UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Something I need to get off my chest...

youbastards

This is going to sound weird, but I need to get it out.

I've never been a huge Batman fan, so I don't have the affinity there that a lot of people do, but the Aurora shooting has really affected my interest in Batman, especially the Nolan films, for some odd reason, and I have been having a tough time coming to terms with why it has affected me so much.

Look, I'm a reasonable person, I understand that the shooter's actions were his own, and that Nolan and the films themselves have nothing to do with the actions of one man. But for some reason, this whole tragedy has really just put me off of the franchise and I am unable to disassociate the shooting from the films. I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises, and I don't really want to at this point. It's like the entire experience has been ruined for me. I don't know if that will eventually fade, but I've really been having a tough time trying to understand why this has affected me so much, especially because I don't really have a "love" for the franchise to begin with.

This has only ever happened to me once before, when I heard about Kurt Cobain's suicide. I LOVED Nirvana! I was in high school when Nevermind went big, and remember listening to the CD in my car via the tape deck adapter I had connected to a Discman (anyone remember those days?). However, I have a hard time enjoying the music anymore. Sure, some of that may be just getting older and tastes changing, but hearing that music instantly makes me think of Cobain's suicide, and I am unable to just enjoy the music like I used to.

Anyone else ever have something they enjoy 'ruined' for them because of something that happened?

Hmm, I have taken a different stance. I love the Nolan films and refuse to let some douche bag who bought some guns and did a terrible thing, ruin it. I was sure that one film could not outdo the other, but I was wrong. I loved each one more than the last and this scumbag who shot unarmed, innocent people is not worthy of my memory or yours.

I was lucky enough to see Nirvana a few times. They were even better live. When Kurt died, I was upset because he had so much more to offer, but we will never be blessed with it because his mental battle won out. Its a loss.

I'm with you, youbastards.

And side note, happy belated b-day.

I wasn't planning on seeing it either, then the shooting happened and yeah, it left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak. My wife took it the same way (she's not a huge comic fan, but did go see Watchmen opening night with me and has seen a comic fan crowd in full swing as they walked to the con in downtown Indy). I've always gone to the opening night showings for comic movies where the occasional person dresses up in full costume- while the rest of us just sport the logo on a t-shirt with jeans. Because of the shooting, she doesn't want me to go to ANY opening nights for comic movies anymore. I know the entire situation was completely random, but having a daughter now and hearing about the family victims has me agreeing with her........and I hate it. I hate what happened. I hate how easy it was for him to do it. I hate how another supposedly safe everyday location is now a threat. It never ends. I'm like you- anytime I hear Batman I think tragedy and not in the typical origin story sense. Same for New York and the Trade Center.

Nirvana still kicks ass.

Also, use the tragedy for motivation. The shooter pretended to be the Joker, not Batman. When I saw the movie a second time, it was even more meaningful because it was like Batman was fighting for all of us,not just Nolan's Gotham. I know what you mean though, it can be very difficult to think about Aurora, but it's important to remember them and by not seeing the film, it's a bit like letting the bad guys win.

Edited by WookieFodder

I want to clarify something. It isn't that I am specifically boycotting or avoiding the movie because of what happened or anything like that, it's more that the desire to see it is just gone. It's more of an apathy to the franchise in general. I'm not afraid something like that will happen at my showing or anything either, it's more that the desire to watch it is gone.

Wookiefodder, I'm not judging the quality of the music, just that my ability to enjoy the music has permanently been affected by that event.

My wife told me she would not go see the new Batman movie now for safety reasons, but yeah, the shooting has put a damper on the whole affair for me emotionally. Not that the movie looked to be a feel-good romp beforehand, but going to see it now seems more like going to a funeral than a finale. (Not getting the license to make Minimates for it doesn't help.)

And when I listen to Nirvana, I get sad now. Before, it was joyful. Even "Rape Me" was uplifting! No longer.

I actually only saw the movie last night. I am a big Batman fan, though I'm not 100% sold on the Nolan movies. I like them well enough, don't get me wrong, but I don't really care much for his interpretation of Batman, what with him being armored from head to toe and using super-vehicles and the like. Anyway, that's not the point; watching the movie, I had a hard time not thinking about the Colorado shootings, and not flinching every time someone walked to the theater exit (fortunately, the theater was not crowded at all). It's doubly hard to put the shootings aside when you consider that the movie itself is chock full of violence. Personally, I feel that the level of elaborate violence in our heroic fiction these days is astonishing, and I hope that we'll eventually see things dialed back a bit (I know we won't but I can hope).

As far as being affected by a tragedy, the one that sticks in my mind is the murder/suicide of WWE wrestler Chris Benoit. It took me several months before I could even watch wrestling again, and I still can't really watch any of his matches (to say nothing of his wife, who was also a longtime wrestling personality). And, since I live in Pennsylvania, the Jerry Sandusky scandal continues to be a big deal in my life.

Thanks for posting this, YB. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having trouble shrugging off the Colorado shootings.

