UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Guardians of the Galaxy

Valo487

My guess is that the two Infinity Stones we haven't seen yet Thanos already has possession of, and the Tesseract would have been one more. My guess is, he was willing to give one to Loki believing that with an army behind him he would be able to return that one and an additional one, not expecting that the Avengers would ever be able to stop him. The scene at the end of Avengers practically spells out that they underestimated Earth. Plus Loki is clearly unnerved by what is in store for him if he fails, I'm hoping they follow up on that. Between the smile at the end of Avengers and his indifference to Ronan challenging him, I see Thanos as knowing that his enemies wouldn't stand a chance against him, and he's almost amused by the idea that they would even try.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here’s what I want to know:

How exact does the tesseract affect “space”, the aether “reality”, and the Orb have more ‘power’ then the those two since they all 3 just release colored light and blow sh*t up?

If the scepter is the mind gem (and not just enhancing Loki’s own mind control powers) why is it the most literal of all the gems while the other three seem to have the same power sets?

The scepter being the gem seems more like fans really wanted to see all of the gems right now, especially since the movie makes references to it being tesseract powered (which can be retconed if they want, but taking only clues from the movies and not from MovieMinutesNewsNow.blogstop.com it’s tesseract powered)

There’s still Doctor Strange, Guardians 2, Thor 3 (which I bet is about Thanos attacking Asgard to get the gauntlet from the armory, what with it being called “a game changer” and being right before Infinity War) so three more gems, three more movies set off world where they could encounter the three gems seems logical, right?

(this is of course assuming the gems are scattered, it’s possible another was on Earth all along and it shows up in CA3:tCW or Ant-Man or Black Panther, or that Thanos doesn’t have all 6 by start of Infinity War and Captain Marvel or the Inhumans introduce it... but that seems less likely then the scepter being a gem.)

Marvel has confirmed the spear Loki carried is a gem, it's not in question anymore. Whether or not the gems have their individual power sets is a bigger question.

I personally doubt it, and I'm not sure I want them to spend a lot of time explaining how they work, since they seem to work however the writer needs them to anyway. They're McGuffins, I'd rather the time be spent on characterization.

Not sure its ever been said in text, but the Chitauri Spear is shown multiple times (along with Tesseract, Aether, and Orb) in the Phase 3 trailer that sets up Avengers: Infinity War, ending with Thanos holding the gauntlet.

http://youtu.be/X8lUCbRi6QQ?t=10m53s

Nope, that’s conjecture, not confirmation.

The trailer goes like this:

Tesseract: Scepter

Aether: Thor fighting Malik surrounded by the Aether

The Orb: Guardians using the Power of Friendship to harness its power

It does linger on an admittedly greener Scepter, but given the other gems are shown THEN an example of their power is shown, it seems more likely it’s showing the scepter as part of the tesseract’s power.

Unless there’s a quote from Feige or Wheddon saying it’s a stone, we only have conjecture and the movies, and the movies (unless A2:AoU retcons it) say it’s powered by the tesseract.

and it’s really weird to me the mind gem is the most literal in name, especially since Loki already had mind control powers.

I think the fact that Marvel made that trailer should be pretty concrete. It's not a fan-film.

And when did they say the scepter was powered by the tesseract? Why would Thanos give him a spear powered by the object he gives him the spear to get? That's like giving someone a remote for a TV you don't own. I think it's a lot more likely the scepter is of equal power to the tesseract and thus able to counteract it.

I think the fact that Marvel made that trailer should be pretty concrete. It's not a fan-film.

that trailer doesn't do anything but show the scepter with the known stones, no new data saying it's one on them... By this logic the back of some guys head is the 5th stone because it's just as heavily featured in the video

It's like having a row of American money on a tablet, you'd assume Ben Franklin was a President because he's shown along with them, but really he's just a figure of importance and was highlighted for that reason (the scepter will be the maguffin in A2 stone or not)

And when did they say the scepter was powered by the tesseract?

Avengers,

Cap: his stick is like a Hydra weapon

Fury: I don't know about that but it is powered by the cube

Selvig says it can't defend against itself, not against similar power sources

In Thor 2 the Asgardians know an awful lot about the stones, but we're fine just leaving the scepter on Earth? Why not take it to the Collector since Shield already lost one stone why trust them with a different one?

Also, you wouldn't use a remote to find a TV but what if you had a key fob linked to a car, you'd give someone that key fob to Boop around a lot full of cars to find the car it's ublocking, right? The key fob is not a car itself but it's direct link to the car makes it an infinitely useful tool in finding it

arnim zola, on 18 Dec 2014 - 16:06, said:

It's plausible that a hydra cell in shield got the scepter after the new york incident and took it to strucker. Thus why the asgardians didn't get it.

But it was left in Stark Tower, last handled by Black Widow.

So if Thor knows he needs to take the cube with him, wouldn’t his next thought after putting the cube in it’s little cell and handcuffing Loki be “oh hey! I should grab the scepter too since it’s an Infinity Stone, shouldn’t just let it flop around wildly... where did it end up?! GUYS!! GUYS!!! Where did we leave the scepter it’s REALLY important we find it too!!!!”

