UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Book Men

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hate the show, but really love minimates....for the first time collecting minimates I am conflicted.

I'm buying Big Bang Theory Minimates, so I'm not AS conflicted, but I too have a strong dislike for this awful show.

And I usually love stuff Smith is involved in.

Wait, so the dreadful Big Bang Theory, with it's corny forced lame humor, is good enough for you, but this show is awful?

Different strokes for different folks. I like the guys on this show, how they give each other a hard time is fun for me.

Not sure we need Minimates of them, but I would probably buy them anyway.

I never said that. I was making a point that if I'm planning to buy the BBT Minimates as much as I hate that show, then I'll still buy these, because I like them about the same (which is not in the slightest). I hate both. Both are unfunny wastes of my time. But I love Minimates. Which was my point.

Walt & Bryan seem like terrible people (they weren't that nice when I met them at a con once), and their picking on Ming is one of the many reasons I stopped watching after the first episode. Bullying isn't fun or funny.

I don't see it as bullying, he gets paid to work there and definitely could get a new job if he wanted. Their relationships are why I like the show personally. I guess it's all perspective.

I don't know, I feel like a lot of that is just the fact that they're all friends. There doesn't ever seem to be malicious intent behind it. They're just a bunch of middle-aged geeks spouting off insults at one another in a comic shop. Plus it's a TV show. They take weeks of footage and put in the "funny" parts (i.e. The 10 times over a few month period that Bry or Walt pick on Ming).

It also seems incredible scripted, so I imagine it's not how they actually feel about each other. Pretty sure they rarely actually work with each other when not in front of the camera.

I watched the first couple seasons and then it tapered off for me when it wasn't on after Talking Dead. Fun show but definitely not "good tv" by any means. I may pick these up, i like the guys enough. Leagues above Big Bang Theory, that's for sure.

If you listen to their podcast, you'll see this really is how they act with each other. For what it's worth, an executive at AMC told them they make fun of Ming too much, and Ming himself complained that he didn't want it to change.

My friends and I act in a similar way, it's ball-breaking but it's good natured.

Harassment is harassment, it doesn't matter if it's coming from your "friends", and just because he's getting paid doesn't mean he deserves to be treated that way, or that "he could leave if he doesn't like it". That's victim blaming.

Wow. My closest friends are the people I like giving the hardest time to. They like to give me a hard time. I thought it was a part of friendship?

Sure, they are rough on Ming, but I'm sure they would be the first guys to defend him. I think that's pretty obvious. But you don't see it that way, I guess.

So you're just mad Walt and Bryan weren't nice to you (thus making them terrible people?). Hey that's cool, I don't know why you have a quandary about buying Minimates of stuff you hate. Do you really need to buy every Minimate ever made? I love Minimates but it's really easy for me to pass on stuff I have no interest in - especially stuff I hate, like the Big Bang Theory. They have so many different licenses, you don't gotta catch 'em all! (Hmm. Pokemon Minimates?)

While these aren't quite for me (I do occassionally watch the show, though), these do make perfect sense to go along with the rest of the Kevin Smith collection. Smith's 'mate does seem a bit vague since he's lost the weight!

Hey hey hey, can we get back to sticking Minimates up people's asses?

Agreed, wait, what?? Is that going to be a new warning label on the packaging: "not intended for ages 0-3" and "avoid placing in various orifices"

Let's keep the topic on the toys instead of bickering with each other; this isn't a Kevin Smith movie thumbsup.gif