UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 19

Lobsterman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would very much like to see more DOFP characters in here, but i think that's pretty unlikely. If we were getting a TRU DOFP wave, i think they would have spaced out their Wolverines & Magnetos a bit more and not put them all in the same wave.

Also - I think Zach may have mentioned somewhere earlier that there will only be the Specialty wave.

Hopefully it'll be a tie-wave to compliment the 'Current X-Men' wave that Zach mentioned a while ago.

If it is a comic-based wave it could mean four unique packs, as it sounds like there's not going to be an LCS comic wave to share with for a while. I could see an opportunity to cross-promote both Spider Man and X-men comic stuff since they'll be high-visibility in the movies.

Edited by Lobsterman

Here's my spitballing wish list:

Ronan/Bulked-up Thanos (Ronan ties in to GOTG; i think either Zach or Chuck has said a bulked Thanos has been considered)

Scarlet Spider/Hobgoblin (ASM sort-of tie-in; Chuck said in the last Ask that SS had been considered)

Current Cyclops/Magneto (Mags ties into DOFP; Cyclops is… Cyclops)

Banshee/Sunfire (because COME ON SERIOUSLY MAKE THEM!)

With X-men being a huge figure in the coming months, or ASM2 (Which we already covered with the past waves, aka Electro and what not)

I can see it maybe a mix of the 2 as well.

Wolverine DoFP (maybe with Skeleton body for when he gets burned up by the Sentinel)/ Modern Kitty Pryde

Cyclops Now!/Magneto Now!

Webbed Wings Spider Man/Vulture

Scarlet Spider (either Now or classic)/Jackal

Wolverine is a safe bet.

Honestly, is he still? During the TRU purge, the biggest Marvel pegwarmers were Wolvie & Viewtiful Joe and Wolvie and Reaper. The only reason the current Wolvie set is hard to find is due to the exclusive Ultron army builder at a huge discounted price. I know he still sells but I dont think he's a home run currently. That Capcom set came out over 2 years ago and is still available at clearance.

Those two Wolverines are basically the same costume, though. That could have something to do with their relative stagnation. And those sets were both duplicated at specialty, weren't they? I don't think he's quite the guy he once was, but he still moves. The one Wolverine set that is OH SO OBVIOUS that hasn't been done yet is Mandipoor Wolverine vs the Silver Samurai. Basically this:

wolverine-gallery-011.jpg

Now that we have all those nice samurai pieces, this would be an easy set to do....

With 16, 17, and 18 focusing on Now! designs, I'm hopeful that we'll start seeing classic or obscure stuff introduced at TRU again.

The fact that TRU is only having one exclusive ASM2 pack and the shared packs are different is also interesting to me. Zach said he isn't sure if future TRU waves will follow that assortment design (and he doesn't know the ASM2 packout at TRU yet), but If this was requested by TRU it could very well mean they see a need to change how Minimates are offered in the stores. If these are an even pack out, I think i would be fine with losing the second exclusive pack on all TRU waves going forward.

If these are an even pack out, I think i would be fine with losing the second exclusive pack on all TRU waves going forward.

Why is that, if I may ask? I know the short packs have been annoying, but it seems like they've ended up being accessible to everyone with enough patience. I can't think of many exclusives (WD wave 1 Glen? Hulkbuster? Wave 16 exclusives, which were a whole other thing entirely?) where some people were never able to get them at retail, or maybe a slightly marked up but reasonable price. I could be wrong, though; I've been very fortunate to have TRUs near me that stocked Minimates fairly reliably.

Losing the second exclusive pack in order to get the first packed evenly would, I guess, serve to make sure you have a better chance of getting the one exclusive pack as soon as the wave is first sighted instead of having to wait through one or two restocks? The only problem I see with that is the fact that TRU would almost certainly still want to put the exclusive sticker on them, which would make them scalper bait irrespective of whether there were two of them or four of them. So: fewer new Minimates, same problem trying to get them.

I don't know, TRU obviously (?) has a method to their madness, and are perhaps exploring options to bring their overall spend on Minimates down by co-buying more of the existing wave runs. Whatever it is, I can't say I love the idea of the number of new Minimates in total going down.

