UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The NFL Thread

karamazov80

It kind of makes me laugh whenever he's benched. However I'd have rather seen them keep everybody in and go for the perfect season. The odds of them doing that are better than them winning all playoff games (though I think they can do it this year). At least having a perfect season would be a nice consolation prize even if you didn't go to the Bowl.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Wildcard Week is over! Jets somehow win despite being out of playoff contention :D , Cowboys decimate the Eagles (who a few weeks ago were the trendy pick to win the NFC), Ravens surprisingly embarrass the Patriots, and the Cardinals win in what turned into an absurd shoot-out. Any thoughts or observations?

Looking forward to the Saints/Cardinals game this weekend. I have no freakin' idea what to expect, though, as the Saints could be a bit rusty or could be magnificent. Cards looked fantastic tonight, but they are so uneven, that who knows which team will show up next week? I worry because Warner seems to just win in the playoffs, and proved it as recently as last year. Dangerous, dangerous team.

And I just hope somebody beat the Cowboys. Can't stand them.

Sorry about your Pats today, Madman. I think the Welker injury really hurt them, and something as benign as the sun seemed to play a major role in screwing them up in the first quarter today. Then, game seemed over by the time the second quarter started.

OK, where I'm from, we have no idea how to handle and egg-shaped ball. That is widely known. Therefore I am not really a football fan. Now, everything is a little different here. Not only that I'll stay up all night to watch the Super Ball live on TV back home (!) since a friend of mine invited me to a SuperBall party and to celebrate having me back ( :wub: ), but also since I watched the Jets beating the Bengals today in a sports bar (that was unbelievable! Really!) I do hope for them to make it to the SuperBowl, so I'll have a team to cheer for. (Although I know they don't stand a chance against the Chargers...)

Go Jets! :D

33-36599-B.jpg

I watched the Pats / Ravens game and just couldn't decide wether Welker being out really knocked the Pats out of all sense of rythme, or the Ravens' Defence was just that fired up. And I really didn't understand what wrong with New England in that first quarter. I hate them, (Miami fan) but they are a better team than showed up in that first quarter.

I really did not understand how anyone thought the Eagles were going to to anything different this week to last. They had no answer for the Cowboys the last week of the season, and had less last night.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Jets got INTO the playoffs, let alone advanced. Hopefully for the Jets' sake the Chargers are equally confused. But I doubt it. (or at least I hope not, don't like the Jets either. Nothing personal, Bob, it's a division rival thing)

And wow what a fun game last night. Ironic in a game where neither D did much all game that the OT ends on a Defensive touchdown. Hope the memory of Rogers' really good season is not erased by that one final play.

I think it would be really unfortunate if people didn't give Rodgers credit, not only for his season, but for his play yesterday. That final 3rd and long notwithstanding, he did an amazing job of getting his team back into the game. I think any team would be proud to have him starting under Center.

As for the Chargers, I haven't seen them play much. Since they are on the other side of the country, with a couple of exceptions, I've only seen their prime time games. So, I don't know what to think of them, one way or the other. I know several professional analists (my spelling :D ) are picking them to go the distance, and I know they have a tremendous QB, but that's about all I know. LT hasn't been himself for a couple years now, but maybe he's got it back this year? Shawn Merriman was all the rage a couple years ago, but he doesn't seem to be getting much individual attention right now. I know they won a bunch of games straight, but their schedule seems padded with weak teams just like everybody else (Saints included), so I don't know what that means for a game against a playoff team playing well. We shall see.

Two pretty good first halves... or at least one good first half (Indy/Balt) and a good first quarter.

And I like and respect Kurt Warner, but the man's my age. What are you thinking trying to make a tackle, dude? That hit was scary and funny at the same time.

I just felt sorry for the Ravens. They just couldn't get out of their own way. Costly, ill-timed, knuckleheaded penalties, hands that could not catch or hold onto the ball, and balls that just would not bounce their way. Manning didn't look his best, but obviously he didn't have to to beat the Ravens.

Two pretty good first halves... or at least one good first half (Indy/Balt) and a good first quarter.

And I like and respect Kurt Warner, but the man's my age. What are you thinking trying to make a tackle, dude? That hit was scary and funny at the same time.

I just felt sorry for the Ravens. They just couldn't get out of their own way. Costly, ill-timed, knuckleheaded penalties, hands that could not catch or hold onto the ball, and balls that just would not bounce their way. Manning didn't look his best, but obviously he didn't have to to beat the Ravens.

I like that Kurt Warner is still playing that hard. Now I guess he has a big decision to make does he comeback for the final year of his contract or start walking the road to Canton?

As for the Ravens whenever they have been frustrated this season their game has devolved into penalty after penalty. They lack mental toughness. I was shocked last week when they beat up my Pats the way they did but hey you can't win them all. Go Saints.

