UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Secret Wars (III?)

Lobsterman

Well now. This is fucking interesting.

... I'll have to decide if I like it at some point won't I? Well this just means that I can officially complete the Ultimate Universe collection by getting the trades of everything that happened in the last five years.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is LITERALLY everything you need to know about Secret Wars, where Marvel is going and why Jonathan Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers is truly Exemplary and well written work, and quite possibly the best Avengers run of the modern era

Fixed

Fixed

dont think anyone said reboot? seems more like integration of other universes characters and concepts, so everything prior has happened, but now new stuff will be happening (thats what I got from the panel at least)

a reboot constitutes that they disregard past continuity, that is not the case, this seems more like a change in status quo.

Its a relaunch not a reboot

and superhero comics are like 95% stunts and gimmicks by nature, its part of the fun

If they're merging universes it's going to be more than a simple status quo change and a bunch of new #1 issues. I'm sure they'll come up with a different phrase for it (large-scale continuity adjustment) but it will be practically the same thing.

And I guess we have different definitions of fun because I hate the hype and fondly remember the days when we could go a whole ten minutes without a supposedly earth-shattering event.

Edited by stack32

Apparently you have the internet, I would suggest looking it up. It wouldn't take very long to get a historical perspective and I'm sure plenty of digital ink has been spilled on the topic.

Various strategies have been around to one degree or another for decades, but the current trend of going mere weeks between events, if not overlapping them, has been going on for less than ten years. It's the same thing with launching new volumes with new #1s; it's always happened but until fairly recently it didn't happen at near the same frequency. I think it all reeks of desperation, but apparently some people like it.

I'm split on this. On one hand, I like the fact that 50 years of history wasn't flushed down the toilet. On the other, this seems VERY convoluted. I suppose it all comes down to how they execute the story, but this is not looking good to me. Just watching the live stream showed that the creative team is kinda making it up as they go along. I mean, all the teasers that they have released are supposed to mix together to form our single new MARVEL Universe. That seems very complicated and unattractive to readers, new and old.

Part of me wishes they had just done a hard reboot. Now I am probably on the younger side of most fans, so I didn't grow up in the silver age. I did however grow up reading the silver age comics. I've been collecting The Amazing Spider-Man with my dad for over 10 years and we almost have the full run. Looking at all the comics I have reminds me how I miss the silver age type stories. I'd love to get back to basics and reintroduce the "villain of the month" style of storytelling.

I'm tired of monthly events that constantly "change the universe", and I'm tired of radical changes to characters. I'm all for natural story progression, but at this point MARVEL doesn't feel like MARVEL anymore. It's at the point where I don't even recognize Peter Parker as a character. He's lost his charm (and that's not due to Slott, I've actually liked his run), and he doesn't stand up for the day-to-day goings on of New York.

If a cold reboot is what is need to tell quality stories about the characters we all grew up with, then I would welcome it with open arms. Perhaps Secret Wars is the answer, but I don't have high hopes. I'll give MARVEL this one, last chance. As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think I can go through another disappointing storyline. Spidey has shaped me as a person, so I hope they do him right and do some great stuff with this new universe.