I gotta agree 100% with Shanester, this scum-bag and his actions do not deserve to be associated with the movie, he doesn't deserve our attention in the least bit.

I read this article about two survivors going to see the film a while ago, and if they can brave it, the rest of the world should be able to as well.

Edited by Punisher

I can recall several episodes of violence at football (soccer) matches which I witnessed first-hand or via TV. Up until the late eighties I ate, slept & drank football (soccer)....I played for my local team until I was thirty-odd & when I wasn't playing I was watching my local pro team Southampton. I can recall several episodes of crowd violence at pro soccer matches which I witnessed first hand & which on more than one occasion I was involved in....I'm not very proud of that :confused: As the eighties progressed things just got worse until this happened.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heysel_Stadium_disaster

....for me that was the day soccer died . I have rarely seen a live game since although it must be emphasised that the days of violence have to a huge degree long gone.

What happened at Aurora was obscene & something clear & decisive should happen to the piece of crap that did it .....send a message to the other vermin that this will not be tolerated .

Cobain ? I liked some of his music but heroin & a shotgun will lose you your head one way or another....what else is there to say?

Edited by buttheadsmate

I was at Olympic Park the day the bomb went off, but I am not going to avoid the Olympic Games because of it. I guess my way of thinking is that I am not going to let jerks ruin anything for me.

I'm a life-long Batman fan. He's my favorite fictional character from just about any medium. I'm with Shane; I'm not about to let some murderous maniac ruin one of my favorite franchises any more than I'd let your average robber keep me away from convenience stores.

What I find interesting – and a little troubling – is that elsewhere on the 'net, people are denying "The Aurora Effect." Apparently they're not reading the same posts I am. Without a doubt there are folks who would have seen this film but chose not to after hearing about the shooting. The troubling part is that some of these folks aren't scared of seeing ANY movie, they're only scared of seeing Batman movies.

A psycho could have decided to shoot at an audience attending the Latest "Ice Age" movie. I can't help wondering how that would have impacted attendance. Would parents avoid future "Ice Age" movies or would they have stopped taking their kids to theatres altogether?

I hope that this property isn't associated with this killing for long. It doesn't help that some media outlets continue to label it "The Dark Knight Shooting" or the "Batman Massacre." I know that the killer claimed to somehow identify with the Joker but other than being a nutcase, he bore no resemblance to the character.

So no, youbastards, you're definitely not alone. I can't relate directly but I refuse to let this guy "win." The movie theatre is my church, a place of communion where like-minded people can enjoy some entertainment. I refuse to let a guy like this take that away from me, Batman film or otherwise.

All that said, I'm sure there are a few Penn State football fans who can identify with you.

Years ago while passing through Oklahoma City my wife and I stopped by site of the federal building bombing. I never really thought about the bombing much, but I walked away from the memorial with two thoughts in my head.

- Innocent people should never be killed to prove a point.

- Never let the bastards who think killing is an option win.

Keep living. Take joy in life. That's how you beat the bastards.

I can recall several episodes of violence at football (soccer) matches which I witnessed first-hand or via TV. Up until the late eighties I ate, slept & drank football (soccer)....I played for my local team until I was thirty-odd & when I wasn't playing I was watching my local pro team Southampton. I can recall several episodes of crowd violence at pro soccer matches which I witnessed first hand & which on more than one occasion I was involved in....I'm not very proud of that :confused: As the eighties progressed things just got worse until this happened.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heysel_Stadium_disaster

....for me that was the day soccer died . I have rarely seen a live game since although it must be emphasised that the days of violence have to a huge degree long gone.

So how did you deal with that, as it sounds like football was a big part of your life up until that point? Were you ambivalent to it after the stadium incident, angered? Did you make a specific decision to stop following football, or was the passion just gone?

That's the hard part about trying to come to terms with why this is bothering me, it isn't a conscious decision I am making to avoid going to see Dark Knight Rises, its more of a problem that the desire to go see it is just gone. It's not like I intentionally decided that because of the shootings, I can't go see Batman movies.

I still enjoy soccer & I'll invariably watch games on the TV but I no longer have the passion for it.

Bill Shankly ex-Liverpool soccer manager & icon once said "some people believe football is a matter of life & death ,I am very disappointed with that attitude,I can assure you it is much,much more important than that " .....& that was how I used to feel.

I watched the scenes from that previous link to the Heysel Stadium Disaster as they happened on TV & I have never wanted to be anything other than a casual TV viewer since,I was in awe of that Liverpool team & a few of their supposed 'fans' wrecked my love of the game for good.

The piece of crap that went to that cinema could just as easily have chosen 'next week's movie' so I personally don't feel that anything to do with the Dark Knight should have his shit stick to it . I do however understand why you,YB, are associating this atrocity with the movie but I feel in time the stigma will lift.