So... Romo is still a mediocre quarterback. Losing Adams didn't help, but despite all the hype, Romo and company just looked horrible.

And the Chargers too still prove they can figure out a way to lose the big game as well. Shame, I've been a fan of Rivers since I watched him play at NCSU, my old school, but somehow, someway they keeping losing these playoff games.

No idea who is going to the Super Bowl now.

I don't really know, either, but I'm hoping the Saints and Colts get there. Saints because I like them of course, and Colts because I don't want to see the Saints going up against that Jets defense. Holding the Chargers to 14 (almost 7)?? Wow. I know their kicker deserves some of the blame, but. . .

No offense to Miry, but I can't stand Rivers. He's my least favorite QB in the league because of how he acts on the field. Talking smack to guys 3 times his size who could rip his head off, knowing that they can't for fear of being penalized/fined, is really weak in my opinion. And tonight he threw a hissy fit after that INT he threw. He seems to act like a child with no filter on his behavior. Of course, he's not the only one on that team that could use a little discipline. They seemed to be so infatuated with the hype and themselves that they played really sloppy and did stupid stuff like kicking the challenge flag.

And I know this isn't something I should admit or be proud of, but I've never liked the Cowboys and enjoy watching Jerry Jones fall on his face. So, I enjoyed that one today :lol:

I just hope the Colts beat the Jets (which I believe they will) just because they were the ones that let the Jets have a chance at the playoffs. Had Indy not set out their top players in week 16 the Jets would probably have lost and would have been done for the season. If Indy loses, they deserve it.

No offense taken. I fully understand what make Rivers off-putting. He's a cocky little sunvagunn with a chip on his shoulder. Which meant he was a perfect fit for NC State back in the day, as we're considered the poor country cousin of Duke and UNC and have a pretty big attitude about it. (it's a case of the truth hurting, but that's another matter entirely.)

And Jerry Jones earned bit of glee he gets when he fails for what he did to Tom Landry.

And Indy is going to have to play WAY better than they did against the Ravens if they want to beat that fired up Jet's defense.

Watching the post-games, I'm getting the impression that the NFL press has their story in mind: Kid Sanchez vs Old Man Farve for the title. With of course Farve winning.

Watching the post-games, I'm getting the impression that the NFL press has their story in mind: Kid Sanchez vs Old Man Farve for the title. With of course Farve winning.

Agreed. I mean, where would be the interest in the two teams with the best records going at it? The only thing entertaining about the match up of Saints/Colts would be the game (and how would you get people interested in that?). The part I hate the most about football is the media-made hype stuff.

Maybe that is what the media wants (I can say that I've been watching ESPN First Take--it's been on for over an hour and they haven't said word one about the Saints, and only briefly talked about the Colts thus far. The Jets winning and Cowboys losing are apparently the biggest stories from the weekend). However, I can't believe sponsors or the powers-that-be want to see a boring, running team like the Jets in the Superbowl. Seems like Saints/Colts would bring most viewers because of the potential for scoring 70+ points each.

You mean the boring running team from the largest TV market in the country? Against the Sport's writers' favorite player... ever? Yeah, I think the powers that be would be fine with that.

The Jets defense is scary, and I am afraid Indy as a whole may underestimate them since their starters were beating them when last they met. I like the Colts in general, and think Manning is by far the best field general playing the game. But if there's such a thing as "playoff momentum" or a "hot team" the Jets fit that bill right now.

Similarly, the Viking defense impressed me more than Farve's offense. A month ago, I would have thought the Saints could handle it. And they looked good Saturday. But were the Saints that good, or were the Cards just spent from their game with Green Bay?

IMO the NFC championship game looks to be better than any of the possible Super Bowl configurations.

And for whatever reason there were words missing from my Jerry Jones sentence, so let me try this again: Mr. Jones has earned every bit enjoyment people take in his and his teams failures do to the disrespectful way he treated Tom Landry. A couple of rings doesn't wash that kind of Karma off.

I guess I've always figured that New York market was only in it for the Giants, but maybe you are right. However, Manning is the media darling. Unlike the New York teams, his popularity is truly national, as evidenced by all his commercials, SNL appearances, MVP awards (which are largely based on public perception in my opinion), etc.

You are certainly right that Favre brings the ratings, and for good reason. I think the biggest MNF game this year was Vikes/Packers for obvious reasons. But Saints/Pack wasn't far behind. I think either NFC team is a win for a national NFL audience this year.

And I am still watching First Take, and the 2nd (!) Vikings player is now being interviewed. They spent about 2 minutes talking about the Saints so far, and the only talk was of how their win wasn't very impressive b/c the Cardinals defense was so bad.

Screw you, ESPN.