UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Amazing Spiderman Movie Mates!

Punisher

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was indeed a Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head montage that was supposed to show how much better Peter's life was without being Spider-Man. I don't remember the hot dog, but he did get his schoolwork done, and had time to make some money at his job and generally looked happy. It was cheesy as all get out. But I kinda digged it.

There was a hot dog (a veggie dog actually since Tobey doesn’t eat meat) it’s at the very end of the sequence.

All this shitting on the Raimi Spider-man movies (which are awesome, even SM3 which despite being utter shit is still all sorts of awesome, I can make a 9 point list as to why it is.) reminds me when they started making “Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li” and people kept saying “FINALLY we’ll get a good Street Fighter movie!” and that movie was TERRIBLE. JCVD’s SF will never get a fair shake since fans will never realize it’s intentionally campy and hilarious, and maybe someone out there thinks it’s “better” then JCVD’s movie, but that doesn’t mean LoCL was ‘good’ by default... Amazing Spider-man is the same deal, you can shit all over Raimi all you want it doesn’t mean Amazing Spider-man ‘is a better Spider-man movie’, it still has to all come together as a watchable movie and we won’t know until May if that happened or not.

I look at superhero movies like the Bond films, it goes through a makeover with new cast/main actor every 10 years or so, but at the end the day it's still Bond being Bond

Oooo... I like this philosophy. And I have a feeling this will become the philosophy that Superhero films go by. It just hasn't established itself yet. I mean really... do you guys want Michael Keaton still playing Batman in his current age? He wouldn't be too... appropriate to the character unless they were doing The Dark Knight Returns...

And yes. I DO want a Tim Burton directed The Dark Knight Returns starring Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson in a reunion flick.

Dear misters Warner and Warner,

Make. It. So.

Not to drag this too far off topic, baggy, but for me I was just uncomfortable with just how ill Gonez II looked, and then he died shortly thereafter. It was literally watching JCVD beat up a dying man. My brain couldn't move past that idea.

much like the upcoming batman flick, i'm hoping this film will be good despite the visual designs being bad(Spideys costume, lizards design, Bane, cat woman) I understand the "need" to update the looks for each new film from a marketing standpoint so they can sell more toys etc. but the decisions made just leave me wondering WTF. the Raimi spidey suit worked well i thought with its traditional design but the added elements of the hexagonal texture and the silver webbing making it "new" enough. i think a return to the traditional black webbing but with maybe larger "mcFarlane" eyes and underarm webbing would have worked for ASM. lizard being his first movie appearance should have had a more traditional comic look IMO basically a velociraptor in a lab coat , i always had the idea that green goblin would have "worked" with his hi tech military combat suit if it had been designed with a modern military type helmet that osborne didn't want to use when he dons the suit and he instead finds/steals a typical latex Halloween mask to hide his face, this mask of course looks like the comic style goblin face with the hat built on. this would have appealed to the comic fans, allowed Dafoe to use his face to emote and been a logical explanation as to why a military suit had a goblin helmet.

as for Bane and Catwoman i think both should be basically in their comic style duds(military fatigues/tank top and leather catsuit respectively) sans the masks.

I liked the Raimi films well enough until the studio forced him to use a character for whom he clearly had no affinity. Sandman could have easily filled the whole film and without Venom, there'd have been none of that over-the-top silliness with Peter.

As for the reboot, I can't say I'm in love with the costume. I hope they explain where Peter Parker – science geek and amateur photographer – manages to procure such a set of duds like those.

I'm not crazy about the Rob Pattinson lookalike if only because it smacks of pandering to Twi-heads. Still, he's got the right, lean physique despite being too tall and too pretty for my ideal Peter Parker.

One of the changes I did like to the Spider-Man mythology was the introduction of organic web-shooters. It just made more sense to me that this would be a true spider-power, certainly more so than "spider-sense." (None of the spiders killed in my house ever indicated such an ability.)

All that said, after seeing the last trailer, I'm stoked to see the movie in 3D, if only for the cinematography. I have no idea what the tone of the film will actually be since previews can be intentionally misleading but I'm hopeful that it will remind me more of Ultimate Spider-Man than anything else.

