UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Charitymates 5: Fighting for Japan

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry you felt mine and Mattalica's entries for a Charity event weren't original enough...but technically they weren't copyrighted characters.

You know Rob Liefeld tried that same logic on Marvel with "the Fighting American", they saw through his "technically he's not Captain America ;)"

You called it "the SyNISTeR 6.0" and had Norman Osborn (I'm sorry Norbert) standing next to it, it was designed to terminate Spiders, and each of it's weapons is named after a Spider-man villain (except for the 'Flame Thrower, Gattling Gun, and Missile launcher.'

My post wasn't meant to put down you or Matt, both your customs were amazing. But c'mon, you can say "technically weren't copyrighted" but if you expect me to believe it was in no way meant to HEAVILY evoke a copyrighted character that's silly. My post was meant to ask why you couldn't just call it "the Sinister 6.0" made by NorMAN Osborn to hunt Spider-man with weapons based on Spider-man's enemies. Would your genius parts reuse have been lessened if you said "Scorpion's stingers" instead of "S.C.O.R.P.I.O.N."? No, it's still terrific. Does the non-Spiderman backstory add to the custom? I'm sorry to say, but no... I honestly don't think whoever bought it is pretending it hunts Spiders in the year 2046, it's probably a Spider-Slayer that hunts Spider-man.

I just think if we're going to skirt the rule so blatantly we should do anyway with it. If someone wants to make a copyrighted character they should allowed to, and if someone wants to tie their backstory into a copyright character they should be able to, without everyone having to poke each other in the ribs and be all "I see what ya did there you made some well done M.Bison, Vega, Balrog, and Sagat customs people would like to own... but you called them the bosses from 'Boulevard Brawler 2' and said their names were B.Miceon, The Mighty Claw-Mask, Gandolf, and Saget so clearly they're not the Sf2 Bosses and for whatever reason that makes them not copyrighted!"

Please do us a favor and not wait so long to tear into our Customs for CharityMates 5, since you obviously held onto this animosity for almost a year.

The problem with doing copyrighted characters is that some copyright holders are extremely strict about their licenses. For example, any Gears of War customs on ebay tend to get shut down immediately. I would hate to see that happen with any of our Charitymates auctions, so please refrain from using copyrighted characters. The customs entered last time around that were inspired by copyrighted characters is a completely different story, and are perfectly fine.

well,lets start off with a bang!

Cain:

mmmvffj.jpg

A Robot created by an Evil scientist, Cain was going to be entered in the Tournament of Fighters in order to destroy every skilled fighter on Earth,but during one of Cain's Practice sessions,he developed a mind of his own, and knowing the difference of right and wrong, Cain crippled his mad-man creator and ran away from his past and joined The Tournament of Fighters, and if he comes out as champion,his one wish shall be granted...To be Human,not Machine.

J.C The Demon Greaser

dscf1354.jpg

J.C was a petty thief in the early 50's,but when he stole from a traveling gypsy,which turned out to be an evil demon named Pazuzu, he was cursed with his current demonic form.While living his life in solitude,J.C realized the error of his ways....but when he heard of The Tournament of Fighters and how it can grant him anything he desired,only one thing crossed J.C's mind...and it was revenge....

(BTW, can the idea of the winner getting anything they desired be apart of the Tournament? just wondering)

Edited by BrobotC

Nice job with the logo,Luke.

I think it'll look awesome on the player select screen.

BTW I was wondering If I should still continue to work on the player select screen or if your are editing it? Other than that, I can't wait to see the press releases. ^^

Edited by A.J.V.

Thanks guys!

BTW I was wondering If I should still continue to work on the player select screen or if your are editing it? Other than that, I can't wait to see the press releases. ^^

If you don't mind, I will let you handle that part of it. :)