UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

I'll gladly add whatever Minimates DST wants to produce from this line to my collection, whether it lasts two years or twenty. I can already see myself buying multiples of some of these sets. Even the Enterprise vehicles – which I was not happy about a couple Toy Fairs ago – have grown on me.

Speaking of being a completist, I really need to track down a Unification Spock. I don't need Elf Spock but I'd love to get that TNG version.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm going to cry even harder if when we don't get the whole TNG cast.

Hey, dont be so pessimi--

>I too will be sobbing like a baby if we don't get all of the crews from TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

sweat.gif

How about just the entire TNG crew? And hopefully DS9?

I'd be down for buying every main cast member from every TV series, along with every memorable & toyetic design, but I'd gladly sacrifice every Voyager and Enterprise character for TNG & DS9 minimates!

Now that I think about it, it's too bad Archer didn't come with the Andorian Shran played by Jeffrey Coombs instead of that Xindi alien. I'd have bought even more for customizing TOS Andorians.

Can't wait to see tray shots of the TRU wave! The accessories are fantastic, and I LOVE the screaming Kirk face!

Now that I think about it, it's too bad Archer didn't come with the Andorian Shran played by Jeffrey Coombs instead of that Xindi alien. I'd have bought even more for customizing TOS Andorians.

Zach, if you read this, monkey speaks for all of us when he requests Jeffrey Combs Minimates. That Andorian guy, the Jem Hadar leader guy, the Ferengi, and whoever else he might have ever played in any of those shows. Also, we demand a Re-Animater box set.

I'd be down for buying every main cast member from every TV series, along with every memorable & toyetic design, but I'd gladly sacrifice every Voyager and Enterprise character for TNG & DS9 minimates!

Hear hear! I don't have anything against those other shows, but TNG and DS9 will always be my favorites. I'm REEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY hoping we get more of those crews. And more Jeffrey Combs, obviously. I also wouldn't complain about getting more of the TOS crew in movie uniforms.

Hear hear! I don't have anything against those other shows, but TNG and DS9 will always be my favorites. I'm REEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY hoping we get more of those crews. And more Jeffrey Combs, obviously. I also wouldn't complain about getting more of the TOS crew in movie uniforms.

I agree with you guys 100%, TNG & DS9 all the way. Regardless, I know they'll be a fair representation of TOS. I do hope they'll keep those to more movie related styles.

Edited by johnboy8

New Trek mate pics are up on DST's FB page. I took the liberty of tweaking the first one a little. Personally I think the voice balloon adds to another dimension to Zach's awesome pic.

kirkk.jpg

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Zach, if you read this, monkey speaks for all of us when he requests Jeffrey Combs Minimates. That Andorian guy, the Jem Hadar leader guy, the Ferengi, and whoever else he might have ever played in any of those shows. Also, we demand a Re-Animater box set.

Wow, never realized that was the same actor, which I guess means he's a good one! Andorian dude was way cooler than Weyoun though. If DST made him and T'Pol, that'd be enough Enterprise to make me happy. Same with DS9, all of them would be great but give me a Kira and Odo and I won't join in on all the crying. TNG though, I want them all except Wesley thumbsup.gif

I don't think we've done any planning for Series 2 yet, but I imagine more TOS would be in the offering, specifically in the classic color-coding they use in the new films. But as you can see, it is only a small percentage.

No disrespect Zach, but what's the hold up? Would series 2 even be out by the end of the year? No offense, but at that rate it will take forever to complete any crew.

I think DST is being understandably cautious.

In the past, they've banked almost exclusively on TOS-era Trek, especially with Minimates. Now that they're offering a mix of eras, they're waiting for sell-through before green-lighting a second series with either a similar mix or one that skews toward those 2-packs that sell best. Personally I hope they all sell well.

They've got the license for more than a year or two, I'm sure. There's no hurry (unless you're only collecting Trek 'mates). I'm as eager as any fan to fill my collection with more of these little guys but I also want them to be done right. Hopefully this mix of characters will be a huge hit and DST can move forward with confidence.

And as someone who collects other lines (Marvel, Walking Dead, Disney, Thundercats and hopefully Tomb Raider, Invincible, Lost in Space and Aliens), I'm okay with Trek taking its time while other, more finite offerings fill the void.

OK I'm not a Star Trek fanatic although I respect its popularity & I want to emphasise that I want these forthcoming ST Minimates to sell well .

Pick up a Marvel Minimate ,almost any Marvel Minimate, & you start posing it in a scenario you might recall from your personal memory storage (comics,movie,game,TV etc,) ....it's easy to do because Marvel characters 'exist' in our world . Their 'existence' therefore makes any perceived backdrop,diorama or setting from anywhere perfectly feasible in your (mine at least) imagination .

I can't do that with Trek 'mates ,is it a personal thing ?

They're toys. There's no wrong way to play with them.

I never watched the original Thundercats cartoons and may have seen half of the new ones. That's a lot like saying I've never seen the original Star Trek but I've seen the first Abrams flick. That doesn't keep me from appreciating, collecting, and enjoying the Thundercats Minimates. They just appeal to me even though they're from Thundara (or wherever) and not Manhattan.

