UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Boyd's Customs

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

Lots of requests for Dr. Strangefate. I don't have any fondness for the character, but he would be kinda easy to do. Assuming I had a spare Dr. Strange cape.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a couple of new Iron Man armors for you today. First up is the Captain America Armor, an easy repaint of the Extremis Iron Man with some new decals:

irnmn_cp_one.jpg

And then I've got an armor of my own creation, the Volcano Armor - an armor that can get so hot, it goes translucent! And an excuse for me to use another translucent Minimate body:

irnmn_vlcno_one.jpg

As always, more pictures and the recipes for these Iron Men are available at my customs site.

That is excellent stuff! I love how the Cap-Armor Iron Man looks -- how'd you get that metallic sheen? I tried a silver/blue mix and a gloss blue coat on mine, but it never looked that good.

Also, that's a neat torso armor piece on that Volcano Armor IM. Where's it from? And I wish I had translucent plastic mates too. I'm a sucker for clear plastic and it would open up possibilities for customs too!

Here's a concept armor in the same vein that would be cool -- no idea how you'd pull off the clear-color look with a Mark VI armor though.

That is excellent stuff! I love how the Cap-Armor Iron Man looks -- how'd you get that metallic sheen? I tried a silver/blue mix and a gloss blue coat on mine, but it never looked that good.

Also, that's a neat torso armor piece on that Volcano Armor IM. Where's it from? And I wish I had translucent plastic mates too. I'm a sucker for clear plastic and it would open up possibilities for customs too!

The metallic blue is actually from a cheap acrylic paint I got at the local craft store - Folk Art Metallic Blue. Worked so much better than I expected it too.

And the chest piece is an ordinary "big chest" piece that I cut a hole out of, then added all the details & collar with Magic Sculpt. And I wish they made more translucent Minimates, too. The recent energized Terror Dog was a big disappointment when I realized that the arm pieces weren't blue all over. Totally put the stop to a custom I was thinking about.

Anyway, how about some more customs? War Machine customs sound good? Great. Here's Prismapolymer War Machine (from Iron Man (vol. 1) #289, where Rhodey had the fight the Living Laser, so he made the armor as reflective and laser-proof as possible). A very easy custom.

wrmchne_prsmplymr_one.jpg

And then I have Ultimate War Machine. I'm not familiar with the Ultimate Universe, but I'm pretty sure this armor has never been in the comic. I took the idea from Hasbro's figure, which only seems to exist because Hasbro wanted to reuse the figure mold.

wrmchne_ultmte_one.jpg

As always, more pictures, the recipes and more of my ramblings can be seen on my customs site.

i love you for that prismpolymir-whatever warmachine! that was the first comic i EVER read with the character and ive wanted that was a minimate forever! its such an easy variant for DST to pull off, i hope we one day see it :D

I remember seeing some art of Ultimate War Machine at some point, but I'll probably need to check again as I'm not a big Ultimate universe guy. In any event your custom if very well done, and I'd like to track down a spare Ultimate IM to do that too at some point and flesh out my concept armory.

Same goes for the Prismapolymer War Machine -- it's almost like a Movie "Mark II" look for that armor. Simply well done!

Sadly I'm without any local source for Folk Art paint, so I'll have to make do with the Mr. Hobby, Citadel and P3 stuff. :( It serves me well, though, it's just a little sad not to have as many options.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm happy that an easy repaint like the Prismapolymer War Machine was well-liked.

I'm down to my last two new Iron Man customs, and they both were inspired by customs form this board. First off is my Mark 1 Gold Iron Man, inspired by lastmaximal's great custom.

irnmn_mrk1gld_one.jpg

And then I've got my version of Shamrock's brilliant Iron Bat. I make mine a little different by going with the traditional blue and grey color scheme and a different set of wings.

irnbt_one.jpg

As always, more pics and recipes for these and other customs can be found over at my customs site.

Time for an easy repaint? You bet! Here's the silver Dreadnought, direct from bunches of old Iron Man comics:

drdnght_slvr_one.jpgdrdnght_slvr_two.jpg

Not much of a recipe for these guys (take Dreadnought, repaint silver, add decals - finished!) but if you want to read more of my ramblings, go check them out at my customs site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New custom! Based off this cover for a comic that hasn't been released yet!

ASM669_cover.jpg

It's the Six-Armed Shocker!

shckr_sxrms_one.jpgshckr_sxrms_two.jpg

Considering how few chances there are to make variant Shocker figures, I will gladly take the chance to make them when possible. Especially if I have the spare Shockers.

As always, see more pictures and the recipe and more of my babblings over my customs site.

That is brilliant! The 6 arms work fantastic on him. Before I read "especially if I have the spare Shockers" I actually thought you did the fishnets painted by hand. :ohmy: On the other hand, I thought you would've used the 6-arm-Spidey-6-arm-piece, but you did a much more amazing thing! :ohmy:

:biggrin:

Aww yeah Shocker! Can I tell you that he's my absolute favorite Spider-Man enemy? I've no idea why. I just like the guy. In general, I'm a big fan of the fringe villains in the Marvel Universe.

So what made you decide to glue the arms directly to his torso, rather then use the Six-Arm Spidey harness? And, Boyd, he's cool and all... but look at the cover. Where are the yellow stripy pants? He's not comics accurate! For shame! :down:

That is brilliant! The 6 arms work fantastic on him. Before I read "especially if I have the spare Shockers" I actually thought you did the fishnets painted by hand. :ohmy: On the other hand, I thought you would've used the 6-arm-Spidey-6-arm-piece, but you did a much more amazing thing! :ohmy:

:biggrin:

I don't like the 6-arm harness - to me, it makes the Minimate look too bulky. I like it better if the shoulder posts are glued directly to the torso.

*decides to make 6-armed Wolverine*

Six-armed characters are going to be the next big thing. Like leather jackets were in the 90's.

Aww yeah Shocker! Can I tell you that he's my absolute favorite Spider-Man enemy? I've no idea why. I just like the guy. In general, I'm a big fan of the fringe villains in the Marvel Universe.

So what made you decide to glue the arms directly to his torso, rather then use the Six-Arm Spidey harness? And, Boyd, he's cool and all... but look at the cover. Where are the yellow stripy pants? He's not comics accurate! For shame! :down:

There's no way I'm going to try to paint or make a decal for Shocker's quilty pants. I've got my limits. :)

Can't say I blame you about not liking the six-arm harness, though I do like that you can remove it and have a normal Spidey if you want. And God knows we could all use one of those!

There's no way I'm going to try to paint or make a decal for Shocker's quilty pants. I've got my limits. :)

Epic fail, Boyd. EPIC. FAIL.