UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thundercats Minimates

The old show looked great, but even as a youngster I knew it was painfully poorly written. Strong concepts,cringe-worthy execution. Like makes G1 season three look like Shakespear. New show started rocky, but it finished the season strong. YMMV

But the classic designs are much better known, and this set should sell well at SDCC.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old show looked great, but even as a youngster I knew it was painfully poorly written. Strong concepts,cringe-worthy execution. Like makes G1 season three look like Shakespear. New show started rocky, but it finished the season strong. YMMV

But the classic designs are much better known, and this set should sell well at SDCC.

My feelings exactly.

Yeah, I didn't want to offend anyone too too much here, but I bought up a season of T-Cats a couple years ago and really struggled to get through a couple of episodes. And this is a guy who can watch G1 Transformers and old school GI Joe all day long. I'm nostalgic for the show and designs, but the show doesn't hold up at all for me.

I actually found proof of my once interest at my mom's house recently. She had a big poster I drew up when I was in Kindergarten. There were all these questions on it, and one was of what my favorite TV show was, and I wrote Thundercats. I was actually surprised to see that, since I feel a lot more connected to TFs and Joes as an adult, and don't remember being all that attached to T-Cats, but I must have been at one point.

Edited by karamazov80

The "good" episodes of Thundercats (and yes there are some very bad episodes in there) hold up better for me than most '80s cartoons, but it was really my favorite show by a mile as a kid, so a lot of that may well be nostalgia. But after revisiting other shows of that era with much less success, I was surprised by the quality of the animation and music on T-Cats, if not the writing so much. Plus realizing Panthro was Dr. Huxtable's dad was kind of mind-blowing :tongue:

I haven't watched the second half of the new cartoon yet, but the first batch of episodes didn't do as much for me as I'd hoped, coming to it either as a Thundercats kid or as an Avatar fan. The pilot was pretty good, but the rest were a bit scattershot.

But hey, however bad it was, it couldn't have been nearly as bad as that putrid, eye-bleed inducing, abomination of a He-Man cartoon. Am I right, Battlecat? Am I. . .oh, wait. . . :mellow:

But hey, however bad it was, it couldn't have been nearly as bad as that putrid, eye-bleed inducing, abomination of a He-Man cartoon. Am I right, Battlecat? Am I. . .oh, wait. . . :mellow:

:biggrin: I loved Thundercats way more than He-Man, but there's no way I was calling myself Snarf on here!

I've long labeled myself as a casual Thundercats fan. I mainly collect Mumm-Ra and after watching a couple of of the old episodes a few years back I realized I really only liked Mumm-Ra's transformation scene :) The same can be said for Silverhawks too. I have a couple of the figures and the into is the best part about the cartoon

The second half of the New T-Cats did a lot of tieing together and apparently there was a plan for most of those semmingly random early episodes... except the flower people and the paper wizards, those remain in the "and the point of this episode was...?" category. The updated Jackleman, Monkion, and Vulture Man are well worth seeing. The original Lion-o as modern Lion-o's father is a stroke of genius, and the more flashbacks they have of him the better IMO.

But you are right, BC, the music and art on the old show were top notch and hold up better than most of the shows of the day. (of course when then ever inconsistently done Transformers and GI Joe were then next two contenders... ) And I do miss the T-Cat signal, which the new school sword apparently doesn't do.

So... has a whole line been announced, or just the boxed set?

(and to be clear, Zach, it wouldn't be crispies, it's a be peanut butter filled center. Reeses Minimates... see, you're getting humgry just thinging about it :yes: )

I think you're all missing the most obvious 80's property that should be mated next: MASK. Simplistic, colorful designs with helmets and hairpieces would be a perfect fit for Minimates.

At least one other person mentioned MASK before, but I agree it hasn't come up as often as it should. It does seem like a perfect fit, as the mix-n-match nature of Minimates would seem to really compliment the MASK concept. Also, I think MASK vehicles would do much better at retail then the other vehicles we've seen.

But MASK is owned by Hasbro, right? They slipped Matt Tracker into GI Joe 25th, after all, and I can't imagine they'd pay anyone for what amounts to a novelty figure. Hopefully, it's not impossible.

So... has a whole line been announced, or just the boxed set?

Not exactly announced, but hinted at per the last ask DST: http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2012/06/ask-dst-164/#more-7050

DSTCHUCK: We get asked lots of time to develop MM for other folks and most of the time we say no thanks. If it’s a real cool opportunity then we do say yes once in the while. We’re working on a real cool line for someone right now and I think they plan to sell their first products at SDCC.

But MASK is owned by Hasbro, right? They slipped Matt Tracker into GI Joe 25th, after all, and I can't imagine they'd pay anyone for what amounts to a novelty figure. Hopefully, it's not impossible.

That's right, so unless Hasbro decideds to license the rights, IF we see a Mask block figure style line, it'll probably be Kre-o

Only vaguely remember TigerSharks. Silver Hawks I remember as fondly as Thunder Cats. Again great designs, strong music, painful writing execution.

1341325222[/url]' post='235121']

I think you're all missing the most obvious 80's property that should be mated next: MASK. Simplistic, colorful designs with helmets and hairpieces would be a perfect fit for Minimates.

Without the vehicles, I think it would be lost on a lot of people. I think that's what made the show and vintage toyline stand out.