Same with Halo. I've never played the game and know very little about the property but I liked the 'mates and vehicles enough to add them to my collection.

All that said, I've always been like that. My Mego collection knew no boundaries but those of my imagination. I had no problem having Kirk's crew travel back in time to Gotham City to get Batman's assistance in solving a mystery on the Planet of the Apes, one that somehow involved Tarzan and Spider-Man. I didn't care if it didn't make sense because it was fun. It still is.

Is it a personal thing? Maybe. Any toy's probably easier to appreciate if you're already familiar with its respective brand but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to enjoy it as a decent toy.

With respect I think you might have missed my point or maybe I never actually got to it ? thumbsup.gif

I specifically bought an Enterprise bridge kit to liven up my TOS Minimates (Tossers?) who just looked kinda looked bloody lost before ......I feel this line benefits dramatically with a related backdrop........hint hint ermm.gif . Just saying..... & I wasn't saying anything about them not being toys or that there is a wrong way to play with them......no harm in seeing the X-men on the Enterprise Bridge for example .

Yeah, sorry I missed your hint. I'm tired.

I agree, some backdrops (whether printed or sculpted) wouldn't hurt. If there was a way to turn the packaging into a simple diorama, maybe by printing something on the back of the cross promotional insert, that might suffice.

Personally I'd prefer a shuttlecraft but I'd settle for an ink-on-paper backdrop.

But only one X-Man belongs on the bridge of the Enterprise:

1288983393ProfessorXavier.jpg

tongue.png

I think DST is being understandably cautious.

In the past, they've banked almost exclusively on TOS-era Trek, especially with Minimates. Now that they're offering a mix of eras, they're waiting for sell-through before green-lighting a second series with either a similar mix or one that skews toward those 2-packs that sell best. Personally I hope they all sell well.

Here's my concern:

Zach (and Chuck IIRC) have both stated that work hasn't even been started on wave 2. No designs, no planning. That is what bothers me personally. If they had wave 2 at least planned & sketched up then I'd feel more confident about their faith in the line. *When* wave 1 is successful (not If :) ), then what's the lead time going to be on getting wave 2 out? Honestly, I think having yearly releases like Universal Monsters did will not be healthy for this line!

As I've said many times, we just had the 25th anniversary of STTNG, and the Blu Rays will be completed by the end of next year. I know we're getting Trek mates due to the new movie, but there's a lot of marketing "heat" coming from the STTNG market. And very likely, we'll get the rest of the shows on Blu Ray as well, so Trek will be on a lot of buyer's minds for the next few years.

Wave 1 is incredibly strong, and it's very difficult to imagine it not doing well. So it's disheartening to hear there's been *no* movement on wave 2 at all!

I agree, some backdrops (whether printed or sculpted) wouldn't hurt. If there was a way to turn the packaging into a simple diorama, maybe by printing something on the back of the cross promotional insert, that might suffice.

Personally I'd prefer a shuttlecraft but I'd settle for an ink-on-paper backdrop.

tongue.png

There have been many others............ thumbsup.gif

post-638-0-16689100-1368711814_thumb.jpg

Wow, never realized that was the same actor, which I guess means he's a good one! Andorian dude was way cooler than Weyoun though. If DST made him and T'Pol, that'd be enough Enterprise to make me happy. Same with DS9, all of them would be great but give me a Kira and Odo and I won't join in on all the crying. TNG though, I want them all except Wesley thumbsup.gif

Yeah, even I wasn't totally sure that was him as the Ferengi Commerce Authority guy until I saw his name scroll by on some episode, though I had my suspicions the first couple of times I saw him. He was such a staple to DS9 at one point that he was basically a regular member of the cast.

http://ds9.trekcore.com/castcrew/pages/brunt.html

Combs also played the rich guy who was obsessed with Kira and wanted Quark to make him a special holosuite program with her as his sex slave. laugh.png

LOL at the Wesley comment biggrin.png

Wave 1 is incredibly strong, and it's very difficult to imagine it not doing well. So it's disheartening to hear there's been *no* movement on wave 2 at all!

I wish I shared your optimism, but something about this license just doesn't instill me with confidence that it's gonna do well, no matter how diverse the lineups are. I really, really hope I'm wrong because I would be thrilled to have the DS9 and Next Generation crews on my shelf. Zach saying more original series stuff is coming just makes me think that's a pipe dream though. My original series itch was totally scratched with the crew released years back, though I will be picking up the new Kirk and Khan. Edited by karamazov80

I still think the best way to handle Trek in Minimate form would be as LCS specialty boxsets of entire bridge crews with a supporting TRU Wave of random supporting characters coupled with the "big 3" of the bridge set, rather than 2 (LCS and TRU) diverse assortments of characters per wave. Package the LCS bridge crew boxset as a 'LIMITED EDITION' with some fancy packaging shaped like the ship they represent, with a slipcover box or something more ornamental than a standard DST boxset. Make it 'Collector-friendly' so they can remove the 'mates then return them to the box, and it would be a huge hit!

