UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dark Avengers box set

CortherX

Wait a second. I didn't think the blood bank paid you for donating?

Usually, no.

Plasma, on the other hand, that stuff you can find eople to pay you for. It's been a while, but I remember getting a descent amount for selling plasma for pocket money back in college.

theres also that way of donating where you make money hand over fist!!! :biggrin:

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two companies around here that I go to, who both presumably sell their blood to hospitals for blood replacement during surgeries, etc. Neither pay, though both give away t-shirts and cookies (you get cookies so that you don't pass out). Really sucks when they give you the option of: a ) t-shirt; or b ) free blood for you or your immediate family if needed in the next 6 months or so. What kind of option is that? You would have to be a jerk to pick the t-shirt, and yet I love using their t-shirts when I exercise! Can't they give you both? I mean, the t-shirt probably costs them $1 to produce.

Anyway. . .there are also bio-medical/pharmaceutical research companies that will pay you for your blood, but I've never actually gone to one of those places, so I have no idea how much they pay.

To Mirymate, you can also donate blood platelets or plasma separately to the companies that do not pay. I once did the "red blood cell" donation where they take 2 pints of blood (!), but pump most of it back into your body once they take what they need out of it. That was a horrible experience.

We should probably start up a "Help me make some money for SDCC!!!" thread :P

Back on topic: I could've sworn I had this vision somewhere where I saw a pic of the second DA set, with Ares wearing his signature helmet. I can't tell if I saw it on a website somewhere or in my dreams. God, I hate those moments <_<

Also, I just realized the AA blog about the second DA set said "SDCC #1". Obviously this implies they'll be having another exclusive. Of course, for all I know their second exclusive might be that Slimer/Venkman (or whatever... I can't tell anymore) Ghostbusters two-pack we'd been talking about. Or heck, it might not even be Minimate-related at all. Either way, I'll be crossing my fingers and contemplating the probability of DST springing yet another Minimate surprise for us... :blink:

With all of this coming out for the convention, I am really looking forward to what may be announced at the convention for the rest of the year. I'd bet on at least one more boxed set for around the holidays, and maybe another TRU wave.

This is great news! I'm going to give blood for sure, then on the show floor, I'm going to pull my band aid off and drip blood on my exclusives. Thus giving them "Battle Damage"

Thats a nice spin on battle damage :D Reminds me of when KISS put real blood into red inks for their comic ages ago.

On a different note, I haven't seen much buzz on here about the second DA set(unless I am missing it ). I am jazzed to the max about this set. I have hoped for a better sentry, and i think we got him, and fingers crossed for the next ares photo with his helmet on , which will be my #1 minimate accessory to date...c'mon helmet!

I think it's the over-saturation of mini-news. We have had so much announced in the last few weeks that this set isn't getting as much attention as it deserves.

However, as my avatar points out, I am personally really psyched about this set--much more than I am for the first DA and Thunderbolts sets, anyway. Mostly for the cool "Hawkeye", but also for the classic Ms. Marvel and barbarian Punisher guy.

Edited by karamazov80

I think it's the over-saturation of mini-news. We have had so much announced in the last few weeks that this set isn't getting as much attention as it deserves.

Speaking for myself, I feel kinda overwhelmed at the sheer number of Minimates that are coming this year - Minimate Shellshock, I suppose. I will appreciate each one when I have them, but right now they just feel like some sort of looming 2" tidal wave.

Speaking for myself, I feel kinda overwhelmed at the sheer number of Minimates that are coming this year - Minimate Shellshock, I suppose. I will appreciate each one when I have them, but right now they just feel like some sort of looming 2" tidal wave.

Yeah this sums up exactly how I feel, It's overload and I'm not sure how to cope either. Certainly a huge change from the year of drought we had a few years back.

Trying to keep up with these is going to suck as I have a very limited budget at the moment. The good news is that we have news on sets to be released all the way out til next year, so it's not like we are getting 7 boxsets at SDCC or anything... oh hang on!

T.

I'm just pissed/depressed at the idea of not being able to get the sets I want, due to not being able to go to SDCC, and Chicago Comic-Con not getting all (if any) of the exclusives.

Yes, they're only toys, and yes, it's sad that I'm depressed. My life sucks. Toys are all I have. Sue me.

