UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Secret Wars Box Set

drgnrbrn316

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the bad news is that the poll is now off the front page of the AA site, and almost off the first page of the blog. You would think they would have a link to the poll embedded somewhere on the front page. Anyway, I doubt we'll see too many more votes; Storm and CM are almost definite at this point, with Spidey, MM and the Beyonder battling for the last two spots.

With it being off the main page etc that is to our advantage. Now the passing fanboy wont see it and gush for Spidey. It would be now that we get the ppl that we know family etc and get them to vote MM or Beyonder to push Spidey down some more.

I'm thinking we should petition to get all 10 of these figures (although we don't really need another Spider-Woman). Also, am I the only one who would love more clear-colored figures? Apparently, due to the low percentages for "energy" forms of Captain Marvel or the Beyonder. Maybe we could get a box set of just clear-colored characters, such as Astral Projection Dr. Strange and "Energy" Wonder Man.

Finally, a note to anyone yet to vote for their pick. Yes, that Spider-Man does look cool, but do we really need it made for THIS boxset? Knowing DSTs love for Spider-Man, we're bound to get a similar version sooner or later. Why not vote for someone we wouldn't get made otherwise?

Yeah but if people start voting up Beyonder because they think the Spider-Man votes will taper off, and then the votes don't taper off, they might just end up knocking Molecule Man back out of the set. There *is* still a big link to the poll on the DST front page, which is where people buying new Minimates in the next couple of weeks will be directed by that poster they include.

I wish people would just let actual fans vote how they want, rather than voting multiple times (especially after the posts accusing DST of rigging the vote?! how is us doing it any better?) or getting family members to do it, etc -- it all defeats the purpose of this whole thing. Right now we have a great 4-pack, why not just leave it alone...

Anyway, not to get too Debbie Downer on everyone -- all just my opinion, obviously ;)

Well Battlecat, what you post is similar to the great debate over how to best structure a political system. Think of this--would you really want a "pure," majority-rules democracy in your neck of the woods? Or, despite the flaws of politicians, should those best suited to make the decisions be the ones in charge? I think the argument could be made that we, the nation of the Minimate Multiverse, due to our collective knowledge of and interest in Minimates, along with our vastly superior good looks, good judgment, and good taste relative to other web forums, are really the only individuals who have the moral right to make such decisions. I adhere to the belief that "the masses are asses," and apart from being undeserving of the privilege of making such an important decision as to which Minimates should or should not be released, the "general public" most likely do not really know: a ) what they want; or b ) how best to get what they want. If we have to employ "questionable" means to achieve the end of a superior box set (which will ultimately benefit everyone), then perhaps we can "declare a national emergency," and do away with any semblance of a true "democratic" election of Minimates for the time being.

Perhaps, when there is a less important box set being released, or when the public are better informed about the availability of Spidermen Minimates, and the importance of Beyonder to a Secret Wars set, then we can act more "ideally."

Hmm, well I don't really disagree with many of the things in your post (except the importance of this version of Beyonder to the set, or place in this poll at all really, but I've already made my case for that) -- but ultimately I guess I don't think my vote is any more important or "right" than that of the 8 year old (or 30 year old) that wants a(nother) Spidey. So I guess I am with the ass-masses on this one. :lol: Once you (not you K, you know, "you") start saying that "my vote is more important because I'm a bigger fan", well, like I said, it's not the point of this poll. If it was, DST would've just done the poll through our board. We are clearly the biggest fans, and we are, after all, very good-looking.

BUT there are several well-informed, good-looking board members who have admitted to voting Spidey (and surely others who haven't bothered to post about it), and by rigging the votes you (again, not you you) are taking away from their "rights" in this system.

Saying "this is too important for democracy", well, that just rings a little too Jeb Bush for me (since we're referencing political systems). I'm sure people who rig political votes don't believe it's malicious, they believe it has to be done because of the whole mass/ass thing.

Also, I think the general public do "know what they want" and it's Spideys On Parade. I'm not denying DST make them because Chuck loves them, I'm just saying that from what we've been told they also sell a lot more than anything else. This is why I said earlier that it's crazy to think DST would rig their own poll -- they don't need to. People love Spideys.

**Disclaimer: all expressions of love for Spidey in this post are not the opinions of the author, who'd rather have Spiderwoman or Doom. Also, everything I say, as always, should be taken with a grain of salt, or a beer. Unless you're one of those Spidey-voting 8 year olds. Don't drink, kids!**

Also, I think the general public do "know what they want" and it's Spideys On Parade.

