UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 62 is coming.....

Nessex

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem is that when we do eventually get classic characters, there seems to be a serious X-bias, which sucks if your someone whose enjoyment of the X-Books ends in the mid-80s. I'm glad people like 60, but I couldn't care less about the Lee-costumes, and I wasn't thrilled to see that Banshee, one of the X-Men I've actually wanted for quite some time, was stuck in a costume I don't care about.

I do want classic Avengers. The last proper classic Avengers release was back in 2012, and there are some major gaps in my collection. We have complete X-teams from multiple eras, while the only complete Avengers teams we have are the first appearance team and the New Avengers. That doesn't seem right to me.

It certainly feels like when it's time to weigh the options for classic versions there's a heavy thumb on the scale towards certain characters.

This is probably a 1/8 wave for me. I'll be happy to update Hobgoblin but the rest are pretty easy to pass on, though I guess the Red Skull parts from Red Onslaught could be useful and when I'm less tired of X-Men Apocalypse seems worthwhile as an update. The designs look good though except for Iron Man. I know that armor isn't bulky but it seems really lacking without something extra.

A "complete" Avengers team is a highly fluid thing.

I'd argue that the same can be said of a complete X-Men team. It just seems to me that there's more effort being put into getting a complete version of what ever X-Team than there is any of the Avengers teams.

At the end of the day, you can't please everyone, so I guess I'm just that guy right now.

Yeah, I totally agree glantern, but I guess that comes back to what you said earlier about the current target audience. Classic avengers are at the top of my wants list too (especially the '70s ones that Zach didn't mention like mantis, swordsman, hellcat, moondragon etc) along with classic thor, inhumans, gotg and unmade spidey villains and for a long time DST really hit the mark for me.

However, my wishlist has hardly had anything knocked off it since wave 50 and the strange tales boxset, and I've accepted over the last couple of years that the policy has moved more towards movies and modern looks - along with a good sprinkling of xmen lol. Clearly that must be the stuff that sells so fair enough. Certainly if that's what keeps the line going then it's worth it (and I've reluctantly accepted that DST are there to make a profit rather than be my personal minimate manufacturers!) though it would be nice to see a higher proportion of new classic characters mixed in, especially in specialty waves which seem to be the only area that's possible now.

Having said all that, I emphasise again, that the quality of this wave, as with all recent releases looks great and I also fully understand that it's impossible to please everybody.

Edited by stegron01

Yay comic mates!

I have the original Hobby but the new one is cool especially with a Glider. Same Glider as Green Gob or new one? I dont actually mind but Hobs Glider is slight different usually.

Even though Axis hasn't enthralled me I'll happily take these.

We'll see what people think of the TRU assortments going forward. Very curious.

I THINK the main reason we haven't been leaning on comic Avengers is, ironically, because there are so many movie Avengers assortments -- IM, Cap, Thor, Avengers -- and the X-Men get less. Not that we want to make more Movie Mates, but because the Movie Mates fill the Avengers need. But I could be wrong.

I don't know if DSTChuck subscribes to the idea that movie hype drives comic figure sales, but write in to Ask DST and ask where the Comic Avengers are at. It's entirely possible he's working off of past sales data, which he has all of. Marvel Series 42 was a Thor/Cap wave, 44 was a Perez Avengers wave, 54 was a Cap wave.

We'll see what people think of the TRU assortments going forward. Very curious.

As long as they're not too hard to find.. Still having difficulty tracking down 19. And I'm sure others are as well.

I'm not sure why folks are so disappointed about getting looks that won't be around forever. Yeah - Falcap is not permanent. But very few costumes are.

Falcap is a great design: he's bright and toyetic. And when you hear people asking for looks that appeared for even shorter periods (Hydro-Iron Man, WereCap & Frankencastle), it's hard to take criticism about minimates of new costume designs very seriously.

It's bright, whether it's a great design is certainly debatable. And it carries some story baggage with it. It should be fairly easy to understand why people wouldn't like it.

As for those other variants, I think practically every discussion assumes we're going to get more versions of those characters so people are looking for something a little crazy to break the monotony. No one thinks Cap Wolf is important, but if I have to buy yet another Cap minimate at least it gives me something unique with some nostalgia value.

I meant negative feelings surrounding the plot that led to the version of the character (old Steve, etc), plus a general negativity towards current Marvel and their gimmicks, and the feeling that it's something of a rehashing of a recent, better story. Not that everyone would share those feelings but I think more than a few do. I don't think he carries any more of a continuity burden than most characters.

Damn, such a busy day. Didn't even get to look at these until about 4 PM, and am just now finding the time to comment. So...

My sentiments pretty much echo everyone else, I guess. Hobgoblin's amazing, the early favorite for Minimate of the Year (and you should go vote for last year's best Minimate if you haven't yet!). Apocalypse is also a great redo. Falcon's really well done. Yadda yadda.

Of course you know I agree with pretty much everything Glantern said, though I'm more chuffed by all these comic X-Men 'mates then I am the modern stuff. Frankly, I sympathize with you guys here, Zach. You're in a really tough position of wanting to stay current, but also not wanting to make sets that have no lasting value (*coughFearItselfcough*). It's not your fault that Marvel is like a hyperactive toddler these days. While you can say that you think the white Iron Man armor is going to be around for awhile... c'mon. We know that's not true. Because the ink isn't even dry on this "event" and Marvel's already moved on to the next one. And you know that Iron Man's going to be relaunched, and redesigned, and that one's going to be around for awhile, oh sure, you betcha... until it's time for 2016's "event".

Stunts and gimmicks. That's all they know how to do anymore.

Anyway, I think we can all agree... "Kluh" is the fucking dumbest idea ever. EVER. If you told me a five year old came up with that name, I'd totally believe you.

Edited by hellpop