UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dark Avengers box set

CortherX

sorry if this has been posted already in many of the other threads (i'm thinking it's possible in one of the poll threads) but there's going to be a San Diego comic-con exclusive Dark Avengers box set. now, while this could be very exciting, i feel as though they kinda blew it with the characters included. Iron Patriot was a given... and Marvel Boy is cool... but Daken as Wolverine and Venom as Spider Man??? really? i would have loved to get an Aries and Ms Marvel over these 2 ANY day! it's basically gonna be brown and yellow Wolvie with different claws, and back-in-black Spider Man... again. ugh.

Edited by CortherX

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. . .first I've seen of it. Though Minimates almost always tend to impress, this doesn't strike me as particularly interesting.

http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?nam...e&sid=24703

Do they really just look like the regular heroes, excluding Iron Man?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/27967...s_2.0_large.jpg

Apparently, there is a GB2 Venkman/Stay Puft 2 pack exclusive, as well. That's a surprise.

http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?nam...e&sid=24705

Edited by karamazov80

This was a no-brainer set for an exclusive. There's no way they could pass up a team with a Wolverine and a Spider-Man on it. Disappointed by Venom-Spidey and Daken-Wolverine, excited about Marvel Boy, thinking Ares is a shoo-in for a future release now.

Much more excited about glow-in-the-dark Staf-Puff Marshmallow Minimate...

AFX posts all this information and more on their blog, and adds this little tidbit:

"We are also planning a Minimates box set which will make a PERFECT compliment to the Dark Avengers set. We'll just leave it at that for now..."

Cool! and not cool. The news of this set excites me, but I would've rather had ANY version of classic Ms. Marvel. Stargirl head, original Six(BSG) hair. BAM!!! Oh well SM and Wolvie variations were a given. :rolleyes: Just had an epiphany- Norman Osbourne head+ Villians set GG= unmasked GG.(quick customs are fun :P )

Edited by bilbofett

Brilliant news. Just for the chance of getting some sort of classic Ms Marvel. The Iron Patriot is a cool design the others I can take or leave. The other good news for me is that it shows that DST and AA are trying to get stuff out that is in current taste, especially if they can be released while the comic story is ongoing.

Ok no Ms Marvel :( that sucks.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

We might get her with the "complimentary" set that Boyd references. Anyone familiar with this comic have ideas as to what this set might be?

• Moonstone as Ms. Marvel
  • Bullseye as Hawkeye
  • Ares
  • Sentry (redo?)
That's the rest of the team to my knowledge.

We might get her with the "complimentary" set that Boyd references. Anyone familiar with this comic have ideas as to what this set might be?

Now that I've thought about it, my worst fear would be an Avengers set to match their Dark Avengers counterparts:

Iron Man

Spider-Man

Wolverine

new Luke Cage (Marvel Boy doesn't really have a current Avengers counterpart).

Though I'd love it if they did a new Mighty Avengers box set:

Wasp (Hank Pym)

Jocasta

Stature

Jarvis (no chance, but I dare to dream...)

Not a bad set, not great but not bad.

Iron patriot and Marvel boy will be nice additions. The Daken as Wolverine (brown costume) hopefully will an upgrade over the original. Minimate details and parts have improved a lot since the original brown costume wolverine. However, Venom as spiderman is a letdown. It will probably just be a black costume spiderman with a power chest....Yawn <_< .

So I'm thinking a 'complimentary' set would be something that ties in with the Team, but isn't necessarially the rest of the team (because where's the fun in that?) :)

The first thing that pops to my head is a Thunderbolts set. It's the team that used to be headed by Norman Osborne, So I could see it as something like Venom, Bullseye, Moonstone, and Songbird.

And on second thought it could be a traditional Avengers set. It's the team that Norman Osborne effectively stole, so it could be either the current New Avengers (Cap, Ronin, Spidey, and Iron Fist) or the now defunct Mighty Avengers (Iron Man, Wasp, Ares, Sentry)

Regardless, I can't wait!

sorry if this has been posted already in many of the other threads (i'm thinking it's possible in one of the poll threads) but there's going to be a San Diego comic-con exclusive Dark Avengers box set. now, while this could be very exciting, i feel as though they kinda blew it with the characters included. Iron Patriot was a given... and Marvel Boy is cool... but Daken as Wolverine and Venom as Spider Man??? really? i would have loved to get an Aries and Ms Marvel over these 2 ANY day! it's basically gonna be brown and yellow Wolvie with different claws, and back-in-black Spider Man... again. ugh.

Amen - in fact, i just wrote the same thing in the poll thread:

'Man - what a waste. Do we need Venom as SpiderMan? He's really just a Symbiote/Back in Black Spiderman, right? I'd much rather see a Ms. Marvel (Karla Sofen) put in. Or how about giving us an Ares?

