UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Labs

Ivan

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you guys. I'm glad you like them as much as I do. This was another project I was smiling all the way through. A lot of fun all around.

I've definitely got more plans for this skeleton. I should have new posts on the site Tuesday and Thursday next week. Probably not as cool as this initial stuff, but you've got to lead strong, right? :)

Hey Ivan, I'm blown away at these images! Is there a modifier or something you use in blender to get the xray effect? or was this done in another program?

edit.... I don't suppose you'd be willing to do a skull and crossbones image, would you? pretty please

Edited by Nervous

I had numerous MRI scans last month ....not pleasant......& for each entire 20-30 minutes sessions I managed to take my mind off of the claustrophobic reality by thinking about .....you've guessed it.....Minimates my favourites, what lines I'd like,what I'm missing what I'm hunting blah blah blah..

A bit sad ? Maybe... but it worked for me .

Little did I know that Ivan was hacking my hospital notes biggrin.png

Make no bones about it...Ivan is one clever feller.

Hey Ivan, I'm blown away at these images! Is there a modifier or something you use in blender to get the xray effect? or was this done in another program?

edit.... I don't suppose you'd be willing to do a skull and crossbones image, would you? pretty please

This is all Blender. But it uses the Cycles Render engine instead of the Blender engine. With that you've got a lot more control over the rendering settings. It's also a ton more complicated. Here's the material node I used for the x-ray bones. (click to enlarge)

140115_nodeShaderSm.png

I didn't come up with that myself. I took the basics from a forum post and tweaked some of the values to get the look I wanted. It's like learning Blender materials all over again.

I didn't realize it until BHM brought it up but the images do look more like MRIs than X-Rays. Thankfully I don't have much experience with either. Apart from the stealing medical records part...

Lobsterman, I'm not sure what you're looking for. A scaled image to print at Minimate size? Or something more complicated? Maybe I'm just tired and confused. smile.png

Nervous, I actually worked on a skull & crossbones image six years ago, but the output wasn't great.

070704_jr1.jpg

I like to think I've improved... smile.png

140116_crossbones.jpg

Obviously there's a bit of bone stretching to get the proportions right. I just assume they came from a three incher. smile.png

I had numerous MRI scans last month ....not pleasant......& for each entire 20-30 minutes sessions I managed to take my mind off of the claustrophobic reality by thinking about .....you've guessed it.....Minimates my favourites, what lines I'd like,what I'm missing what I'm hunting blah blah blah..

A bit sad ? Maybe... but it worked for me .

Little did I know that Ivan was hacking my hospital notes biggrin.png

Make no bones about it...Ivan is one clever feller.

I do that when I can't sleep sometimes. I also will think about custom projects I'd like to do, which unfortunately sometimes has the side effect of me stumbling upon a great idea, and then I can't sleep until I get out of bed and start putting the damn thing together.

Sorry to hear about the MRIs. I had one a few years ago when I broke my arm, and it does suck.

• 1 month later...

Of my many character flaws, one of the most frustrating is my inability (unwillingness?) to finish a project. So...

New Project Time!

140223_bridgeStart.jpg

Since an Enterprise-D vehicle with removable captain's chair seemed unlikely to see release, I made my own captains chair. Then I thought, "Why not do the whole damn bridge?" Then, "Oh, I could do the observation lounge and the ready room too." "Engineering, gotta do engineering with a light up warp core." "Shuttlecraft!" "Runabouts!" "Oh hell, DS9 promenade!"

Is AdderAll available OTC?