UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 64: Crouching Minimate, Secret Wars...

Zexion_Armando

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have BHM's reading history.... but until i came to this board, i had no idea who Stegron was. As an X-fan, i did know who Shanna & Sauron were.

I think DST used the Savage Wolverine title to release those two. Shanna was on every other cover of Savage Wolverine when Marvel Now! launched it... and they were fighting against an army of Saurons Reapers.

I'm willing to admit, though, that i *may* have over-looked the oddness of this release because it played right into my collecting wants.

And it's a bit of a given that we still want Ka-Zar & Zabu. Chuck them in a Savage Land 4-pack with Stegron and Sauron (with tattered pants) and all will be forgiven biggrin.png

(and lets through in a mini Garokk idol accessory for good measure tongue.png )

Edited by Nessex

Ive been wanting a stegron since minimates started, theres a very nice custom from someone floating around on here as well.

EDIT - Thought to be fair I've always wanted more obscurities like myself to get their mates.

Edited by arnim zola

Yeah, Shanna was the co-star in the relaunched Marvel Now Wolverine book, and they fought Saurons Reapers. That was a NOW wave, and Wolverine/Reaper was the corresponding set at TRU, which was also a NOW wave. Shanna is arguably more popular than Ka-Zar, thanks to Frank Cho, and it seemed like a timely way to introduce an army-builder pterodactyl.

And I don't see Chuck saying Toad and Abomination were movie-dependent in any Ask DSTs in the past couple of years, but Toad has definitely been out of the spotlight for a long time, or at least unrecognizable in whatever spotlight he's in. And Abomination we're talking about a upgrade, which he needs, but it's still a bonus round for a dead guy. (Toad may also be dead, I do not know.) Neither is something you can pull off with existing tooling, so to plan for one of them in a wave, he has to fit into the theme, and you have to make sure you can tool him, which may not always be possible due to time/space restrictions.

Honestly, I think it's just a diceroll, why those two figures have not happened. One day they'll just make sense somewhere.

Even the current 64 line-up may change. We'll see, I guess.

(Toad may also be dead, I do not know.)

Toad was in Wolverine and the X-Men for quite most of the run as the janitor and was in a relationship with Husk. Not a 'starring role' - but still present. Edited by Nessex

(Toad may also be dead, I do not know.)

Toad was in Wolverine and the X-Men for quite most of the run as the janitor and was in a relationship with Husk. Not a 'starring role' - but still present.

I vaguely recall hearing about that storyline, but if he was dressed like a janitor most of the time, that may have inspired my comment about being unrecognizable in the spotlight. Not that I'm looking for reasons for us not to make Toad, it's just hard to think about Medieval-Jester-Suit Toad after the movie, and his custodial gig.

Was Chris Bachalo on that book for a while? I used to love Bachalo when he was on Gen X, but his new art style is not my favorite, so I will admit to not going out of my way to read it, and to not being able to recognize many of the characters he draws, especially if their costumes have changed significantly.

I wish Series 60 had been bigger!

Edited by DSTZach

Was Chris Bachalo on that book for a while? I used to love Bachalo when he was on Gen X, but his new art style is not my favorite, so I will admit to not going out of my way to read it, and to not being able to recognize many of the characters he draws, especially if their costumes have changed significantly.

I wish Series 60 had been bigger!

Yeah - it was Bachalo for a bit i think. And you're right about him.... his older art seemed more iconic (and made sense).

I'm just reading Gen X now... and i'm surprised by how much fun it is. Say what you will about the 90's.... but there's some good stuff there. I particularly loved his Gen Next designs. That huge, hulking Colossus that always had one bulging eye looked awesome.

When you say 'Bigger' - do you mean you wish the wave had been more of a success or that you could have fit more characters into it?

Edited by Nessex

Bachelo was a GOD when he was doing Shade and Death for Vertigo. His Marvel stuff was a step down from that, but still good. His stuff the last few years... I dunno, man. When you're Chris Bachelo, why do you want to be Humberto Ramos? It's nuts.

Zach, if the Howard/Dazzler set is cancelled...

sost.gif