UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Direct dumps Blammoids?

Jatta Pake

I'm hearing reports that DC Direct has dumped their replacement for DC Minimates, the in-house created stylized Blammoids figures.

Can anyone confirm?

We need a Violet Lantern to join DCD Georg and DST Chuck so they can birth more DC Minimates.

i sure hope so. maybe DST will be in control this time. we need Watchmen!!!!! :D

God yes on this one. I'd like to see classic and movie. But I'll settle for classic. With every single character. Even that newsstand guy. And The Captain from Tales of the Black Freighter.

I reckon Mattel's tube-thingies are gonna replace these in the weird mini-sized, square-ish, hyper-stylized toy-type product line.

If you saw any you'd have to settle for movie. Alan Moore will never allow for comic based Watchmen product of any kind.

They're close enough. As for being a hack, Alan Moore is far from that. Best comic writer, possibly ever.

I reckon Mattel's tube-thingies are gonna replace these in the weird mini-sized, square-ish, hyper-stylized toy-type product line.

If you saw any you'd have to settle for movie. Alan Moore will never allow for comic based Watchmen product of any kind.

They're close enough. As for being a hack, Alan Moore is far from that. Best comic writer, possibly ever.

If he's such a great writer, then why doesn't he love his work enough for there to be merchandise? If he was such a great writer he would spread the love.

Edited by Dio

I guess I don't see the relationship between being a good writer and being a guy who likes to pimp his goods or see his work transformed into toys and t-shirts, but maybe that's just me.

But I do recall Moore saying in an interview that he doesn't give a crap what DC does with that license. He wrote the story and was done with it. He didn't see the point of making the movie, and wouldn't watch it, but didn't really care that it was being made, for instance. If that is the case, I'm not sure why he would care so much if toys are or aren't made.

Edited by karamazov80

If he's such a great writer, then why doesn't he love his work enough for there to be merchandise? If he was such a great writer he would spread the love.

Because he feels that DC has so abused him over the years on Watchmen that he no longer has any feelings for the book. He doesn't even have a copy in his house anymore. Read this:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/07/alan-moore-watchmen

And it's not a question of "allow". DC owns the characters. Paul Levitz, the former publisher, wouldn't do anything with the characters without Moore's okay. Now that he's gone, it's open season. You can read more about this on my blog, if you really want:

http://dinosaursinf14s.blogspot.com/2010/0...ou-go-hrrm.html

No, and not at all, so. . .why are we talking about Watchmen again? They couldn't even sell as Hot Toys, by the way, and the movie was not a great success. So as great as the comic was, I think comic fans may over-estimate the degree to which there could be popular support for any kind of Watchmen collectible.

Anyway. . .yeah, good riddance to Blammoid rubbish, IMO.

So, the big question should be, would Blammoids have worked if they had done Watchmen? And how much would that have ticked off Alan Moore?

He seems like the kinda guy does'nt enjoy his own work. Another artist like that has slipped my mind. But hopefully he'd prefer minimates to Blammiods. I certainly would.

I know the chance for DC Mates to return a pretty slim, but if it falls though. I dont think mates will need the license. I mean they seem do be doing fine, if not better without it. However i would Also LOVE to see a Batman,"Hush", boxset. Maybe if DC mates return they'll be sold at target. I just hope its boxsets and not full waves. Then they'd almost centainly be easily found.

Somewhere deep down, i can tell there wont really be DC Mates ever again. I look at lego Batman as an exqmple. They told pretty well, but outta nowhere they just dissapeared. But all we can do is hope... And boy will we hope.

Edited by link 46

No, and not at all, so. . .why are we talking about Watchmen again? They couldn't even sell as Hot Toys, by the way, and the movie was not a great success. So as great as the comic was, I think comic fans may over-estimate the degree to which there could be popular support for any kind of Watchmen collectible.

Anyway. . .yeah, good riddance to Blammoid rubbish, IMO.

The book was a huge success last year, though. It sold, literally, a MILLION copies. In one year alone. I definitely think that collectibles tied to the comic and not the movie would do well, because there's been a lack of things for so long Watchmen fans would probably buy anything. Similar to Calvin and Hobbes, I think. I'm not saying that they'd set any kind of sales records, but they'd hold their own.

Agreed about Blammoids. I feel bad for the retailers that bought these things.

The failure of Blammoids is a good thing for DC MiniMates fans IMHO. These were DCD's attempt to replace the market for MiniMates even though they were kind of a cross with the vinyl craze and block figures. Basically, block figures made of vinyl at the vinyl price.

The Mattel Action League figures are DC's version of SuperHero Squad.

The new Mezco Mez-Its are DC's version of Mighty Muggs/vinyl figures.

Since Lego still isn't doing Batman, I think that leaves the door open for DC MiniMates. Ok, a crack in the door, but still open... ;)

I hoped that with TRU offering MiniMates (Marvel/BSG/Ghostbusters) and DC Direct product, there might be interest in DC MiniMates. I think if TRU asked, both DST and DCD would work to bring them back.

I wonder if anyone has the building block/block figure license for the Green Lantern movie...

I think if TRU asked, both DST and DCD would work to bring them back.

Absolutely correct.

I've said it before: Begging the manufacturer can be like preaching to the choir. They want to sell product, too. What people tend to forget is that most manufacturers don't sell to consumers; they sell to retailers. Any begging should be directed at retailers like TRU. When they ask for product, manufacturers and licensors will bend over backward to make it happen.

I think if TRU asked, both DST and DCD would work to bring them back.

Absolutely correct.

I've said it before: Begging the manufacturer can be like preaching to the choir. They want to sell product, too. What people tend to forget is that most manufacturers don't sell to consumers; they sell to retailers. Any begging should be directed at retailers like TRU. When they ask for product, manufacturers and licensors will bend over backward to make it happen.

When I spoke with Georg, I mentioned Minimates' apparent success at TRU. He dismissed the notion, saying he couldn't sell through Toys R Us. When I mentioned the DC Direct figures I'd seen there before (Justice, Watchmen), he kind of waved it off, saying those were a "different situation."

I will say, though, that the response I got regarding DC mates was ever-so-slightly more encouraging than previous years. I spoke with three different people at DCD, including Georg, and all three recognized there was a demand, and seemed to hint at the possibility for revisiting them. In the past, it's been a flat "no," but this year, the door seemed to be open a crack.

When I spoke with Georg, I mentioned Minimates' apparent success at TRU. He dismissed the notion, saying he couldn't sell through Toys R Us. When I mentioned the DC Direct figures I'd seen there before (Justice, Watchmen), he kind of waved it off, saying those were a "different situation."

I will say, though, that the response I got regarding DC mates was ever-so-slightly more encouraging than previous years. I spoke with three different people at DCD, including Georg, and all three recognized there was a demand, and seemed to hint at the possibility for revisiting them. In the past, it's been a flat "no," but this year, the door seemed to be open a crack.

Georg always seemed a bit of a prick at the conventions, but he's the one in power and the go to guy to get things done. DC Unlimited's WarCraft and Ratchet & Clank among other video game properties are at TRU, so I don't really get the "different situation" response.

Your second statement is the best news I've heard from SDCC 2010! I hope it actually happens!

I agree that others should chime in on the DC Direct message boards for support for DC MiniMates and possibly at TRU:

http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread....72&tstart=0

If you aren't registered there, sign up and voice your support! :)

Edited by 3Dean

• 5 weeks later...