UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Guardians of the Galaxy

Valo487

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Loki's staff being a stone, and also being blue like the Tesseract, isn't necessarily "unfaithful to the comics", but "doesn't fit with the MCU's own representation of the stones."

Infinity_stones_low.png

b1dej7cceaa-jt--110854.jpg

There aren't two blues in either GotG or the Infinity War teaser. 6 unique colors in both.

I know the teaser showed Loki's staff, but if it is one, it's gotta change colors when it's removed (or placed in the gauntlet).

Or maybe it's part of the Tesseract. Combine them together, and they become one stone, or something.

That's how it happened, but that doesn't mean that's how it is.

When Gotg came out James Gunn did an interview touching on which stone the orb was, why the aether was the wrong color, and confirmed what the other stones/objects we're. Both that interview and another one from kevin feige (I think ) confirmed the staff was the mind stone. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow and link it.

I'm not getting into the middle of this very interesting discussion without declaring that I'm not bringing anything to the party other than my speculation & I've skimmed rather than read the whole thread . First thing that strikes me about the stones are their colours (obviously rolleyes.gif ) ........I'm not certain but surely there is more than coincidence that the six stones represent six of the seven colours of the spectrum........ ROYGBIV ?

I don't profess to know more than anybody else & I know less about what stones we've seen where , in each movie, but I am convinced that a seventh stone will (or has made) make its presence felt.

Indigo may well be that stone .

edit: grammar

Edited by buttheadsmate

Now they're starting to cannibalize the comics. I understand trying to have synergy, but I'm not thrilled about a recent development with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. It seems to serve no purpose aside from turning Marvel's comics into essentially monthly installments of the movie-verse.

I dunno, the Gauntlet has been in the comics for 20-odd years. Has there ever been a seventh stone revealed? Seems like an even more unwieldy number for a film series to thoroughly investigate.

There was a seventh gem introduced back in the 90s when the gauntlet and it's accouterments were whisked away to the Malibu Ultraverse. That gem, Ego, promptly Voltron'd with the other six gems and became some monster thing that was even more promptly defeated. The gems un-Voltron'd and that seventh stone died with the Ultraverse.

That is to say, that seventh gem has no place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

There is definitely an indigo ring. But as far as I know, the various corps didn't exist back when the Infinity Gems/Gauntlet/Watch came about.

Sinestro's yellow ring was unique for a long time, and the Star Sapphires were retconned to be a corps. Honestly don't know if they've always had rings, but I assume so.

...So Blackest Night might be giving you an Infinity Gauntlet vibe. :)

There is definitely an indigo ring. But as far as I know, the various corps didn't exist back when the Infinity Gems/Gauntlet/Watch came about.

Sinestro's yellow ring was unique for a long time, and the Star Sapphires were retconned to be a corps. Honestly don't know if they've always had rings, but I assume so.

...So Blackest Night might be giving you an Infinity Gauntlet vibe. :)

The Sapphires usually had a powerful stone embedded in their head. Those were turned into rings when Johns started his run because they realized it was more practical.

Now they're starting to cannibalize the comics. I understand trying to have synergy, but I'm not thrilled about a recent development with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. It seems to serve no purpose aside from turning Marvel's comics into essentially monthly installments of the movie-verse.

At this point I wish they were monthly installments of the MCU; I'd be much more likely to buy that than what we're getting now.

At this point I wish they were monthly installments of the MCU; I'd be much more likely to buy that than what we're getting now.

On some level I'd agree, but when they start retconning decades old characterization just because they don't have the rights to all their characters, that's going too far in my eyes.

ya i dont expect the gems from the comics to be the same colors in the films, i think even Marvel has said this.

secondly I know Loki's scepter has a lot of infinity gem theories and i know marvel has fed a lot of those theories but I sincerely hope it isnt a Stone as that would make Thanos incredibly incompetent at collecting any of the infinity stones considering hes had 2 lost by generals he barely trusted and this would mean he gave one of his newest and most untrustworthy generals one of his most valuable possessions

basically Im hoping Thanos is not that dumb

^ This!

Just handing over a gem to the most devious and untrustworthy person seems like way too much of a risk in order to gain another gem. At least for Ronan he was just hired to get a stone and bring it back, he didn't actually give him the Aether, for example, in order to find it :)

They could explain the color thing if it turned purple when removed from the scepter but the stupidity of willfully giving it to Loki would be hard to reconcile to me.

Wait, you guys are missing something critical here ... Thanos didn't HAVE the Tesseract before he sent Loki to Earth in Avengers. He was sent to retrieve it for Thanos, which was kinda the whole point of the movie. So when Loki arrived on Earth he could have channeled the power of the Tesseract through his staff. Or his staff isn't related to the Tesseract at all. Just another Asgard magic bauble. I'm of course basing this on the presumption that all 6 Infinity stones are in play and Thanos doesn't have any of them at the beginning of Avengers.

Edited by Mysterious Stranger