Who doesn't love a Spiderman parade? I wish all parades were celebrations of Spidey.

**Disclaimer: all expressions of love for Spidey in this post are not the opinions of the author, who'd rather have Spiderwoman or Doom. Also, everything I say, as always, should be taken with a grain of salt, or a beer. Unless you're one of those Spidey-voting 8 year olds. Don't drink, kids!**

I like beer. In fact, I'm typing as I drink! It's Friday!

I have been collecting mates since i saw the spidey and green goblin pack a very long time ago and I've grown to hate spidey mates just because there has been about a billion variants made. The fact of the matter is why take a spider man (which will most likely eventually be made) over molecule man, etc.

:spidey::glare:

So, uh....when does the poll end, I wonder? I'm anxious for DST to get crackin' on this set :D

i would really like Spider Woman to be included in this set. i'd rather spend about 17 bucks and get her, plus 3 other mates (even if one is Spider Man) than pay 17 bucks on Ebay just for the original.

Captain Marvel i'd like just to add to my Avengers team.

Storm, though the look is classic, i'd prefer a more current look. either 90s era, or maybe even something a little newer. i think the look is a little too dated to fit in with the rest of my X-Men. i don't put all of my mates out. for instance, i had Namor from the Defenders set, but when i got the Invaders set, Defenders Namor went in a box with New Avengers Luke Cage (i prefer my Power Man mate), all the Cyclops' prior to Astonishing, and every other mate i have more than one of. so i'm up in the air of the Storm. hell, throw her in there!

those are the only 3 i really care about, though. i don't need another Doom. i don't care about Molecule Man, or Ben Grimm, or any of the others. i wish they woulda but Titania, Kang, Lizard or the Enchantress in there instead!

Shame there's no Klaw on the list too. Yet another person (along with Kang, Lizard, Enchantress, Titania and the Wrecking Crew) that need to be made. Along with the NEW characters shown in this tempting tease, they'd really add some much needed diversity to the minimate line from Marvel.

Man, just pack that Spidey and Spider-Woman with two other re-do's so the people who want those can get 'em. I'm all for people being able to get what they want... but I wish they'd be able to do it AS WELL AS relase the characters that have yet to be made.

BUT there are several well-informed, good-looking board members who have admitted to voting Spidey (and surely others who haven't bothered to post about it), [blah blah...]

Sorry to correct you here my beloved battlecat, but the definition of "good-looking" actually reads:

"good-looking" (adj.): Of a pleasing or attractive appearance; handsome. Attribut which ontologically belongs to MMMV members who never vote on any Spiderman Minimate in any possible poll.

**** Disclaimer: This post contains explicit irony and sarcasm. If you don't get it, he doesn't love you. ****

Ok. First off, I voted for Molecule Man and I'm as sick as the next board member of Spidey-Mates. I'm not a big Spidey fan at all. However, as much as I bitch that I don't have the room to display all of my mates, my Spideys are all on display and my X-men are not. I just realized that and that must say something about this whole argument. That being said, that particular Spidey represents the biggest development in Secret Wars. If you want to go by importance to the story Spidey should be in the set. So should characters like Doom, Iron Man with "modified" armor, Hulk with a crutch, Spider-Woman, Ben Grimm, Claw, and Molecule Man. Lets not forget Volcana and Titania. These characters all underwent considerable development in Secret Wars. Some of these may already be in the set. The one character that is being considered that should not be included is The Beyonder. He was never seen in Secret Wars. It wasn't until years later in the truly inferior Secret Wars II that he showed up to introduce us to the unnecessary crossover. I am in the camp that believes that this particular Spidey will show up sooner or later but if we get him in the box set we shouldn't be too upset. He belongs there. Hey a Wasp/Magneto 2-Pack would be really cool. It could come with a comb! There's a story line that just got dropped huh?

Thing is - and I do suggest that the wise brother Karamazov actually did try to accentuate this in his witty and most charming style - there is no possibility to take up a superior and objective stance on that whole poll thing. Depending on what's your attitude towards this Minimates set might be, you do have ways to justify your vote; one particular figure might be cooler looking, be more important to the original storyline, is previously unreleased, will offer brilliant parts as custom fodder or even just got more of your love: you vote on it, so you are absolutely right. That's it. There is no discussion about that aside from pure fanboy-debate and therefore it's burlesque not reason that matters. And providing the space for such a fanboyish and -girlish thing is the reason why I do fracking L.O.V.E. this place!