The fact it goes missing and every’s okay with it, the Asgardians, SHIELD, Thanos, etc, no one has tried to reclaim it yet besides HYDRA (who probably just took it when SHIELD did the clean up), the fact in Thor 2 they make a point two of them shouldn’t be in the same place but are fine with leaving one behind on Earth which has proven it can’t keep it say implies it’s not that important.... yet.

**I will concede that while it’s clearly not an Infinity Stone in Avengers, but I don’t think they really had a road map in place by then and they can change their mind and make it one, if they want to have a character in A2:AoU say “You thought it was just powered by the Tesseract, but no, it’s a stone of equal or greater POWER!!!” then cool it’s a stone too... but right now, aside from conjecture based on a blurry video (officially produced or not if Marvel wanted it to be confirmation they’d have released a clear HD version by now) we don’t have an enough info to call it a stone.

http://www.franchiseherald.com/articles/15467/20141125/world-news-entertainment-marvel-movie-avengers-loki-tom-hiddleston-infinity-war-may-2018.htm

Numerous sites reference the same quote, from Feige, saying that the scepter IS one of the stones. Period.

Could they be getting it wrong? I guess, sure. But with so many sites saying the same thing, and saying it's a quote from Feige, I'd say it's PRETTY likely

Edited by Mnemosis

Ben Franklin may not be a former President, but if you lay down a picture of Washington, then Lincoln, then Jefferson, then Jackson, then Grant, then Franklin, and at the end of it Thanos is holding a fistful of dollars, I would assume that's pretty much all I needed to see. But if you don't agree, that's fine, I'm pretty sure when the stone is put into the guantlet that will be pretty definite confirmation.

I don't mean that in a snarky way, I just don't see much vagueness left at this point.

Mnemosis, on 18 Dec 2014 - 16:29, said:

http://www.franchiseherald.com/articles/15467/20141125/world-news-entertainment-marvel-movie-avengers-loki-tom-hiddleston-infinity-war-may-2018.htm

Numerous sites reference the same quote, from Feige, saying that the scepter IS one of the stones. Period.

Could they be getting it wrong? I guess, sure. But with so many sites saying the same thing, and saying it's a quote from Feige, I'd say it's PRETTY likely

Do you have a source that’s more official? Typing “Loki Infinity War” into google just turns up aggregate sites reporting on the information when you think The Hollywood Reporter or Variety at least would have mentioned it.

I mean, when did Feige say that? Where? Why? Did he just blurt it out when signing Hiddleston contract? What’s the context behind the announcement?

This sounds very much like “ComicBookNews” confirming Brian Cranston was Lex Luthor (with Matt Damon in talks to play Aquaman or Martian Manhunter) story which was then widely reported by aggregates as well rather then an official confirmation.

(I do look forward to how foolish I’ll look in May if A2:AoU does confirms it’s a stone though)

No, to be fair, it could be that one site made up some shit and the others all just ran with it, but at the same time... it's out there. I'll believe it until proven wrong, because it's as solid a lead as anything.

The strongest argument in the "it's not a stone" camp is the line(s) from Avengers, but...

1) how would Fury OR Selvig even know they're part of the same thing?

2) what if, rather than "the scepter is part of the teseract" they meant "the scepter and tesseract are both part of the same greater whole"

Cyclops isn't Havok and Havok isn't Cyclops, but their powers don't work against each other because they are both part of the Summers bloodline

okay Im just gonna say that while I do think a lot of the current conjecture points to the scepter being a stone, my issue is mainly with the logic behind it, though i respect Marvel enough to give them a chance to explain themselves, and I wont agree that its a stone for sure until they say the words "its a stone"

I will however say that I was pointing out from the day Avengers 1 released that when Loki says "there is only the war" I was front lining the bandwagon that said "ITS THE INFINITY WAR, HE KNOWS HE KNOWSSSS"

The fact it goes missing and every’s okay with it, the Asgardians, SHIELD, Thanos, etc, no one has tried to reclaim it yet besides HYDRA (who probably just took it when SHIELD did the clean up).

This.

I think it's less of a "oops, where did it go?", and more just S.H.I.E.L.D. taking custody of it from Stark Tower, and the people who were in charge of bagging & tagging happened to be Hydra (as seen in Winter Soldier).

Sure, it makes sense that HYDRA would go after it, as they clearly did, but if it were as powerful as the tesseract, I would have thought we'd see Coulson and Co. searching for it. Even if the scepter contains the mind gem, despite it's abilities making sense, it does seem kind of like it was a retcon. Up through all current MCU films, it has never been referenced or hinted at on screen as one of the gems the way the others have. Although, that could also just be part of a it-was-in-front-of-you-the-whole-time thing. One thing I definitely don't like is that Iron Man's arc reactor apparently made him immune to at least one infinity stone.