 years since the Dolphins could say that?

Despite being a Dolphins fan, I'm hoping San Deigo wins it all this year. I really like Phillip Rivers as a quarterback, and don't want to see what happened to Dan happen to him. I think Rivers is a better QB than his "classmates" Manning and Big Ben, but at the end of the day, it's about rings. Which is why Brady is considered better than Peyton.

YMMV

Yeah that game last night was crazy. No defense showed up. I will say that having these young wr's on the Birds is great. So many years the Eagles had junk wr's and made it into the playoffs. We have had two wr's come to the Eagles and leave quickly though. (TO and Stallworth) The Eagles have always been a 2nd half the year team.

Two teams at 13-0. It's kind of getting boring at this point.

Boring to you, but not boring to the vast amount of Saints fans who never get to see their favorite team with such a successful year. The Saints are one of the few teams left that have never been to the Super Bowl. I watch each game on the edge of my seat.

I watch each game on the edge of my seat.

Hard to do otherwise when it seems to always come down to the wire! :D

Frankly, I wish these games were a bit more "boring," like the Pats games were a few years ago. The Saints are scoring a lot, but so are our opponents, unfortunately. No way Chris Redman and backup running back should have been as close as they were to beating us yesterday. Props to the defense for stepping up at the end when it needs to, though. They have consistently done that, if nothing else.

I watch each game on the edge of my seat.

Hard to do otherwise when it seems to always come down to the wire! :D

Frankly, I wish these games were a bit more "boring," like the Pats games were a few years ago. The Saints are scoring a lot, but so are our opponents, unfortunately. No way Chris Redman and backup running back should have been as close as they were to beating us yesterday. Props to the defense for stepping up at the end when it needs to, though. They have consistently done that, if nothing else.

I really enjoyed the Saints game yesterday. Drew Brees is having an MVP year. It's going to come down to him and Payton Manning. It's kind of nuts that it is well within the realm of possibility that 2 undefeated teams could meet in the Superbowl.

Yeah, I agree about the possibility of 2 undefeated teams in the Super Bowl. That would be a game to watch for sure!

Also, I understand the comments about the Colts and the Saints getting so much attention. However, it is ALWAYS one team or another getting all the attention and its usually NEVER the Saints. The Saints are the team that has always been blown off as a bumbling team that never can get it together. The Buccaneers had the same reputation and I was glad they changed their look and thrilled to see them win a Super Bowl.

Now its the Saints turn.

I fully expect that the Colts and the Saints will probably both lose a game before the Super Bowl, but if they don't and end up facing eachother in Miami, I am going to need sedation. Serious intravenous sedation...

Not to down play the Buccs SB win, but I some how had totally forgotten that superbowl. I had to look it up to even figure out if it was within my memory. As far as loving the attention the Saints are getting I totally understand. If it wasn't for Manning, and sometimes even with, Indiana Pro teams are known for not winning and choking. Manning is now held as a walking football god, it is a little annoying, even if it is true. So the Saints going from nada to hyped, I can see the reason to be happy. As I have said before I am also a Bengals fan so I am used to being ignored.

I can almost guarantee that the Colts will lose at least one game before the Playoffs. They will most likely rest most of the team until what a month,three games and then the bye, from now. I also expect the Colts to choke. It's a statistical fact.

But yes it would be awesome to see two undefeated teams in the Super Bowl.

Hurts to know that: a) our defense still sucks; and B) our coach apparently feels the need to panic when we're down by 2 touchdowns with half a game left and to abandon the run.

I guess it's easy to be an armchair coach, but damn. Saints looked like the Saints from last year or the year before, when we were always struggling with no running game and threw constantly with mixed results. You turn into a 1-dimensional offense and you are not going to win.

I can only hope that this is some grand deception by Peyton to trick people going into the playoffs by playing ridiculously. Otherwise, this recent trend is very disturbing to me. The gameplan and response to pressure is not champion-like, in my opinion. Of course, we still had a chance to win on that last drive! How the hell did that happen?