Oh, and I'll be picking up the Minimates as well. ;)

I do think he'll acquire the costume somewhere, a bit like Kick Ass. People have said it looks a bit (lot) like a motorcross (or one of those other silly sports) suit.

The constant comparisons of Garfield to R-Patz... is it all because he has big hair? After all, he doesn't look anything like him beyond that.

For those who haven't already made there mind up about this film, and aren't really aware of Garfield or his work, I can promise he is a wonderful actor, and knows how to pick a role. Huge Spidey fan as well, from childhood.

Boy A, Never Let Me Go, Red Riding... can't recommend them enough.

I do think he'll acquire the costume somewhere, a bit like Kick Ass. People have said it looks a bit (lot) like a motorcross (or one of those other silly sports) suit.

The constant comparisons of Garfield to R-Patz... is it all because he has big hair? After all, he doesn't look anything like him beyond that.

For those who haven't already made there mind up about this film, and aren't really aware of Garfield or his work, I can promise he is a wonderful actor, and knows how to pick a role. Huge Spidey fan as well, from childhood.

Boy A, Never Let Me Go, Red Riding... can't recommend them enough.

I agree with all of it. And remember that Peter Parker has pretty much always been portrayed as traditionally handsome. I've never seen him drawn as ugly, or even as Tobey Maguire quirky. He's a square-jawed dude. Yes, he wore some unfortunate sweater-vests and (gasp) glasses early on, but after a while he was wearing contacts and Members Only jackets like the best of them. And as far as hair product go, it could be worse -- he could have a Ditko spit-curl.

chip%2Bin.jpg

Why are people always hating on sweater vests? They're snappy, look great with anything, and, above all else, they're comfortable.

Anyway, hearing everything that's been said, I haven't got a single problem with this movie so far. I think the costume looks better in trailers than it does in stills, but that's avout it. It's a got a great cast, and it looks like it'll take itself fairly seriously. I enjoyed the Raimi movies, but it'll be nice to see it taken a little more seriously too. And Lizard and Spidey here are both waaaaaaay better than Green Goblin.

And bringing it back on topic, the 'mates look great. I might pick up multiples of Capt Stacey for some other QCs. And regardless of how you feel about the designs, Spidey and Lizard both look well executed.

Lover or hater, I think we can all agree to looking forward to Swiss Miss's appearance in Amazing Spider-Man 2.

That Ditko picture Zach posted, doesn't he look extraordinarily like the goofy Parker face that everyone hates on, wave... 24? The one with Trans Venom, Shocker, etc.

1. I love sweater vests, they were just shorthand for "nerd" in the 1960s.

2. I like a good Ditko Parker, too, I just couldn't figure our what that forelock was in that pic. I was trying to find a shot of a real Superman-style spit-curl (I could have sworn I'd seen one somewhere), but settled for that. REGARDLESS, first appearance Peter Parker had plenty of product in his hair, it was just that he used it to make it flat, not puffy.

However bad you think this movie looks, i'd just lke to remind you all: it could be worse, guys . . .

xlarge_goblin.jpg

Official-Pics-From-The-Spider-Man-Musical.jpg

much, MUCH worse,

Sweet Zombie Jesus!!!! it looks like Shumacher got a hold of this. What is that in the second pic? Electro or Rocket Racer? :sick:

However bad you think this movie looks, i'd just lke to remind you all: it could be worse, guys . . .

xlarge_goblin.jpg

Official-Pics-From-The-Spider-Man-Musical.jpg

much, MUCH worse,

Sweet Zombie Jesus!!!! it looks like Shumacher got a hold of this. What is that in the second pic? Electro or Rocket Racer? :sick:

Ahem... Swiss... Miss...

Apparently what happens when a human decides they want to be a Swiss Army Knife. Electro is in this abomination... but does not look like that.

All about some Ditko Parker Love

1567550-peter_spider.jpg

DANG RIGHT!

After being raised on my dad's beaten copies (from a tornado) of Spidey by Lee and Romita, Sr. I got the first 3 volumes of the original run of Marvel Masterworks way back as a kid and read the reprints of the very issue this pin-up is from.

The Omnibus of Ditko/Lee Spidey is my #1 "Stranded Island" collection.

But are you rockin' the blue suit and red tie to go with it?