UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I think we need to start the army builders again?

Polarboy

86 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see previous army builders reissued

• Yes - In regular waves
    • Yes - In boxsets of a single builder ie 4 sentinals
    • Yes - In mixed boxsets ie 1 sentinal 1 kree etc
    • Yes - In regular waves with a slight variation to prior releases ie battle damage
    • No - I don't want the number of figures released each year reduced to create space for reissues
    • Yes - In single box army dumps
  2. 2. Which Army Builders (non-movie) do you want more of?

I think it's been asked lots of times, actually, to both Ask DST and at con forums. And I think the answer has been that he just doesn't think they would sell, especially not as rereleases. And I agree with him, personally, but I'm not an army-building kind of guy.

I think it would be neat, and not just for the hardcores. I'll work on him.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's been asked lots of times, actually, to both Ask DST and at con forums. And I think the answer has been that he just doesn't think they would sell, especially not as rereleases. And I agree with him, personally, but I'm not an army-building kind of guy.

Once you guys are back from TF I'll send along some persuasion to your office.

That is, if you don't get fired because of that guy from the Q&A that's only just now finding out about Marvel Select. You've always got a home with us here, Zach!

Edited by hellpop

I would buy two boxes of each A.I.M. and Hydra goons. Even if they were just straight rereleases of the comic ones we already got, because I think those are such perfect representations of what they are. I love them.

AIM guys are adorable. And Hydra goons are hysterical, especially when they're always shouting. But there may be a perfectly good reason for it.

I would buy two boxes of each A.I.M. and Hydra goons. Even if they were just straight rereleases of the comic ones we already got, because I think those are such perfect representations of what they are. I love them.

AIM guys are adorable. And Hydra goons are hysterical, especially when they're always shouting. But there may be a perfectly good reason for it.

My guess would be that their underpants are on too tight or really chafe under those tunics or whatever they wear. But I love the A.I.M. guys a whole lot.

I would buy a bunch of each if they were in the $3-$4 range per figure. I haven't done any army building yet, because I haven't been able to justify getting many duplicates of a unique character.

Throw in some updated weapons and I'd buy a case each of Hydra and AIM troops.

My guess would be that their underpants are on too tight or really chafe under those tunics or whatever they wear. But I love the A.I.M. guys a whole lot.

See ^ This is why we need a facepalm emoticon. (luvya, Geo, meanit)

We appreciate your fact finding efforts for the sake of 616 army dumps, Zach.

Although, before we completely and irrevocably hijack this thread, we might want to either start another thread or nerco the one we were using the last time we discussed this idea (which was clearly before Zach joined)

Edited by Mirymate

I would buy a whole bin of X-Men themed builders - Some 90's Maddrox's, Stepform Cuckoos, Prime Sentinels!

I'd also be interested in non-x bins. Brinf no any kind of a 616 dump bin that includes female or battle damaged Skrulls, Hydra, Hellfire Goons, SHIELD agents, AoA Sentinels, AoA Madri, Brood, Warwolves, etc...

If the Movie Dump Bins are selling well for you guys, i really can't imagine 616 comic army builders not selling.

If Chuck is reluctant to go down this path, i would expect that it is because he is worried about either

a) re-releasing characters and subsequent poor sales from doing so, or

B) dump-bin sales hurting 2-pack sales of army builders.

Edit: Damn it! apparently a 'b' followed by a ')' = sunglasses!

Edited by Nessex

Instead of single pack army dumps, release a specialty Army Builder wave (similar to the upcoming "Best Of" wave.

12 packs in a case.

- New Hero 1 & Villain 1 (x4) - Example: Mandroid & Moloid

- New Hero 2 & Villain 2 (x4) - Example: 90's Madrox & Brood

- Reissue Army Builder pack (x3) - AIM & Hydra

- Unique Hero & Unique Villain (x1) - Dum Dum Duggan & Baron Strucker

I think youbastards has a good idea, I'd narrow it down to the traditional army builder dump, what about releasing an obscure villain or hero with army builders, like Baron Von Strucker with some Hydra guys? Almost all these army builders are associated with name characters also. Throw in Madame Hydra and maybe one other character with nine Hydras. I'd buy that.

Edited by Valo487

Ah well... I tried...

Really, not every group or race is army dump worthy IMO. AIM, Hydra, SHIELD, the Sentinels, Moliods, the Brood, maybe Madrox are about all I think would really work. Maybe the Skrull, Kree, and Shiar too.

I think selling a yellow uniformed SHIELD agent, with Nimrod and Hulk parts to make him a Mandroid would just be too cool a two pack not to see done. Sure, it's more of a one pack with boat load of accessories, but it's be a way to get what we want and keep coss down low enough for DST to try it. This idea would also work for the armored Hellfire knights seen in early clashes with the X-Men.

What was this thread about again? ;)

Kang?

Yes. Until they relent, yes, they all are eventually. :teehee:

If DST started making comic army dumps of previously released figures, there can be no doubt at all they'd sell very, very well. If they started producing army dumps for new figures, then things get very, very messy indeed.

That said, I do think they should stick to the 2-pack army builders. How many more are there that with the appeal of Skrulls, SHIELD, Aim, Hydra? For example, eBay seems flooded with Stone Men, for very cheap.

Sorry Miry

Sorry Miry

For... ? Keeping the discussion going here? >shrug< I tried. It would have become a split discussion anyway, half would have followed to the new/nerco'd thread, half kept going on this one and a few floating between. And since we started talking about the almost happened Movie figure dump, it's marginally relavent.

And for what it's worth, I agree with you. It's a small handful of groups/races that would work in this format, and most have been done in 2 packs already at this point. The ones that would work IMO would sell at least as well and the drones and Movie Hydras did.

You realise who designed the 'Volkswagen',who ordered its development & what volkswagen means ?

Ferdinand Porsche,Adolf Hitler ,people's car.

I didn't know that first fact! That's fascinating.

If army builders performed spectacularly, I"m sure we'd do more of them. I'll suss it out at Toy Fair.

Disciples

The army dump cases are only produced in small numbers & really ought to sell out every time they're released .

The crux of the issue is whether they'd sell in greater numbers with a non-flavour-of -the-month character choice . I keep thinking of Skrulls & the Secret Invasion set ......some people loved them ,many thought it an opportunity missed.

edit: as was my sp.mistake

Edited by buttheadsmate

Secret Invasion was almost a total win for me.

Great version of Phoenix. She's permanently on display on my VHS case.

It was nice to get Jewel. I'm all for female and obscure characters.

If it had not been for the bit of green showing, i would have called this the definitive Beast. It out did all previous versions made despite having never washed behind his ears.

Plus 4 Skrull heads. This really made me happy as a set - even if it didn't really tie into the story itself very much.

Perhaps a set with Wasp, Skrull Elektra , Blackbolt & a new 616 Fury might have been more appropriate?