UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Underrated 'mates

Valo487

Since the board has been quiet in the wake of Toyfair, at least until DoFP and GotG pics turn up, I thought I'd try to get some conversation going. The idea is what Marvel 'mates are you a big fan of that you don't see talked about very often?

The first that came to my mind was the Punisher: Warzone box set. Whatever your feelings about the movie, I thought the amount of effort DST put into this box set was very clear, and I was very excited to get a Jigsaw, as well as a small armory's worth of weapons.

What say you?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite underrated mates is Lady Loki... Just one of the best mates to me, based on a, what, costume that lasted liike 5-6 months. But since its older, no one ever talks about it (Also, it came with a really ugly Thor lol)

So glad we got it, cause that is my defacto Loki, lol.

Edited by Zexion_Armando

Yeah, I remember reading a brilliant review of that War Zone boxset on Minimates Central back in the day. . .

I don't know if I would say that they are underrated, but there isn't a great deal of talk about the DC Minimates, which to this day were among the very best Minimates ever made.

I discovered two today. Ninja Yukio is a surprisingly good mate, but Prisoner Wolverine outright shocked me how amazing he is. He is hands down one of my favorite minimates, and stands out even among a tide of Wolverines.

Any of the Fatales would also make my list, especially Little Red or Madness Alice.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Recently ....the Expendables ,not perfect by any means but they deserved far better recognition than any I ever saw here.....the Unmentionedatalls .

Generally.....what Sam said ,DC 'mates were leagues ahead of their contemporary Marvel 'mates .

TRU BSG 'mates .......so much better than the earlier waves ,so much so that they often look like different toys altogether.

Thundercats .....I knew zilch about the property ....still don't ....but who can resist them ?

Marvel 'mates generally get the acclaim they deserve & despite my occasional gripe ....they get better & better . Recently ? Does Onslaught get the rating he deserves? In the flesh it is such a beautiful Minimate.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Does Onslaught get the rating he deserves? In the flesh it is such a beautiful Minimate.

I'm sure you mean plastic not flesh. smile.png

99% of minimates look better then when you see them in photo's. there is usually a redeeming feature to even the worse ones. Even Riot Spidey had his cast.

off the top of my head, I can think of a few minimates that in my opinion are some of the best made, but I rarely hear them talked about.

Sentry- From the Dark Avengers boxset. such a well done mate, visually just so nice to look at, and the figure itself had some of the nicest plastic, excellent paint applications. Is it due to the (lacking) popularity of the character? he's in my top 10 all time mates.

Ares- Don't know if he's underated or not, but I don't see him talked about too much on here. another top 10 for me. That helmet alone is in my top 5 minimate parts.

Dr.Fate- almost like the Sentry, He is one of my all time favorites. Love his helmet, too! Everyone I have has such great paint applications, and his joints (like most of the DC mates) are very smooth. Not sure if we are just too far removed from DC mates for them to be discussed regularly, but they still hold up so well against most new Marvel ones (in my opinion, ;-p )

Blue Beetle- Another DC mate I love, one of the all-time best costume designs of any character, and period. Great mate, great paint, great quality plastic. Just another case of DC being over with, and these just coming out years ago?

Definitely the Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts (the OzBolts) box sets (reasons why coming later).

First up, the Dark Avengers: Dark Reign was one of my favorite events so it comes as no surprise that i absolutely love that era. When i first got into minimates these and the T-Bolts grabbed my immediate attention. Unfortunately, i couldn't purchase them at the time due to the high cost. But thanks to BHM i finally had them in

The quality is phenomenal since colors are crisp, the details are plenty and the sculpted pieces are executed very well. They featured some new characters (ares, marvel boy, daken) a great new "symbiote spidey" (i absolutely LOVE the Mac head so i made a civvie Mack mate and kept the normal fig as my default Symbiote spidey) who has to be amongst my top 10 mates, two "updates" (moonstone could be used as a classic Ms.Marvel and Bullseye was a great modern Hawkeye stand-in), one real update (agin, this sentry gets a spot in my top 10 mates as well) and a new look for a classic character (the iron patriot).

Thunderbolts: The OzBolts era was one of my favorites as well so i LOVED that set. The alternate looks were excellent, we got a new villain (Chen), a new "hero" (Penance) a new version of a classic character (venom) and a civvie Osborn. Again, the details were great and the colors crisp and vibrant.

Edited by Kostisfire

I loved the Thunderbolts box set, we got two relatively obscure villains and two new versions of the others. DST could put out a box set of the different Thunderbolts lineups every year and it would suit me.

I definitely was into the Expendables 'mates, I bought two of each set just for the extra weapons.

I'm always a bit surprised whenever we talk about the best 'mates of all and Mysterio doesn't immediately come up. He's amazing. I don't know if he's overlooked, but he should be on everyone's short list for best ever. AF Spider-Man is probably my favorite Spidey too.

Blue Beetle- Another DC mate I love, one of the all-time best costume designs of any character, and period. Great mate, great paint, great quality plastic. Just another case of DC being over with, and these just coming out years ago?

When I was thinking about DC Minimates last night, this is the first one that came to mind. Probably still my favorite officially produced Minimate, though I am a bit biased, as that figure was the primary reason I got into Minimates to begin with.

I discovered two today. Ninja Yukio is a surprisingly good mate, but Prisoner Wolverine outright shocked me how amazing he is. He is hands down one of my favorite minimates, and stands out even among a tide of Wolverines.

I don't have any of the new ones, but I had pretty much all of the Wolvie: Origins movie-mates, and though I think they are boring to look at as a whole, and have no real place for them in my collection, when I took the time to look at them carefully, they were some extremely well done figures. Even something like Wolvie wearing a wifebeater was a very nice, detailed, quality figure.

The whole of Wave 19 is underrated .

I'm not a fan of Apocalypse, but love that Spidey and Mysterio. Non-variant Archangel is also a very nice figure. I think that wave came out at a kind of turning point for the line as a whole, when you compare the pretty lackluster wave 16 to that one.

I like the utility of some mates and think it makes them pretty awesome. By utility, I mean versatility. Take the transforming Hulk and Thing minimates, for example. Two minimates in one and there really is no sacrafice of quality for the added play value. I think it shows real ingenuity to put such good engineering into such a small toy.

The whole of Wave 19 is underrated .

I'm not a fan of Apocalypse, but love that Spidey and Mysterio. Non-variant Archangel is also a very nice figure. I think that wave came out at a kind of turning point for the line as a whole, when you compare the pretty lackluster wave 16 to that one.
2008 was a seminal moment for Marvel Minimates & the DC Minimate IMHO had something to do with that .

In the space of a year or so we went from Minimates with maybe a few sculpts & minimal facial features (a line for a mouth in some extreme 'for examples') to Minimates like Iron-Monger. Everybody raves about Hulkbuster (& rightly so) but Iron Monger & BD Iron Monger are really bad underrated mongerfockers.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I loved the Thunderbolts box set, we got two relatively obscure villains and two new versions of the others. DST could put out a box set of the different Thunderbolts lineups every year and it would suit me.

I definitely was into the Expendables 'mates, I bought two of each set just for the extra weapons.

I know right? The T-Bolts have some of the best rosters to grace comics so anything with the T-Bolts name (or characters that have featured on those books) DST puts out i'll buy. Gunn did say that T-Bolts is one of his dream properties so if GotG does well we might get a T-Bolts movie!