UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Amazing Spider-Man 2 Minimates

youbastards

Black webbing would have made it essentially a comic Spidey. We make plenty of those, so I don't see how making it look like a Spidey we make a lot is better (sales wise or collection-wise) than making it look like a Spidey that hasn't been available in years.

Also, sometimes we get Pantone guides for stuff. Not sure if that was the case here, or if they specified silver webbing or what.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Peter Parker actually run around in a Spider-Man t-shirt under his open jacket in this movie? Critics have a tough enough time when he removes his mask so often. This won't go over well.

Black webbing would have made it essentially a comic Spidey. We make plenty of those, so I don't see how making it look like a Spidey we make a lot is better (sales wise or collection-wise) than making it look like a Spidey that hasn't been available in years.

Also, sometimes we get Pantone guides for stuff. Not sure if that was the case here, or if they specified silver webbing or what.

Pantone 7544C.

But black could have been used, too. They allow for both but I see your point. It's just ironic that the filmmakers obviously tried to get much closer to the comic suit but toymakers (at least DST and Hasbro) are opting for a look more associated with Raimi's movies.

That said, I'm sure a side-by-side comparison of the final figures will show that the new web pattern is closer to a gun metal grey than the more silvery webs from Maguire's costume.

(Personally, I like the new one just fine.)

I look at that Smythe and all I hear is "My name is Cyril Figgis"

I've been binge-watching Archer the last couple weeks. Let's Ask DST for Minimates from the show!

Looking back at my ASM 'mates, I can't help but realize the color scheme on Spider-Man is much darker and movie accurate. I'm curious why that didn't happen with this Spider-Man? All promotional material I've seen indicates a close color match.

In all honesty, this ASM2 Spider-Man looks way more like a comic version already compared to last wave. ASM2 is much brighter and lacking some of the detail of the first ASM 'mate.

It is what it is though, just an observation.

Sooooo... has anyone noticed that ASM2 Gwen Stacy minimate is wearing black boots, a lavender skirt and a thigh-length green jacket? o_O

Edited by Nessex

Looks like a pretty good wave. I really like that Spidey. The Green Goblin look I think I like better as a minimate than the shot I saw from the movie, guess we'll see. The rhinos on his shorts are pretty funny.

I might be in the minority here, but I really don't like civilian minimates at all for the most part. Although many are well-done, I find myself passing up sets time and time again. They just kind of bore me.

I dunno why, but something about these seem "flat" to me, at least compared to the usual movie wave. Maybe they're just really brightly lit.

Not a great sign that the battle-damaged fireman Spidey's face webbing is off-center in the promo pics. :-/ I guess he was hit so hard his eyes shifted.

Sooooo... has anyone noticed that ASM2 Gwen Stacy minimate is wearing black boots, a lavender skirt and a thigh-length green jacket? o_O

That was always supposed to be the intention with this movie, yes. Remember Peter's promise.

Spidey is simple in an oddly charming way. Not terrible. I definitely echo the Cyril comment for Smythe. Definitely need him now, that's brilliant.

Hey Zach,is the hair sculpt on Goblin the final product?

I believe so, yes. I think these might even be early paint samples, although I am not sure. I do not think we had painted prototypes for these.

Looking back at my ASM 'mates, I can't help but realize the color scheme on Spider-Man is much darker and movie accurate. I'm curious why that didn't happen with this Spider-Man? All promotional material I've seen indicates a close color match.

In all honesty, this ASM2 Spider-Man looks way more like a comic version already compared to last wave. ASM2 is much brighter and lacking some of the detail of the first ASM 'mate.

These are not final product, so that all may change, but I hope you get something you like.

Not a great sign that the battle-damaged fireman Spidey's face webbing is off-center in the promo pics. :-/ I guess he was hit so hard his eyes shifted.

Again, early painted sample, but that may be part of the design. He's supposed to be battle-damaged, so a one-millimeter shift might have been intentional. Or the printing is off a smidge, which happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the film yesterday and liked it (not loved it, not as good as Cap 2)

No spoilers here

Peter and Gwen = brillant together, love the chemistry although Peters IQ seems to have dropped significantly since the first film, you'll see what mean

Spiderman = amazing

Electro = brilliantly realized on screen

Rhino = we need more, more rhino more more more

Green Goblin = he served/ serves a purpose thats about it

Boring back story about Peters parents = nuff said

Also why put stuff in trailers then NOT put it in the bloody film!!!

zzzzzzzzzzz.....sleep.png

minor changes on already so-so mates. Not DST's fault the source material stinks. Maybe there's some interesting accessories not shown that will make them worth picking up.

Although Gwen's legs look ridiculous with the pattern just on the front and not on the side. Should have just went with a solid color. It wouldn't be 100% screen accurate but it would look better.

The stockings are printed on the front back and outer sides -- I'm not sure we were able to do the insides, but there is very little surface area to print on there, and the skirt keeps it from being very visible. (The tampo does not cover her bent knee, either.) I personally think it looks cool, in spite of the limitations, and I dig that the designers tried something ambitious rather than just making her legs grey. But to each their own.

Peter has a Spidey mask, a phone and a backpack. BD Spidey has a megaphone, and he and Spidey have weblines. Max has blue arms, a newspaper and a briefcase. Electro has arm lightning. Aleksei has pants.

I enjoy the new Electro design. While his old costume is great, it is a pretty light-hearted suit for someone permanently changed by a violent electrical accident. That Electro is the same man he always was, except for these fantastic electrical powers he got by accident.

The reality of these new films is that, while some people get powers by accident and it's a positive, some get them and it's a negative. Electro is a villain, and a villain is far more tragic and menacing if he's been physically transformed, as well as mentally. So using the Ultimate Electro design helps the story, and of course leads to better special effects. In my opinion.

I'm with you Zach, I love the original Electro design, but I never harbored any delusions that it would be in the movies. I like the new look a lot, I thought the Ultimate design was really cool when it first debuted. The 'mate looks really really good, it makes me wish I did more with the movie versions when I get them than I do now, I'll try to find a way to work him in.