UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The NFL Thread

karamazov80

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord have mercy. Forced by the geniuses at the NFL to watch both the Lions AND the Raiders on the same day. What, are they TRYING to kill the Thanksgiving football tradition? The Bucs and Browns weren't available?

Both Thanksgiving games should be handled like the current Sunday Night game- best matchup of the week. Or maybe move the Pats-Colts game to Thanksgiving. ANYTHING is better than what we got yesterday afternoon.

17 points aren't much to an offense like that. A few weeks ago the Saints went down by 14 early, and it was the strangest thing when I was thinking to myself--"eh, we'll get that easily." And sure enough. . .with offensive juggernauts like these, you've got to score early and often, or you probably aren't gonna pull out the win.

We will see if the Saints are for real this Sunday. Good luck to all involved.

Well, if going 10-0 doesn't make you '"for real," then I don't know what could. As for beating the Pats, they are considered by everyone (rightly) as being one of the best in the league, despite their record, so I don't think that a loss to them would mean that they aren't a serious team that can compete for the championship. I hope the Saints will win, but a loss to the most successful current franchise in the NFL won't crush my hopes for them.

Edited by karamazov80

As the Colts have progressed over the years, it seems like teams are figuring out ways to stop them in the beginning (basically, finding the element of surprise). Then, when they're figured out, the colts usually can recover and come back. Weird that it was the 5th straight week for them to be down in the fourth and have come back to win. As today went on, by the fourth the Colts looked like as energized as they did at the beginning, but Houston just looked wore out.

Now with this game over, I can't wait to see tomorrow night. It should be a nice match up.

Houston behaved as some of the Saints opponents have this year. They found that they were able to run all over them in the first half, then they inexplicably change their game plan and start passing more often. Then the Colts score a bit, and the Texans seemed to get spooked which caused them to throw even more out of panic. But running was winning them the game! Getting away from that didn't make any sense to me at all, but I think the Colts are fortunate that they did.

Well, if going 10-0 doesn't make you '"for real," then I don't know what could.

I'm just saying that the Saints have only played 3 teams with a winning record and this is one of the two (allowing that the Cowboy's don't implode by the time that they play the Saints) the biggest tests they will have all season.

I have no doubt that the Pats will be their biggest test of the regular season (or should be), but I think any team going 10-0 speaks for itself, even if the opponents weren't all playoff caliber teams (though when they played them, some of the teams the Saints played were considered very good--particularly the Jets and Eagles [defensively] early in the season and Giants when they were 5-0 or whatever it was).

:D

Well, I think they are "for real," anyway. You don't score 35+ points a game unless you're the real deal offense-wise, in my opinion. But I'm equally impressed with the defense tonight. They've really stepped it up, and getting McKenzie back has been a real treat. He was our best corner for the last few years until he got injured. I didn't even know we had signed McAllister, but hey--the more of these Scottish fellas we get, the merrier. These veterans know what they're doing.

But Carney just missed a damn 20 yard field goal or something. There is a reason we cut his lame butt years ago :angry:

Boy, the Pats sure pour it on when they're ahead, but down like this and Brady is out! I've never seen the Pats do this.

Edited by karamazov80

I don't know, but I'm sure it will be more evidence for some Saints haters to question their "goodness." Seems like whenever the Saints beat a "good" team, they start sucking, and people start suggesting that they weren't good when the Saints played them to begin with.

Saints weren't really the better team today, in my opinion. The wacky fumble recovery by Meachem, the shanked field goal by the Redskins guy, the fumble by the Redskins in OT, they were all fairly lucky breaks for the Saints. But hey, at the end of the day, a win's a win. I just hope we can keep it up in the playoffs. Now we're playing not to have to play Minnesota in their crap weather in the NFC championship game, so I hope we can keep up the winning in the regular season, too. Though we did win in crap weather today, we didn't play particularly well.

Edited by karamazov80

The wacky fumble recovery by Meachem

That alone shouldn't have happened. But like you say, at the end of the day/season, all you see is another 1 in the win column. Having watched the Colts enough, there are quite a few of their wins that weren't because they were the best team out there. But that's the nature of the game.

Even apart from today, the Saints have had some squeakers and comebacks, as well. Congrats to us both, though. For today, our teams are both 12-0! That's nuts! It's nice to be a fan of a genuinely good team for once.

Edited by karamazov80

Well, madman's team has 3 titles in the last 10 years. I would, of course, trade 20 12-0 seasons for one of those. The Pats are still the team to emulate. And despite how awesome the Colts have been since Manning came aboard, they still just have 1 title. So the Pats fans really have had more to be proud of in recent years than either of us, in my opinion.

As for the Colts, though, I fear they will have another title once this year is up. They've been there so many times, that when they have a better than average team (for them), I think they are really going to be the team to beat in the playoffs. For the Saints, this playoff business is still pretty sporadic, and winning is very new. Until Jim Haslett came along circa 2001, the Saints had never won a playoff game. So far, he won one for us, and the Saints won another 1 under Peyton. That's 2 playoff wins in the history of the Saints. Maybe that will be an advantage, since we won't have as much baggage, but that lack of experience under the big-time pressure of the playoffs may not be a good thing.

I am personally a little miffed at the fact that some of the teams that have had great seasons but aren't the Colts, Patriots, or Saints are getting little to no coverage. The Favre and Vikings are a team to be reckoned with and so are the Bengals, yet even if these teams beat the smurf out of a typically great team, it pretty much gets buried. I know we have never had 2 undefeated teams this far into the season, but there are other smurfing teams playing, and why in the hell was my second choice of game Chicago vs St. Louis rather than Cincinati vs Detroit or Saints vs Washington and why the hell would they jump to the next game rather than showing the end of the previous the last 2 minutes of a game mean something not the first 5 of a new game total bullsmurf. I hate FOX broadcasting not just cause of these things but because there are always issues with the broadcast too. [/soapbox]