The Shooting definitely made an impact on my viewing of the movie, but it didn't turn me off of the movie. It was weird though thinking about the real-life tragedy while watching the stuff on-screen. Almost a kind of strange voyeurism happening. Like others, I started every time another patron stood up or the door opened. But I still enjoyed the movie. One of the things that really stood out to me, and I don't think it would have otherwise, was the way Batman and John Blake look at the use of guns. For some reason that resonated at the moment and in a sense, the movie was telling a slightly different story than was intended.

Due to some personal tragedies in the late 80's, I am not a big fan of boats and water-related activities. Boats, lakes, pools, etc., are nothing but trouble. I don't like being on boats- constantly on edge, and as much fun as they are, huge aquariums make me sick. Fishing, while so calming and enjoyable, is really emotional for me. So anything that involves being on, in, or under water has been ruined for me. I guess we all suffer some level of PTSD.

I don't feel the same way, but understand the sentiment. The opening weekend I had no interest in seeing the film, and it took a week or two before I felt comfortable going to see it, as it took my mind that long to disassociate the act with the film to the extent that I could enjoy it.

I get where Shane and others are coming from, but if you just have a bad feeling in your gut when you see something, and you don't get pleasure from it anymore, then I can understand not wanting to keep trying to experience it even if you would like to for philosophical reasons.

There's one example for me that sticks out, and Hellpop mentions it--Chris Benoit. He was my favorite rassler from 1995 until his murder/suicide, but after that event, I have only caught a couple of his matches, and really tried to avoid them. But in his case, he was responsible for the horrific murder of innocents in his wife and child, so personally I have a hard time getting enjoyment from anything else he did previously. With Batman, the creators of the film had nothing to really do with the actions in Colorado (apart from somehow inspiring a sick person that otherwise probably would have been inspired by something else to do some other heinous act), and in Cobain's case, he only killed himself (even though he obviously left a lot of wreckage behind with Love and his child, etc.). That must be the difference in my mind, as I still enjoy Nirvana, etc.

Same for New York and the Trade Center.

Having spent 3 great days in NY (Manhattan) nearly 25 years ago I am genuinely haunted by the fact that I don't recall seeing the Twin Towers ....... I could qualify that rather pathetic statement but it wouldn't alter the fact that it's absolutely true.

Hmm, I have taken a different stance. I love the Nolan films and refuse to let some douche bag who bought some guns and did a terrible thing, ruin it. I was sure that one film could not outdo the other, but I was wrong. I loved each one more than the last and this scumbag who shot unarmed, innocent people is not worthy of my memory or yours.

Could not have said what I wanted to better, Shane. I personally hold no correlation between the films themselves and the tragedy in Aurora.

That being said, I wish that guy the worst on his trip to prison. I have a feeling he's not going to do too well, even inmates don't like people who shoot innocent children.verymad.gif

I had no problems seeing it after the shooting. I'll admit I was there at midnight and I didn't hear about it until after I got home, but I had literally no problems going back for Batman Round 2. And for a little while it bothered me... why didn't it change anything? Why didn't it change how I look at this film? Why didn't it move me in a way that it didn't the first time around?

I think it came from a couple of things. One is that I have very little fear of death. I won't put myself into a dangerous situation but I do accept that if death wants to come it will come whenever the hell it cares to. The second thing is that I have a strong agreement with Shane. Batman didn't deserve this stigma. I REALLY don't appreciate the media going out of its way to connect it to Batman. Call it the Aurora Shooting don't drag Batman's name into the mud with this fucking bastard ass.

And the biggest thing for me is that this is an incident... Batman is a symbol. He's more than this. New York is more than 9/11. Oklahoma City is more than that bombing. And Batman is FAR more than this shooting. I'm not trying to make a statement by going to that movie. I'm going to a movie because I really love Batman. If I get to say "fuck you" to someone who tries to ruin lives and crush people... well bonus.

As Superman said in Holy Musical Batman:

That's the American way.

I've been meaning to mention this somewhere, but Chuck made a big donation to the Aurora Rise charity auction, benefiting those who lost loved ones. Not a lot of Minimates, but I know he donated his personal silver Spider-Man, if anyone is looking for a reason to make a contribution.

Having spent 3 great days in NY (Manhattan) nearly 25 years ago I am genuinely haunted by the fact that I don't recall seeing the Twin Towers ....... I could qualify that rather pathetic statement but it wouldn't alter the fact that it's absolutely true.

I went to New York one year after the attack. I visited ground zero. It was gut-renching to see what was left of the towers and huge black tarps billowing in the night air to keep debris from falling off. Gives me the chills just thinking about it now.

Edited by Jeff

Link?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aurora-Rise-Benefit-Event/479465245414113

I went to New York one year after the attack. I visited ground zero. It was gut-renching to see what was left of the towers and huge black tarps billowing in the night air to keep debris from falling off. Gives me the chills just thinking about it now.

Went to the top of the WTC probably 20 years ago. My friend lost his brother in the attack. I have not been to Ground Zero, even though I work a short subway ride away. I want to go see what they've done, it's just tough.