I'm just pissed/depressed at the idea of not being able to get the sets I want, due to not being able to go to SDCC, and Chicago Comic-Con not getting all (if any) of the exclusives.

Yes, they're only toys, and yes, it's sad that I'm depressed. My life sucks. Toys are all I have. Sue me.

Stay calm! I'll say it yet again & if I'm patronising forgive me.......

.....I went to SDCC last year (groan) & if you think that this is the sure-fire way to secure stuff for yourself & your friends......forget it just forget it.

All this stuff will be available somewhere on-line ....perhaps at a premium but aren't we all *ucked by this obsession not to worry too much? :biggrin:

Edited by buttheadsmate

I don't think there is any evidence to justify panic. Even if they aren't available through typical channels (though I bet they will be), eBay mark-ups will likely be very minimal. You want to worry about paying high prices for missing something? Worry about LEGO, Hasbro, or Mattel exclusives.

I don't think there is any evidence to justify panic. Even if they aren't available through typical channels (though I bet they will be), eBay mark-ups will likely be very minimal. You want to worry about paying high prices for missing something? Worry about LEGO, Hasbro, or Mattel exclusives.

I purchased the Defenders set for about $6 US on eBay - the box had a bit of shelf-scuff, but the figures were still MIB. I found the Secret Invasion set o eBay for below retail as well. I'm pretty sure we wont have to worry too much about inflated prices, so long as people are smart & patient when searching for them.

I'm pretty sure we wont have to worry too much about inflated prices, so long as people are smart & patient when searching for them.

<Homer> OoooooOOh. But I want it Nooow! </Homer>

I purchased the Defenders set for about $6 US on eBay - the box had a bit of shelf-scuff, but the figures were still MIB. I found the Secret Invasion set o eBay for below retail as well. I'm pretty sure we wont have to worry too much about inflated prices, so long as people are smart & patient when searching for them.

That's me out, then...

Joking, sort of. :ermm:

This year they are giving us all kinds of stuff we have been asking for since before the drought. Boy did that suck, but this year is awesome so far! I made a checklist of the ghostbusters and terminator stuff, and the list is huge, plus 6 full waves of marvel at least and 4 SDCC/AFX exclusives, then 2 Secret Wars Boxes (those are this fall right?) and who knows how much else. Im crapping in my hat as we speak.

I hope you're crapping money into that hat because this year is getting kind of crazy. I'm at least hoping that with so many SDCC exclusives available, the after-market prices will be a bit lower.

then 2 Secret Wars Boxes (those are this fall right?)

TRU site says september... but 2 Secret Wars boxes... did I miss something on that thread besides all the death threats against the undead slag-spoutin' saurion?

for those not going to SDCC . . . I went sick as a dog last year just to get the Defenders and Iron Man box sets. Got the Defenders but couldn't find Iron Man.

I live in Long Beach (100 miles away) and the day after SDCC my local comic shop was carrying them. I'm debating even going this year just because my local shop says they'll have all the exclusives in-store afterwards. Not sure if this is the same elsewhere

for those not going to SDCC . . . I went sick as a dog last year just to get the Defenders and Iron Man box sets. Got the Defenders but couldn't find Iron Man.

I live in Long Beach (100 miles away) and the day after SDCC my local comic shop was carrying them. I'm debating even going this year just because my local shop says they'll have all the exclusives in-store afterwards. Not sure if this is the same elsewhere

See I might be just me in that I dont get people that go to SDCC mainly to pick up the exclusives!

There is so much to see and do there that making the decision based on just getting exclusives is akin going to a concert buying the tour T-shirt in the foyer and then leaving without hearing the band!

SDCC is a spectacle* and has some very intersting and worthwhile programming that shouldn't be overshadowed by the standing in line for small pieces of plastic that are usually available elsewhere after the event.

T.

* ( I still enjoy the memory of the look on BHM's face from last year, as we entered the main hall for the first time and his brain was going into overload at exactly how big the show is!)

* ( I still enjoy the memory of the look on BHM's face from last year, as we entered the main hall for the first time and his brain was going into overload at exactly how big the show is!)

Sounds like

. :P

Seriously, I think this whole SDCC thing is great fun and I'd love to join you folks!