UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Secret Wars (III?)

Lobsterman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand "event fatigue" really. If there are an asinine number of tie ins that you NEED - like DCs Countdown or Final Crisis where key events happened outside of the main title - then ok, yah, I get it. But when it's done right, the stories can be fun and the tie ins can just be a nice bonus to heighten the experience

I don't think this will be a reboot a la DC.

Marvel has been consistent and proud of their continuity universe. Based on their 10 year sliding scale, and that they work changes into events, they doesn't need a reboot and they know it.

This will be more of a "crisis" event; changes will come out of it, sure, but it won't make any stories "invalid" or non-canon like DC did.

"All-New X-Men" is a play on words -- the old team from back when they were new, shoved into current stories. And of course it's also referencing when they switched out the "Uncanny" qualifier for "All-New, All-Different" back in the '70s.

I guess it's silly that they've used it on other titles since then, but I still think it's a clever name for the X-Men book. Also there's no way Marvel editorial isn't in on the joke of their constant renumbering/renaming thing at this point, I mean they released a comic called "All-New Marvel NOW! Point One #1.NOW" a while back.

I spent yesterday looking at dozens of classic Marvel covers and I could hear Stan Lee dictating each one of them in his trademark, sales-pitch voice:

PAGE AFTER PAGE OF PULSE-POUNDING FURY! DOUBLE-SIZED DYNAMITE FROM THE HOUSE OF IDEAS!

KING KIRBY IS BACK-- AND GREATER THAN EVER!

PERHAPS THE MOST ACTION-PACKED CAP THRILLER OF 'EM ALL!

WHEN WAKES The SLEEPER!

THE COMING OF The MAN BRUTE!

NOW BEGINS THE NIGHTMARE!

PLEASE! YOU MUST NOT REVEAL THIS ISSUE'S SHATTERING SHOCK ENDING!

WOW-EEEEE! JUST WAIT'LL YOU MEET OL' MATT MURDOCK'S SWINGIN' TWIN BROTHER! ENTER THE LEAP FROG!

IT'S ONE OF OUR LEAST INSPIRED TITLES... BUT THE STORY'S A BLAST!! "STILT-MAN STRIKES AGAIN!"

All this marketing jargon reminded me why I never read Marvel as a kid. Every cover was like a loud, annoying infomercial begging me to buy that issue. It was in-my-face guerilla salesmanship and I didn't appreciate it.

I know nostalgia's a powerful drug and clearly that's what Marvel's banking on heavily for Summer 2015 but as someone who's only recently gotten into Marvel Comics, this event is doing nothing to pique this reader's curiosity. But hey...

Excelsior!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to Marvel.com, THE ANNOUNCEMENT TO END ALL ANNOUNCEMENTS is coming on Tuesday, January 20th at 3PM EST.

DC have bought them out smile.png

Marvel buys DC and reboots all of the DC books, 1st with a set of summer Marvel annuals co-starring a DC character who will then get their own series based on reader voting.