UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Picking Costumes

Liney

Not really sure if this belongs here or not, but couldn't work out where else to post it. Hope here is ok. So anyway, here goes...

When it comes to getting mates do you prefer to them to be in there classic duds or whatever they are currently wearing? Or does it depend on the character?

For example some characters, say Iron Man, get an updated look every few months and already has a few classic mates, so I guess the newer armours are what's wanted.

But what about characters who haven't had mates, say The Wizard. Would you him rather be in his classic chest piece over a leotard look or his newer body suit/armour?

As I'm sure someone will mention variants, how do you pick which is the which?

Just looking for some insight I guess.

Edited by Liney

I'll buy what ever comes out. I don't read the comics very often so if the mates look great it's a plus.

I almost always prefer the classic version. I'm not really a big fan of modern costumes, but even in the case of a costume I like I will probably still choose the classic version. Modern costumes are often so transitory, and classic costumes, even if they are long in the past, at least carry a certain degree of timelessness. Look at Cyclops, for example; we just got a Minimate of the costume that he was wearing for the last few years, and it's already out of date.

So if you're asking which classic costumes you should do designs for, well, I can give you a list...thumbsup.gif

I almost always prefer the classic version. I'm not really a big fan of modern costumes, but even in the case of a costume I like I will probably still choose the classic version. Modern costumes are often so transitory, and classic costumes, even if they are long in the past, at least carry a certain degree of timelessness. Look at Cyclops, for example; we just got a Minimate of the costume that he was wearing for the last few years, and it's already out of date.

So if you're asking which classic costumes you should do designs for, well, I can give you a list...thumbsup.gif

Don't we have 2 astonishing costumes for Cyclops?

But yeah, depends on the look. But I'll buy any good looks, modern or classic.

Don't we have 2 astonishing costumes for Cyclops?

But yeah, depends on the look. But I'll buy any good looks, modern or classic.

There were two different "Astonishing" Cyclops costumes, one by John Cassaday and one by Simone Bianchi. Or, an "awesome" one and an "awful" one. Which for me shows that modern vs. classic isn't so important as a good costume vs. an ugly one. I'll take characters I like in good costumes regardless of the time period they were designed.

I display multiple costumes, and it is a mix of nostalgia and current. I usually only display figures from a comic I have actually read, so there is no cosmic Spider-Man on my shelf, even though he is a cool Minimate. I like the costume to mean something to me.

Personally, I like almost all of the costumes. I would take all of the costumes.

What I think I would prefer most, however, is the costume that completes "that team." I don't like that we get a complete team character-wise, but they may all have on costumes from different eras/artists.

Classic all the way. I find new costumes take themselves way too seriously. Comics are a fairly ridiculous medium, so the bright goofy stuff fits right in, its a genre convention. I just hung my head when I saw a lot of the "now" designs. That kind of stuff might work for the movies, but they look so out of place on the printed page.

I don't think the Now costumes are all that bad... but the current DC crop...sick.gif . So bad, actually, that I'd rather not have DC Minimates then get the New 52 costumes. Well, maybe I wouldn't go that farwink.png, but they are awful. I'm not a Jim Lee fan, though I don't dislike his work, but as a costume designer he's just terrible.

Classic for me, as well, though that doesn't necessarily mean the "first" outfit a character wore, or even the one they wore the most. Instead, I go for the classic look I most prefer. For Cyclops, I go with the pirate boots and blue spandex look from the 70s-80s. For Wolvie, I go with brown and tan. For Batman, I go with the Neal Adams style. Etc. Having said that, I do have multiples on display of some characters. I have a Spidey stand with about 5 different Spideys on the first row.

It's classic for me! I would much rather have characters in their (to me) iconic costumes than what, as others have said, seem to be fairly short-lived modern versions. That's not to say I don't collect or like most of the modern 'mates but I would MUCH rather have new classic characters above new versions of characters we already have. Likewise (if and) when characters like the falcon are made, I would want his classic look first and foremost, though I'd be happy enough to have a modern variant.

I do also agree that characters that mean something to me and/or complete teams from comics I've read are important though, for example although she's pretty modern I'm stoked to be getting songbird to complete that thunderbolts team since I've read that comic.

So far it seems the general consensus seems to be for classics, so would I be right in saying that in that case people would prefer variants to be modern versions or alternate characters (ie Black Queen Selene)?

I'm a Minimate completist, so I buy what's made.

As for display, since I currently only have enough room for one of each character (and even then, I don't have much room :lol: ), I go with what I think looks coolest, sometimes even mixing & matching to make my own costumes. I'm not concerned with canon or nostalgia (though I tend to lean modern, as classic is quite often too plain & unimaginative - the John Byrne Cyclops that everyone is in love with is the worst). I've got Astonishing cat Beast hanging out with 90's Jim Lee Cyclops, 90's X-Force Cannonball with New Mutants Cypher, etc.

All Iron Men get displayed in my Hall of Armor, as Tony doesn't need to be in all of them for them to be on the shelf (though I try to make sure my designated Tony's face is exposed so you know which one he is in - though, that might even change, as I love the TRU movie one coming out with the headset & Under Armour shirt).

. . .the John Byrne Cyclops that everyone is in love with is the worst). I've got Astonishing cat Beast hanging out with 90's Jim Lee Cyclops, 90's X-Force Cannonball. . .

Does anyone know off-hand how to implement the "ignore" feature? Thanks ahead of time wink.png Edited by karamazov80

Slightly off topic:

...the Dave Cockrum Cyclops that everyone is in love with...

Sorry, that always bugs me. It's not John Byrne's design. Like all of the "All New, All Different" X-Men (except for Banshee and Sunfire), he's a Dave Cockrum design.

Back on Topic:

I generally prefer classic designs, typically meaning the prominent looks they had in the 70s-80s. There are a few exceptions of course (Iron Fist comes to mind, and my go to FF are most definitely the Blue and White versions), but I like to stick with the classics.

I go with the first costume, no matter how ugly it is. Gimme a yellow & red Daredevil costume over those flashy scarlet jammies any day! pirate.gif

Seriously, with me it depends on the character. I generally prefer the most popular, "classic" look for comics characters but guys like Iron Man don't really have one, definitive look in my book. I enjoy collecting all of his armors.

When it comes to movie-based characters, I buy them all but generally prefer the first costumes. Captain America and Thor looked great in their first solo flicks. Iron Man's Mark III armor was sweet. And while I do like Spidey's new tights from The Amazing Spider-Man, I still prefer the Raimi look and am looking forward to something similar in the next film.

Bottom line for me: It's about taste. (Mmmm... ABS & PVC plastic...)

Slightly off topic:

Sorry, that always bugs me. It's not John Byrne's design. Like all of the "All New, All Different" X-Men (except for Banshee and Sunfire), he's a Dave Cockrum design.

Sorry, and thank you. Wasn't John Byrne writing him, though? If so, that's still true, as I never said "design"...

I always prefer the classic looks. Some looks, like the blue/white FF are also favorites. I'd like to have an updated yellow DD, but I like my red one just fine too.

If and when we get Falcon, I'm going to be one very sad Falcon fan if we don't get him in his classic Kirby-duds. Hell, I'm going to be downright heartbroken. And a classic green/orange variant would be the icing on the cake!

Anyway...

Slightly off topic:

Sorry, and thank you. Wasn't John Byrne writing him, though? If so, that's still true, as I never said "design"...

Nope. Chris Claremont was writer. John Byrne took over as penciler towards the end of the Phoenix saga, but never handled writing to my knowledge(though he did plot out the original Alpha Flight story I belive)