UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

No Stan Lee Minimate?!

Okay maybe this has been covered before so if it has I apologize. I was reading in another thread (the Ant-man movie 'mates I believe) that someone was looking at prts for a Stan Lee Minimate and I thought "wait, Stan Lee doesn't have a Minimate? How could that be?" So I did a quick search at MMDB and sure enough, no Stan Lee listed. So I ask, why haven't we gotten a Stan Lee Minimate? I don't think his likeness rights are included in the Marvel license but others have produced figures of him (Marvel Legends, retro Mego style, minifigure with that Spurlock Comicon movie) It just doesn't seem right that "the face" of Marvel comics hasn't been reproduced in Minimate form. If he was available I'd buy a LOT just to recreate all his Marvel Movie characters. Maybe its time I delve into the "Ask DST" waters and see what Chuck has to say.

I was thinking of getting either a MotUC Standor (to represent ‘the creator’) or a NECA Simpsons Stan Lee (to represent ‘the man’) and putting it among my minimates.

As a minimate he’d blend into the crowd and become ‘old man next to Spider-man', but as a larger figure he’d have the appropriate larger then life look his persona demands.

I don't really want a Stan Lee Minimate unless we also get a Jack Kirby Minimate.

Maybe an entire wave of famous comic book writers/artists. Man, imagine what Alan Moore would look like as a Minimate....

Something like this, I'd imagine:

fig1830flg.jpg

(Hail Ivan!)

Edited by Glantern

I don't really want a Stan Lee Minimate unless we also get a Jack Kirby Minimate.

Maybe an entire wave of famous comic book writers/artists. Man, imagine what Alan Moore would look like as a Minimate....

Something like this, I'd imagine:

fig1830flg.jpg

(Hail Ivan!)

Moore's claws are longer

DST could offer a Minimate that resembled Stan Lee but they couldn't market it as such. They could be sly and offer parts here and there to facilitate a quick custom (essentially the first Build-a-mate) and those parts could be spread across multiple lines.

Personally I'd approach it as a charity Minimate. Get Stan and Robert Kirkman and Kevin Smith to help DST support the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund or whatever by lending their names and likenesses to a box set of comic creators. Sell it at whatever comic cons DST attends throughout the year.

DST gets a tax write off and some good press. Fans get Minimates of their favorite comic book icons.

I'm thinking getting a Lee 'Mate as a Mallrats 2 figure would probably be easiest, once the time comes. Lee doesn't strike me as a guy who has a particular interest in charities, though I could be wrong about that. And since his connection to Marvel isn't what it used to be, it seems like he would be more on board if the figure had something to do with one of his current projects that he could better promote.

But the reason I want Kirby isn't just because I want a bunch of creator Minimates, but because Kirby gets the shaft so often in terms of credit for creating so much of the Marvel U. In recent years folks have come to better recognize Kirby's contributions, but seeing Kirby get more attention with things like collectibles would be a nice gesture in that direction.

Edited by karamazov80

But the reason I want Kirby isn't just because I want a bunch of creator Minimates, but because Kirby gets the shaft so often in terms of credit for creating so much of the Marvel U. In recent years folks have come to better recognize Kirby's contributions, but seeing Kirby get more attention with things like collectibles would be a nice gesture in that direction.

This x 1000.

This x 1000.

Yes.

Also, make Forbush Man.

I'm thinking getting a Lee 'Mate as a Mallrats 2 figure would probably be easiest, once the time comes. Lee doesn't strike me as a guy who has a particular interest in charities, though I could be wrong about that. And since his connection to Marvel isn't what it used to be, it seems like he would be more on board if the figure had something to do with one of his current projects that he could better promote.

Stan Lee Foundation

He's a big proponent of adolescent literacy and reading skills. I agree though, a non-Marvel related Stan would probably be the best approach; his role is more of a figurehead than anything.

I agree about Kirby. I love Stan and I don't get the vitriol people have against him but I get the feelings towards Kirby getting the shaft, and he should definitely be included. But, no way would his estate allow it I think.

Long story short: yea, i'd love a Stan. If not, just give us a convenient Willie Lumpkin.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face