Edited by Lobsterman

I think the best way to go with these going forward would be instead of sharing two packs, make the whole wave an exclusive. That way you have to go to Toys "R" Us to get them. At the one I go to, it seems like a lot of the ones that stay on the shelf for a long time are the ones that are available elsewhere.

If these are an even pack out, I think i would be fine with losing the second exclusive pack on all TRU waves going forward.

Why is that, if I may ask? I know the short packs have been annoying, but it seems like they've ended up being accessible to everyone with enough patience. I can't think of many exclusives (WD wave 1 Glen? Hulkbuster? Wave 16 exclusives, which were a whole other thing entirely?) where some people were never able to get them at retail, or maybe a slightly marked up but reasonable price. I could be wrong, though; I've been very fortunate to have TRUs near me that stocked Minimates fairly reliably.

Losing the second exclusive pack in order to get the first packed evenly would, I guess, serve to make sure you have a better chance of getting the one exclusive pack as soon as the wave is first sighted instead of having to wait through one or two restocks? The only problem I see with that is the fact that TRU would almost certainly still want to put the exclusive sticker on them, which would make them scalper bait irrespective of whether there were two of them or four of them. So: fewer new Minimates, same problem trying to get them.

I don't know, TRU obviously (?) has a method to their madness, and are perhaps exploring options to bring their overall spend on Minimates down by co-buying more of the existing wave runs. Whatever it is, I can't say I love the idea of the number of new Minimates in total going down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting as many new 'mates in whatever way we can, but if *something* needed to change to make TRU happy, adjusting the assortment from 2 exclusive packs to 1 is something I can live with. It just all depends on what instigated the assortment change for the ASM2 wave, was it a request from TRU to reduce the number of unique packs, or did DST only have enough designs to allow for one exclusive?

With Wave 18 never appearing and only 1 or 2 cases of Tomb Raider hitting the TRU.com site, I have a feeling the request was made by TRU to reduce the number of unique offerings. It definitely seems like their distribution is in flux right now, I'm not suggesting Minimates are going away from TRU, but it does feel like something has fundamentally changed.

Personally, my preference would be 2 shared packs, 2 exclusive packs, but an equal ratio of 3 of each packs per case. I think that is the sweet spot for TRU to not be stuck with a lot of leftover non-exclusive shared packs and to make the consumers happy to have more of the exclusive branded merch available.

If I were going to read it a different way, I might look at the fact that TRU has been stocking a lot less movie-exclusive Marvel product in general – and it seems like Hasbro is trending away from movie-exclusive lines, too. Hasbro has Cap and Spidey assortments this year, but they're a mix of movie and comic stuff, and they're not specifically branded to the movie. I would guess this is because the movie stuff tends to have a shorter shelf life, especially with so many other movies coming out concurrently. TRU's goal is to have product on the pegs at all times, but if the product for movie A is only in demand for a couple weeks before movie B hits, there's less incentive for them to spend big on an entire unique assortment that may just linger – as many of the previous movie assortments have done. The movie assortments may be a different beast entirely than the comic ones from a sales perspective.

That's why I can imagine a refresh of wave 18 happening in the next month or two, as that's kind of TRU's "Captain America" wave (there must be more of these; we just haven't seen the volume in stores and on ebay that there should have been for a TRU wave), then a wave 19 in early summer with a mix of Spidey, X-Men, and/or Cosmic comic stuff to pick up on the buzz for those movies, but remain relevant after the movies are gone. Then maybe wave 20 goes back to the sharing with comic waves in winter or spring of next year when LCS wave 59 hits.

Edited by Lobsterman

I think the best way to go with these going forward would be instead of sharing two packs, make the whole wave an exclusive. That way you have to go to Toys "R" Us to get them. At the one I go to, it seems like a lot of the ones that stay on the shelf for a long time are the ones that are available elsewhere.

I'd agree with this. There can be some pretty major variations in distribution, but I think it's pretty consistent that the shared packs linger longer, or at least aren't the first of an assortment to sell out.