And for the record: I voted on Molecule Man. AND Beyonder. Twice. I'm an unethical bitch with the mission to prevent you from another Spidey 'mate and you may h♥te me for that. :P

BUT there are several well-informed, good-looking board members who have admitted to voting Spidey (and surely others who haven't bothered to post about it), [blah blah...]

Did you just condense my entire post into "blah blah..."?!? Dude, just because it's true, doesn't mean you have to point it out... :P

there is no possibility to take up a superior and objective stance on that whole poll thing. Depending on what's your attitude towards this Minimates set might be, you do have ways to justify your vote (...) you vote on it, so you are absolutely right. That's it.

Putting aside that you *can* take an objective stance against voting Beyonder, since he's not in Secret Wars (which is not to say I'm not also subjectively against him, since I think he looks like a d-bag all dressed up like Michael Jackson... blah blah blah), I agree. Everyone's vote is "right", and because of this should be considered equal. But when you vote 4 times, you're cancelling out 3 other people's votes -- saying your vote is 4 times more "right" basically. I guess that's my problem with it... but OH WELL :lol: Not much I can do about it.

My other (non "ethical" or whatever) reasons for being against cheating, are that DST will be less likely to try something like this again if they see it happening, and also that if you get the Spidey fans in a rigging-race, it may end up knocking out even clear vote leaders like Storm. Which would suck. But... oh well. <_<

Anyway, I'll try and leave it at that (since I'm sick of coming across like some preachy moral crusader, especially over an online fan poll!)... I'm going to go find a Spider-man party, so I can cheer up!

**Disclaimer thingy, grain of salt, have some beer, vote Molecule Man, etc etc etc**

Edited by battlecat

Did you just condense my entire post into "blah blah..."?!? Dude, just because it's true, doesn't mean you have to point it out...

No, that was just ment to point out the aspect I wanted to crush in its entity. :P

Putting aside that you *can* take an objective stance against voting Beyonder, since he's not in Secret Wars [ed.: more interesting thoughts were respectfully cut here. ;)]

I don't think so. See, that was one of the initial thoughts I tried to point out above. Of course, if you say "authenticity to the original story" is the guideline to vote on that poll, you're perspective seems to be objective and therefore right. Beyonder in that incarnation doesn't fit in that box. But, since this is an open poll to everybody, what's up with someone who actually never read Secret Wars and has absolutely no idea what it's all about, but is willing to vote? He (or she) might think that an appropriate perspective, an objective position is "which of those characters does look most authentic compared to the pics I googled"? Well, that is a very reasonable position and might claim to be the most adequate (and therefore objective) one at all, so comparing the control art to this googled pic, I'd say let the Beyonder be in that box! You know what I mean?

But when you vote 4 times, you're cancelling out 3 other people's votes -- saying your vote is 4 times more "right" basically.

You are right, man! But what if I'm saying that isn't cheeting in a narrow sense, since DST provided the opportunity to vote several times, if you shoulder the effort to go out and find other computers to vote? I guess cheeting starts when you try to tunnel (is that the right expression?) or even hack the website and make clear that there will be four bond Spidey's in the box. :ohmy:

Oh, and no offence battlecat, those are just thoughts that came to mind and aren't ment to harm your feelings. (Let me hear your roar, o' mighty battlecat :P )

Putting aside that you *can* take an objective stance against voting Beyonder, since he's not in Secret Wars [ed.: more interesting thoughts were respectfully cut here. ;)]

I don't think so. [...stuff...] You know what I mean?

I do know what you mean, and you're totally right. I should've said DST including Beyonder in the poll was objectively wrong, not the fans voting for him as such... there are rationalizations, like being a really big Michael Jackson fan. ;)

Oh, and no offence battlecat,

None taken, or, hopefully, given! Like I said, I'll try to shut up about it now, though that always proves difficult! :lol:

Has anyone thought that there might be another Secret Wars set planned for this year (it is the anniversary year) and that's why characters like Klaw and Lizard weren't on there?

I'm hoping Lizard was off the table because of an upcoming Spidey villains set or wave.... well, I can dream.