UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Underrated 'mates

Valo487

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool thread. I agree with a lot of the suggestions, notably morbius, mysterio, ms marvel and ultron.

I would also add into the mix the first taskmaster - good comic likeness of a classic villain with a lot of accessories for its time; balder the brave - a good representation of a classic supporting character (though I am a big classic thor fan and there's not been much to get excited about lately in that area so maybe some bias here! lol) and yellowjacket - rarely mentioned but he looks great. Oh yeah, and secret invasion beast - leaving aside his "green" issues he captures the look of the era he originates from superbly imo.

Ha!, I was going to add yellowjacket, and that beast, but didn't want to get carried away. I also love that Balder, but Think that the Loki from that era is one of the finest minimates out there.

Edited by Nervous Rex

TRU BSG 'mates .......so much better than the earlier waves ,so much so that they often look like different toys altogether.

The jump in quality really was huge on these, and pulled me into a line I had zero interest in previously. The latest Star Trek mates were a similar deal for me (though a less striking improvement).

While their teammates haven't held up as well, I still really love Astonishing Cyke and Wolvie.

I think the Friends & Foes Doc Ock never got the respect it deserves, perhaps because he was in such a disappointing set and the arms were tricky to get in? He looks spot-on to me.

Oh, and the battle-damaged Mr. Fantastic from the World War Hulk 2-pack is one of my favourite mates. I have no idea why, I'm not usually big on battle-damaged mates and I don't display him with the stretch base, there's just something about that one in person.

Taskmaster, moon knight, and the Sentinel are among some of my absolute favorites. Wave 19, as others have said, was maybe the first case of "pure gold" in a single wave, and the Green Goblin/bd Spidey 2pack is one of the best ever, if not "under rated" per se

Grim Reaper, i wouldnt say he is underrated but i felt he was overshadowed due to Kang being the villain in the set adjacent to his

hes a fantastic figure with very effective new sculpts (his scythe hand is awesome)

Legacy

fig1343flg.jpg

Little Red

fig1312flg.jpg

Hail Ivan

My praises for Little Red can not be sung enough. And Rogue is often over looked because 1) she doesn't have a spare hair piece 2) she's in a "weak" box set and 3) she isn't Modern Rogue. All of which are a shame.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Daredevil. Any one. Vanilla 'mates will always be better than their more sculpted counterparts. DD, with his simply designed costume, is a great bellwether for what Minimates are capable of at their most basic level, and each DD 'mate IMO has been a wonderfully representative Minimate.

DC mates were overall great, but for some reason Ocean Master really stands out. He's another mostly vanilla mate. His mask and cape were really well done, and his face tampo is one of the best that I've ever seen on a mate. Then and now I probably would have preferred Black Manta, but AA did a great job with Ocean Master. Aquaman was also well done- that is one of my favorite sets that we got from DCD.

Edited by Turtle

I thought Lobo was a great DC 'mate of a character who doesn't mean much to me, and Nightwing I thought was a perfect representation of the character.

I still want to put a gypsy curse on the idiot who cancelled DC 'mates. They could print money with those. We haven't had a DC action figure line that was compatible with Marvel since Megos, but NO....

• 2 weeks later...

Firelord and Gabriel the Air-Walker are very underated imo. I love everything about that pack. For two characters I never thought would see the light of day after not getting picked for the Heralds Box set these turned out fantastic. I really don't think they could have been done better.

I agree completely and believe all of wave 16 is underrated, voted strongly for them in Minimyte's awards.

I missed the voting, I'll have to make sure I catch it next year.

Wave 16 was pretty awesome, I bought a ton of those packs. I used that Torch for my Invaders set (Torch and Toro) and in my modern FF set. The Ben Grimm outfit was perfect for a rocket ship FF set. I know, they wore purple in FF #1, but until I acquire four purple bodies these will do. Annihilus was amazing.

Another minimate that I feel may be overlooked due to the fact that there was no sculpting is the Hector Ayala version of White Tiger. I absolutely love how that figure turned out.

Ha, nice. I completely missed that wave "16" gaffe.

While we're on the subject, the corresponding LCS wave was pretty spectacular also, on it's own merits and for troop building.The Byrne FF were a legitimate version that hadn't been seen yet. The villains were all well done and it was great getting Puppet Master, Blastaar and the army building Moloid. Alicia was a welcome surprise and the accessories were outstanding for every character.I used quite a few of the Sue bodies for female Shield agents and the Reed body for male rocket pack agents. Good times for troop building and getting bang for your buck.