Knowing how fickle and short-sighted football analysts and media types are, I'm not sure that it will be the guy who deserves it. It isn't who was really the best for their team, or even who was best all season, but who is perceived to be playing the best (i.e. guys who are receiving lots of media attention) in the final stretch of the season.

But having said that, it will probably be Peyton Manning, unless they lose a game or rest him. Drew Brees had a shot until they lost that game against Dallas. Of course I'm biased, but I say you take Manning away from the Colts and I say they are still a .500+ team. You take Brees away from the Saints, and I think they win 3-4 games. Just my opinion, but the Colts defense seems more consistent and I think you could stick Jamarcus Russel behind that O-line and he would look pretty dang good. Brett Favre has fallen out of favor with a weak couple games recently (again, if he had weak games earlier in the season, it probably wouldn't matter). An argument could probably be made for Philip Rivers or Chris Johnson.

Ultimately, I think it is going to depend on the last few games. If Brees or Manning are rested, and one of those other guys finishes strong, I think they will get it. If Manning or Brees stay consistent and don't have another stinker (as both have had this season), I will go with one of them. The stats bear it out, and so do their records.

Manning has most passing yards and completions (also most attempts :) ), whereas Brees has the highest passing rating by far (109.4 vs. Manning's 101.2), and highest completion percentage. Both have the same number of TDs (33 each). Of course, the Colts have one more win, but as I said before, I feel they are a better team all the way around. In my unbiased view, Brees's QB stats are more impressive than Manning's, because Manning's best stats are based on him just throwing more than anybody else. But again, that's just one person's objective, unbiased view.

I suppose it's not a good question to be responded by by people living in New Orleans or Indiana. If it is Manning, I'd hope it'd be a tie with Brees. I'm not really sure you can compare the two other than in the stats. Manning is a really in his own class when it comes to strategy and finding what works. Brees is more the picture of what the NFL lacks in it's players-heart and soul. They've both got the stats and the wins to back them, but other than that they are totally different. But, the season's not over yet and things can change pretty quickly.

I think you bring up a good point about Manning--he really is the offensive coordinator for the Colts. He seems to audible based on the coverage about half of the time (of course, he usually audibles into passes of some kind :D ). Brees does a fair amount of that, and does it well, but I don't think of Brees as having the kind of broad, strategic impact on the offense that Manning does. If Manning disagrees with the coach or offensive coordinator, I'm sure he ends up doing whatever the heck he wants. If Payton tells Brees to do something wacky, I'm betting he would do it in the vast number of cases unless he could convince the coach otherwise. So, Manning deserves some extra credit for that influence on the game, I think.

Brees, conversely, has seemed to inspire the team from an emotional standpoint, which is an intangible factor that is hard to quantify. Who knows how much or how little that has influenced the team?

Today was really hard watching a team that could easily go unbeaten lose by using the back-up to the back-up QB. The Jets scored 19 unanswered points after Manning left (not that it could all be blamed on Painter). I just hope it pays off for the Colts come playoff time.

Today was just an overall weird day for the NFL.

Well it's officially playoff season. I heard "I really like the Eagles" about nine times yesterday from across the NFL commentary universe. It's becoming a Christmas weekend tradition. No matter how the Eagles seasons go in September and October, they always seem to "play well at the right time" for the last decade or so. And no offense to Eagles fans, but they always manage to lose in the playoffs. I will be stunned, stunned I say, if the make it past the second round.

But then, I thought the Giants were better than they are apparently. And I thought New Orleans had patched that hole in their D earlier this year. Don't ask me to explain the Steelers, I'm as confused to whether they are any good as anyone else. And I thought Dungee Jr. over in Indy wasn't so knuckle headed as to throw a game so Payton could be rested for the playoffs. Yeah, I saw the sideline shots, Manning looked really relaxed and rested to me. He may not have been at risk of an injury, but do that to him again, and Manning will have a heart attack on the sideline out of frustration.

Edited by Mirymate