To be honest - i'm even kind of bummed they are inluding Daken. . . He's essentially another Wolverine. With the execption of some black sharpie on one arm & a little claw re-arranging, he's pretty much a wave 8 Gaijin Wolvie.

Hawkeye looks pretty much the same, so i'm glad they left him out.'

(I know i'm just re-inforcing views already given in this thread - but it's cause i copy+pasted my comments from another thread. I figured this was a more appropriate place to vent my anger)

Edited by Nessex

Sorry, but this set really bites. A SDCC exclusive set should be a chance to make characters that wouldn't do as well at retail. So what do we get? More Iron Man, Wolverine, and Spider-Man variations. And Marvel Boy becomes a Minimate before Captain Marvel. Bah.

Eh, I think we should give this box set the benefit of the doubt until we get pictures of them before really judging. After all, Civil War was just another "Captain America, Iron Man, and Spidey". Who knows, Venom could be feral and really interesting.

Eh, I think we should give this box set the benefit of the doubt until we get pictures of them before really judging. After all, Civil War was just another "Captain America, Iron Man, and Spidey". Who knows, Venom could be feral and really interesting.

Yes, and I personally was completely disappointed that the Civil War set included those characters instead of, say, Speedball or Captain Marvel. Same thing with Wolverine's inclusion in the Secret Invasion box set. I'm not saying they won't look nice in the end, but the character selection is still poor.

The people choosing the characters are getting less and less creative: I mean, the Secret Invasion set really sucked. like what hellpop said, Civil War also kinda sucked. Now the Dark Avengers have An-Freakin-other Wolverine and Spider-Man. :down:

The people choosing the characters are getting less and less creative: I mean, the Secret Invasion set really sucked. like what hellpop said, Civil War also kinda sucked. Now the Dark Avengers have An-Freakin-other Wolverine and Spider-Man. :down:

NO!!11!!1 It's Daken and Venom! Never get it wrong again, sir! They are sooper original.

My feelings are what they always are on this stuff. If they can put out stuff like this that doesn't float everybody's boat, but does tie it in to something bigger which will pull in more than just the usual Minimate fans, more power to 'em. At this point, I think we should be thankful for anything that comes our way. Most toy lines don't make it this far and anything that keeps it going is good to me.

Yay on Iron Patriot and Marvel Boy!!!! (Noh-Varr, right?)

Boo on Daken and Venom!!!!

My guess on the "complementary" set: Either Mighty Avengers ("new Wasp" Hank Pym, Jocasta, Jarvis, Amadeus Cho, etc.) or (wait for it).... WAR OF KINGS!

Vulcan

Black Bolt

Medusa

Crystal

new Havok

Gladiator

Hound Rachel

take your pick ...

... okay, probably went a little trigger-happy there. Other guesses:

New New Thunderbolts

Young Avengers (the X-Men don't get an "evil" counterpart, but the Young Avengers do)

Guardians of the Galaxy

*gasp* THE CABAL! (The Hood, femLoki, etc.)

The... Illuminati? (the first one with Mr Fantastic, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Professor X, Namor, Black Bolt)

Edited by NorthRaider

Saw this coming. Didn't think it'd suck so much.

Honestly, there are only three good parts to this: Norman Osborne (overdo), Iron Patriot armor, and Noh-Varr. The rest is a sh*tload of suck. Oh, wait, we could include one more thing: hopefully we get nice box art. <.<

Seriously, when i prayed for a DA set a ways back, i expected an IP, MB, MM, and Ares or Daken in it. We got three of those, and one is gonna suck. (Unless we get the mohawk. Then i'd give Dak a chance) Honestly, Part Deux best be containing Moonestone/Ms. Marvel, or DST loses 10 creativity points in my book. The only issue is that i see 2 being mass market (well, if you call LCSes mass market ;)) so that rules out anything not including a Big 5. Ugh.

Rant semi-over...for now...

My feelings are what they always are on this stuff. If they can put out stuff like this that doesn't float everybody's boat, but does tie it in to something bigger which will pull in more than just the usual Minimate fans, more power to 'em. At this point, I think we should be thankful for anything that comes our way. Most toy lines don't make it this far and anything that keeps it going is good to me.

I whole heartily agree with your assessment groundhog7s:

"At this point, I think we should be thankful for anything that comes our way. Most toy lines don't make it this far and anything that keeps it going is good to me."

More Marvel Minimates is always good news in my book. :D We may not all get the Marvel characters we want (now), but at least we're getting some releases. Remember what happened to DC minimates...

Edited by HelloMate

Yeah - i hear you. But lets be a little fair to the fans. Do we need a box set with Spiderman Ironman & Wolverine. I can understand putting a big hitter into a boxset to help it sell (Like wolverine in Secret Invasion), But to take 2 or 3 spots in a box-set away from unreleased characters kinda grinds my gears.

Edited by Nessex