UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Underrated 'mates

Valo487

I loved the Thunderbolts box set, we got two relatively obscure villains and two new versions of the others. DST could put out a box set of the different Thunderbolts lineups every year and it would suit me.

I definitely was into the Expendables 'mates, I bought two of each set just for the extra weapons.

I know right? The T-Bolts have some of the best rosters to grace comics so anything with the T-Bolts name (or characters that have featured on those books) DST puts out i'll buy. Gunn did say that T-Bolts is one of his dream properties so if GotG does well we might get a T-Bolts movie!

....don't toy with my emotions sir. That would be so awesome.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole of Wave 19 is underrated .

I'm not a fan of Apocalypse, but love that Spidey and Mysterio. Non-variant Archangel is also a very nice figure. I think that wave came out at a kind of turning point for the line as a whole, when you compare the pretty lackluster wave 16 to that one.
2008 was a seminal moment for Marvel Minimates & the DC Minimate IMHO had something to do with that .

In the space of a year or so we went from Minimates with maybe a few sculpts & minimal facial features (a line for a mouth in some extreme 'for examples') to Minimates like Iron-Monger. Everybody raves about Hulkbuster (& rightly so) but Iron Monger & BD Iron Monger are really bad underrated mongerfockers.

I agree 100% i never got one when they came out. I got one about a year ago to use for a custom (which is still in the works :-( ) I enjoyed it so much, i bought one to keep for myself. It is now an untouchable for me, meaning I will not use the parts for a custom because it is so well done. There are only about 20 mates like that for me, everyone else is up for grabs.

Hail Ivan.

fig0010flg.jpg

Put some C3 feet on him, and he's perfection, IMHO. He's been my default Spider-Man since the moment I got him, despite all the others that have come down the line.

I was going to say the same thing, but I don't feel he's that underrated. You, I, and many others still feel he is the best of the best of the best. (sir!) So that's why I didn't mention him.

On a related note, I'm constantly surprised how similar our tastes are.

I loved the Thunderbolts box set, we got two relatively obscure villains and two new versions of the others. DST could put out a box set of the different Thunderbolts lineups every year and it would suit me.

I definitely was into the Expendables 'mates, I bought two of each set just for the extra weapons.

I know right? The T-Bolts have some of the best rosters to grace comics so anything with the T-Bolts name (or characters that have featured on those books) DST puts out i'll buy. Gunn did say that T-Bolts is one of his dream properties so if GotG does well we might get a T-Bolts movie!

....don't toy with my emotions sir. That would be so awesome.

It truly would be a dream come true. Everyone loves a good underdog/redemption story and the T-Bolts are built around just that.

Edited by Kostisfire

These are the directions I could see them taking:

RaftBolts: Since Cage will be introduced in the TV shows they could gather characters like Crossbones, Hammer and some other villains (from the new movies, the tv shows, etc) and do the Suicide Squad-esque version of it.

Classic Thunderbolts: Introduce Zemo in Cap 3 and after the big A3 finale introduce the Thunderbolts as the new heroes of the world (since all the others have died) ala their first appereance.

OzBolts (but without Norman): It could follow a Civil War movie and this time have the Red Skull as the bad-guy-given-a-second-chance character. How it could work? Well, maybe he dons an alias and he fools everyone by taking control of the hit squad while nobody, not even the viewer knows it. It'll be an interesting twist that could both work and be terrible. The least likely to happen but oh well.

My most underrated Marvel 'mate would be the Red and Blue Spider-Man from the Spider-Man 3 debut pack, it has great tampo work on all sides of the 'mate and is still the only Spider-Man to have web detailing on his hands and feet(well other than the Black costume Spider-man from the same 2-pack).

My most underrated Marvel 'mate would be the Red and Blue Spider-Man from the Spider-Man 3 debut pack, it has great tampo work on all sides of the 'mate and is still the only Spider-Man to have web detailing on his hands and feet(well other than the Black costume Spider-man from the same 2-pack).

thumbsup.gif That pack takes some beating.....they are beautiful 'mates.

Cool thread. There are a bunch that come to mind.

Never see anyone mention TRU wave 13 Daredevil or TRU wave 11 Nightcrawler but I think those two were both extremely well done and are among my absolute favorites.They don't have huge, oversized melon heads like some mates (a peeve of mine) - they are proportionate and are perfect representations of the characters. Also cool accessories (bamf, club w/ string) and perfect expressions.

First box sets that come to mind would be the Heralds of Galactus box set. Can't believe I still see them around considering how cool they are, Terrax in particular. His asteroid accessory is among my fave bases (Phoenix base number 1 in my book). Nova is terrific, Galactus is great despite scale issues and Morg is neat too. No flaws in this set. Love the accompanying two-pack as well with Airwalker and Firelord, another awesome set I still see a lot of. Strange Tales came up here earlier and with good reason, every mate was near-perfect. Was surprised how much I loved Werewolf and Blade, bought it mostly for the other two.

There are other randoms I like too I don't see mentioned a lot like Frontline Cap, Blink, 1st app Punisher, Modular Iron Man, MvC Taskmaster, and for some reason I really like Kuurth (maybe cause I don't have the Excalibur Jugs, cool looking figure no matter how you look at it though imo)

The whole of Wave 19 is underrated .

I seldom agree with those folks from across the pond but BHM's right in this case, my first thoughts on seeing this thread were Ms Marvel, Ultron and Mysterio which all came from this wave.

T.

Even though I don't use them as much as a lot of the other ones, I would also like to nominate the Age of Apocalypse 'mates as being virtually perfect in terms of being translated from the source material.

I bought them last christmas and having them all lined up is perfect! Add to that the level of faithfulness to the source material and you've got yourself a gold mine.

I gotta add a few more,

Bucky cap was so good

I just recently acquired him and I have to say, that this is 100 % true. It's my favorite Cap fig and easily lands a spot in my top 5 minimates ever.

Another fig that I haven't mentioned is Danny Ketch Ghost Rider. It's just such a good mate and he barely gets any recognition. Him and Moon Knight. Moon Knight is one of these figs that can't really be improved (unless of course you do a different costume such as classic, fist of Khonshu, carbonadium, Ellis). Honestly, there are tons of great and perfect minimates out there.

Cool thread. I agree with a lot of the suggestions, notably morbius, mysterio, ms marvel and ultron.

I would also add into the mix the first taskmaster - good comic likeness of a classic villain with a lot of accessories for its time; balder the brave - a good representation of a classic supporting character (though I am a big classic thor fan and there's not been much to get excited about lately in that area so maybe some bias here! lol) and yellowjacket - rarely mentioned but he looks great. Oh yeah, and secret invasion beast - leaving aside his "green" issues he captures the look of the era he originates from superbly imo.

fig0008flg.jpg

Hail, Ivan!

Once upon a time, a comic book trope became an action figure...

Toy manufacturers have given us costume variants, figures specific to an era, a story arc, even a moment. I love 'em all but I never thought I'd see a figure like this one, which basically depicts our hero engaged in an inner monologue with his alter ego. How crazy is that? What this figure lacks in play value it makes up for as a conversation piece. It's in the center of my collection, in between all the Spider-Man and Peter Parker Minimates I've managed to acquire.

If this isn't a Valentine from one Spider-fan (DSTChuck) to all other Spider-fans, I don't know what is.