UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Charitymates 5: Fighting for Japan

Maybe opening it up to anything anime-inspired (excluding hentai :P ) is a better idea.

I think anime is going down a bad, possibly offensive road.

"Anime" isn't an art style, it's the animation out put of an entire nation. It'd be like calling everything as varied as a Strawberry Shortcake to Aqua Teen Hunger Force to Thundercats to Rango "Americanimation" and expecting a cohesive theme to emerge from it.

I want to know some ideas of what people think "anime" entails exactly, because if it's just "a school girl with extra small skirt, extra big sparkly eyes and tits, and a HUGE gun/sword/gun-sword" or "funky robot who's like pink and has wings and crap" or "copyright infringing ideas like 'Mash the Glampede' and 'Sailor June'" it's kind of offensive.

PLUS what if we *HATE* anime but want to take part, that's sort of limiting.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think that would be limiting at all, you just need to have a big enough imagination.

some ideas for ninja/samourai stuff:

alien ninjas

robot ninjas

animal ninjas

ninjas who control elements

futuristic ninjas

monster ninjas

angelic ninjas

demonic ninjas

......i could go on forever :P

basically what im saying is im still in even if its limited to ninja/samourai

Maybe opening it up to anything anime-inspired (excluding hentai :P ) is a better idea.

I think anime is going down a bad, possibly offensive road.

"Anime" isn't an art style, it's the animation out put of an entire nation. It'd be like calling everything as varied as a Strawberry Shortcake to Aqua Teen Hunger Force to Thundercats to Rango "Americanimation" and expecting a cohesive theme to emerge from it.

I want to know some ideas of what people think "anime" entails exactly, because if it's just "a school girl with extra small skirt, extra big sparkly eyes and tits, and a HUGE gun/sword/gun-sword" or "funky robot who's like pink and has wings and crap" or "copyright infringing ideas like 'Mash the Glampede' and 'Sailor June'" it's kind of offensive.

PLUS what if we *HATE* anime but want to take part, that's sort of limiting.

I couldn't agree more ,some of the stuff that comes out of Japan in the name of anime is filth plain & simple whatever colour you paint it.

I couldn't agree more ,some of the stuff that comes out of Japan in the name of anime is filth plain & simple whatever colour you paint it.

Yes, but we aren't talking about Kubricks here.

Yes, but we aren't talking about Kubricks here.

:D I am however serious ,I don't want to kick anybody when they're down but there is something not quite right about certain aspects of Japanese culture .

...im gonna try and steer this back on topic.

maybe we could do sea-life related customs:

pirates

mermaids

sailors

sea monsters

fish people

or we could go into elements and everybody makes their own god that controls a certain element/emotion/trait:

the god of flight

the god of machinery

the god of surprise

What if you broaden the theme from ninjas to world warriors? Cowboys vs. Ninjas vs. Vikings vs. Savages etc.

I was thinking something along the same lines.. Sorta army builders from various eras/cultures.. spartans, samurai, ninja, african tribesmen, knights, vikings, scots (go men in kilts!), native americans, cowboys, mayans, aboriginal australians, maybe even cavemen or egyptian guards or something.. shrug

What if you broaden the theme from ninjas to world warriors? Cowboys vs. Ninjas vs. Vikings vs. Savages etc.

I was thinking something along the same lines.. Sorta army builders from various eras/cultures.. spartans, samurai, ninja, african tribesmen, knights, vikings, scots (go men in kilts!), native americans, cowboys, mayans, aboriginal australians, maybe even cavemen or egyptian guards or something.. shrug

Kind of reminds me of this show.

I still think everybody doing their own take on a made-up ninja clan would be unique and fun. Everybody would just have to come up with an interesting angle. There are limitless possibilities.

Definitely something that embraces the culture and heritage of Japan. I'm sure there's something to pull from there.

Limiting it to just ninjas though does seem to hamper creativity somewhat. I imagine most people just think of the traditional black ninja without much else to work with.

Just look at Luke's ninja pack. Demon ninja, ice ninja etc. you could also pull influence from tons of properties like Snake Eyes (Commando Ninja), Modern Ninja (Ninja Gaiden), etc.

I've already got two ninja ideas so let's get this show on the road :P

If were going to be basing this charitymates on japanese cultures,why not have the theme be giant monsters or kaiju? It could have a wider variety than ninjas and at the same time be cooler,everyone can have there own original giant monster minimate design,while ninjas would all look the same......cmon someone has to agree with me on this!

Maybe I am wrong in thinking it would be too limiting. Is there anyone who would not participate if the theme was limited to ninja/samurai?

Me,mainly for my post above

i agree that kaiju would be cool, though i think its untrue to say ninjas would look all the same.

you can literally do anything with a ninja. you can make a robot ninja, a ninja with bat wings and horns, one thats been mutated by chemicals and has a giant claw arm, one thats from the future and looks like something from tron. one that is half animal half human. one thats an entirly differant species. one thats a spirit and has only a ghostly form....the options are never ending.

i for one would be doing a steampunk ninja

If were going to be basing this charitymates on japanese cultures,why not have the theme be giant monsters or kaiju?

Because Kaiju destroy cities and right now, Japan is destroyed. The idea of seeing buildings get toppled, even if it's by a man in a rubber suit, is A LOT less charming and fun when your loved ones are missing in piles of rubble and you're not sure if they're still alive or not.

Plus, Kaiju really isn't "Japanese culture" it's what Westerns think when they think of Japan, it'd be like if an American city lay in shambles so someone decided to make Fast Food Mascots to help, since "Eating fatty foods is all we know about American culture"

godzilla has saved earth many times....doesnt that count for anything? id be onboard for this, aslong as we dont have to make the minimate actually giant, just the idea of what your monster would look like.

Ninjas will do not all look the same for one. Also, skill comes into effect. Not everyone has the skill/sculpting to make a unique monster. Someone could use parts from ghostbusters per say, but that's just a repainted ghostbuster figure. With ninjas, you can make something totally unique within any skill limit.

I also agree with baghead again, I feel giant monsters would be in bad taste.