UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel wave 44

Lobsterman

You mean like Spike from X-Men: Evolution?

IIRC, Marrow came first.

Yep. But she wasn't included on the show for a couple reasons- she's boarderline psychotic on a good day and thought to be a little too dark for kids' TV. Second, she's caucasian (if magenta) and they wanted a young minority character in their core cast. So they took Marrow's powers and gave them to an invented nephew of Storm's.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who likes Marrow (duh, I started the Marrow talk in this thread) I wouldn't call her borderline psychotic on a good day... meanie. :P (lol)

Maybe borderline psychotic on a bad day... lol...

But she's had many good days where she was perfectly personable. I remember a story where her and Colossus went on a road trip and bonded... which was right around when I started to like her as a character.

Her mood seems to fluxuate under the helm of different creative teams, and how pretty or ugly she is at the time, lol...

Ugly Marrow (Gene Nation) hates the world and wants to kill us all!

Pretty Marrow (Late X-Men, Weapon X) can be down-right friendly and up-beat.

Medium Marrow (the one in her early X-Men days and MvC2, which has pretty much become her definative look) seems just personable enough to work with a team, but just rough around the edges enough to get on everyones nerves.

The girl was raised in a hellish kill-or-be-killed parralel universe and has trust issues stemming not only from most-everyone she ever met trying to kill her for a large chunk of her life, but also from a severe lack of self-confidance in her physical appearance! Cut her some slack!

Marrows anger is written just like Juggernaut's attempts to reform... a nice well-meaning writer makes them a permanent cast member of a book he's on for a few years... fleshes out their character and personality... gives them lots of positive strides... helps them get their problems under control... gets people behind them by showing their more vulnerable sides and their concern for their teammates...

Then that book gets cancelled... as all secondary X-Men titles inevitably do after a few years... and the characters return to limbo...

Then some other jerk brings them back a few months later for a 1-off appearance in some other story on HIS X-Book, and completely pisses on all the postive strides they made in their last book by returning them to "Grr! I'm mean! I hate you all and I ain't never gonna do no good ever again! It was all a mistake and I hate the world, because this writer needs me to be a villain for one story!" *Smash* *Punch* *Angry Face*

How come Emma gets a solid reformation that people don't mess with but people always have to be backsliding Marrow and Juggernaut!

LEAVE JUGGERNAUT AND MARROW ALONE!

(lol...)

I mostly agree Gilbo.

However, i also get a bit sick of villains reforming. It seems to be an ongoing story trick at Marvel, especially within the X-Men.

In the current Jean Grey School we have: Rogue, Gambit (although it was ret-conned villainous beginning), Rachel Grey, Frenzy, Toad & some kind of Krakoa descendant. The Utopian X-Men boasts Magneto, Namor, the White Queen, & Sebastian Shaw. Not to mention the attempts to turn Deadpool, Sabretooth, Mystique, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vanisher, Calisto etc . . . into heroes with varying degrees of success.

I'd be happier if someone like the Juggernaut stayed a villain, but sometimes had to begrudgingly work with the X-Men.

That said - Writers often do handle the side-switching reasonably well. I personally never cared for MArrow when she got soft. She was suddenly a lot less interesting to read. But this is, of course, just my opinion.

I'd be happier if someone like the Juggernaut stayed a villain, but sometimes had to begrudgingly work with the X-Men.

That said - Writers often do handle the side-switching reasonably well. I personally never cared for MArrow when she got soft. She was suddenly a lot less interesting to read. But this is, of course, just my opinion.

I too prefer Cain as a villain, more mercenary than murderous. I think he wants to reform on some level, cause he kinda likes some of the X-folks at this point. But he doesn't like the rules and obligations that come with trying to be righteous. Being' the "bad guy" is a whole lot easier, especially when yur the Juggernaut.

Marrow... her angry Morlock upbringing defined who she was as much as her powers. That harsh raising she received meant that any personal reversal she suffered meant she was right back to being dangerously angry. The instability in her powers that kept her from getting the general acceptance most Morlocks craved, And it was inevitable that she was going to eventually become a dangerous terrorist again. Of course since M-Day the question remains moot.

• 2 weeks later...

Zach, are you able to share the official names for the 'mates for this wave yet, assuming 'Drunken Hobo Thor' isn't the solicitation name? :unsure:

I did not get creative with this wave, sorry. Aside from Ant-Man II, they all get their standard codenames. I'll see if it's too late, but I'm pretty sure it is. I'll try to be more creative with Wave 47/14.

Zach, are you able to share the official names for the 'mates for this wave yet, assuming 'Drunken Hobo Thor' isn't the solicitation name? :unsure:

I did not get creative with this wave, sorry. Aside from Ant-Man II, they all get their standard codenames. I'll see if it's too late, but I'm pretty sure it is. I'll try to be more creative with Wave 47/14.

I'm actually fairly pumped for this wave.

Okay, back on topic: Dr. Druid. I was recently reminded of this little gem, and I wanted to make sure you all got to see it:

wca4-3.jpg

Ah, memories...

Black Knight and Falcon are so woefully overdue that it's past being unfunny and is funny again.

No worries, I just wasn't sure if there were unique names for these versions or not. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Okay, back on topic: Dr. Druid. I was recently reminded of this little gem, and I wanted to make sure you all got to see it:

wca4-3.jpg

Ah, memories...

Black Knight and Falcon are so woefully overdue that it's past being unfunny and is funny again.

Nah, it's still not funny.

Hee,hee I guess Druid's not a hit with the ladies. :P

Nah, it's still not funny.

Nope. Not at all. Dane would finish out the Avengers up to v1 #100, Falcon would go a long way to finishing up the roster up to #200. (past that there's a veritible membership explosion)

Hee,hee I guess Druid's not a hit with the ladies. :P

Druid's not that popular with anyone, really. Speaking from experience, balding with a pot belly is never a big draw with the ladies. Druid did have an undead ghost girlfriend for a while. Which sounds a lot like "my girlfriend I met at on vacation who lives out of state."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These are the only two I have so far, but if you'll let me, I'll gladly throw Hulk and Iron Man propaganda at you as well.

Hey Zach, anymore pics that you can share of the others in this wave IE Thor with his swinging hammer, Iron Man etc

These are the only two I have so far, but if you'll let me, I'll gladly throw Hulk and Iron Man propaganda at you as well.

Hey Zach, anymore pics that you can share of the others in this wave IE Thor with his swinging hammer, Iron Man etc

I'll see if I can get my hands on a set...

I just checked, and the list was updated today, and these are officially "on the water", which usually puts them at 3 weeks out.

Pym and Lang on the ocean.