Imagine a TOS boxset with the entire bridge crew at specialty, then a TRU supporting Wave. Obviously Kirk and Spock would have to be in the TRU wave, but then the rest of the slots could be filled with aliens, redshirts, Klingons, etc.

That way, collectors would be able to snap up the entire crew at once without have to wait years (IF the full crew gets released at all), and casual buyers at TRU would still be interested since some of the significant crew were in that wave. Give the TRU repeats some alternate expressions and gear to encourage cross sales to the collectors that bought the full boxset.

DST doesn't even need to release the bridge crews sequentially, start with Next Gen, then Voyager, then TOS, Enterprise, DS9 to add a little variety.

Do this 2 or 3 times a year, and if it is successful enough to cover all of the crews of TOS, Next Gen, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, then you can move into Movie versions released the same way. I would LOVE a bridge crew of 'Voyage Home'!

I will support this line and do wish it success, but I think that the variety of shows per wave will be more of a problem than a solution.

Edited by youbastards

Yes, I know someone out there is still strongly fixed on TOS, but there is more to Trek than TOS. We need our TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. I agree with a lot of what was already stated in other posts, but I really do want the full crews for each series. I think that if Wave 2 is going to be a success, then DST needs to understand that we (the collectors) want our crews completed.

DST could do Wave 2 with a reworked Spock with a reworked Klingon, Riker with a TNG Romulan, Kira with a Vorta (maybe the one protrayed by Combs), Chakotay with a Kazon, and T'Pol with a Suliban.

Then Wave 3 could be a reworked McCoy with a TOS Romulan, Data with Gowron, Jadzia Dax with Martok, Tuvok with Vidiian, and Tucker with Soval.

Then Wave 4 could be a reworked Scotty with a TOS Alien, LaForge with a Pakled, DS9 Worf (with extra TNG Uniform) with Founder, B'Elana with Voyager Alien, and Neelix with Daniels

and I could go on but I will have rethink what aliens would be great in Minimate form. These are just my thoughts at the moment.

Saw the new movie at midnight last night and it was Great but I am a little confused because if I was not already versed in Trek-lore I would have been lost. Too much crammed in a short time frame.

Here's my concern:

Zach (and Chuck IIRC) have both stated that work hasn't even been started on wave 2. No designs, no planning. That is what bothers me personally. If they had wave 2 at least planned & sketched up then I'd feel more confident about their faith in the line. *When* wave 1 is successful (not If smile.png ), then what's the lead time going to be on getting wave 2 out? Honestly, I think having yearly releases like Universal Monsters did will not be healthy for this line!

I understand your concern but they can't plan or design anything until they know this multi-era formula is a winner. I think this is how Trek 'mates should have been offered from the start and expect it to work. The great irony is that they're trying Trek again in a movie year with a film based on TOS characters so there's some reasonable doubt.

Fortunately there's not a lot of Trek merchandise on the shelves to compete with. Hasbro's Fighter Pods seems to be it. I was happy to see the Star Trek logo nice and big on the Legacy packaging, though. The only problem is that new fans of the films looking for their favorite characters won't find any they recognize. So again, there's doubt.

I'd love to be optimistic but apparently even pre-orders haven't bolstered DST's confidence enough to plan Series 2. They'll wait for sell-through, see exactly which SKUs sold best, and move forward from there.

I don't think it will take long after they finally hit retail to determine whether this formula works or not so hopefully they can start planning the line's future in late June/early July. Zach already said "I imagine more TOS would be in the offering, specifically in the classic color-coding they use in the new films." That leads me to believe that 1) They want to take advantage of the recent film look and 2) They want to keep at least some of the designs simple enough to produce quickly.

Fortunately a good deal of Trek characters wear simple costumes that don't require a lot of new sculpting and tooling, if any. They should be able to turn a second series around within six months, maybe less as they did with X-Men: First Class.

tongue.png

Whoah! Is Kirk dressed up as Professor X for Halloween?

Yes, I know someone out there is still strongly fixed on TOS, but there is more to Trek than TOS. We need our TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. I agree with a lot of what was already stated in other posts, but I really do want the full crews for each series. I think that if Wave 2 is going to be a success, then DST needs to understand that we (the collectors) want our crews completed.

DST could do Wave 2 with a reworked Spock with a reworked Klingon, Riker with a TNG Romulan, Kira with a Vorta (maybe the one protrayed by Combs), Chakotay with a Kazon, and T'Pol with a Suliban.

Then Wave 3 could be a reworked McCoy with a TOS Romulan, Data with Gowron, Jadzia Dax with Martok, Tuvok with Vidiian, and Tucker with Soval.

Then Wave 4 could be a reworked Scotty with a TOS Alien, LaForge with a Pakled, DS9 Worf (with extra TNG Uniform) with Founder, B'Elana with Voyager Alien, and Neelix with Daniels

and I could go on but I will have rethink what aliens would be great in Minimate form. These are just my thoughts at the moment.

Saw the new movie at midnight last night and it was Great but I am a little confused because if I was not already versed in Trek-lore I would have been lost. Too much crammed in a short time frame.

Your lists make me drool. . .except Neelix. His is my Wesley biggrin.png