UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Boyd's Customs

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap! I thought they were photoshopped too!

So, you should be taking first prize for this.

It was a poster contest, not a "come up with an elaborate process to make your poster" contest. What anyone did to make their poster shouldn't matter - only the final piece of art should be judged. And you had a kick-ass poster, and were rewarded appropriately.

By the way, did you ever say how you made the Riddler's question marks?

Decals. 80-some decals individually cut out and carefully applied over a couple of hours.

(I explained this back at post #40 :) )

Just seen your latest workbench photo Boyd. I always notice you have the same figure in alot of background shots. It looks like a bitsa party girl Mary Marvel with no head?

So whats the story behind this collection of parts as it seems to have survived and not been sacrificed to the to the customising gods :)

Just seen your latest workbench photo Boyd. I always notice you have the same figure in alot of background shots. It looks like a bitsa party girl Mary Marvel with no head?

So whats the story behind this collection of parts as it seems to have survived and not been sacrificed to the to the customising gods :)

It is a Mary Marvel, but there's nothing special about her. I just grabbed her from the pile when I needed a "parts easel". I use her to hold Minimate hands and gloves when I'm painting them. And when's she's wearing her head, I use her to paint hair pieces as well.

It is a Mary Marvel, but there's nothing special about her. I just grabbed her from the pile when I needed a "parts easel". I use her to hold Minimate hands and gloves when I'm painting them. And when's she's wearing her head, I use her to paint hair pieces as well.

Does Captain Marvel know that you treat Mary like this? ;)

what would the workbench custom be? i can make out a cape and what apears to be a mask like batmans

any clues? btw i'm a person who enjoys guessing what the custom's going to be on your site

No, and if he does, then he's next up to be remade as a custom.

what would the workbench custom be? i can make out a cape and what apears to be a mask like batmans

any clues? btw i'm a person who enjoys guessing what the custom's going to be on your site

But if you enjoy guessing so much, what happens when I tell you who they are? I would have taken away all your fun and would feel terrible.

I will tell you that it is a C3 Batgirl mask, a Superman cape and it's two characters - one Batman-related, and one Superman-related.

I would be more worried about Captain Marvel find out if you google Mary Marvel with the safe search off :blink:

On a side note that would make a great page in a Spidey or Supes comic. "hey Peter/Clark look what I've seen when looking up Spidey/Supes info!"

I spy a Prowler custom that's not listed on your site ;)

I told you I'd get to posting him... eventually...

Anyway, here's the Prowler:

prwlr_one.jpg

Like my Earth-2 Robins, the Prowler was another custom that I made years ago and never posted. Unlike the Robins, I still like this one. Of course it looks kinda primitive now that there's better parts out there (and I have more customizing skill). But I still like what I was able to achieve with him.

If I were to make him today, I'd definitely keep the hands (modified Carnage hands) as is, but use a Moon Knight cloak, the Crimson Dynamo wrist bands and feet for the capsules, and maybe make the chest a little more detailed. In fact, I probably wouldn't make him today, because with the amount of parts that have been made, I expect Diamond to release him in the next Spider-Man box set.

Full recipe & more can be seen at my site.

Edited by boyd

I always loved the look of the Prowler, especially when McFarlane drew him. You can totally see how drawing the Prowler's cape influenced Todd for Spawn. Great work Boyd!

Edited by MINI_MYTE

i like the prowler, i actually think it looks almost as good as your modern customs (meaning you were great back then too :) )

and i would love to see him as a real 'mate even though i dont know too much about the character

Being a old character fan, and an older character myself :) these are the guys I would love as figures. The omes that would never be made when I was a a kid.

Earth 2 guys like the 2 Robin's from DC

and the one hit fella's I remeber from Marvel...Lightmaster...Will'o'Wisp..Rocket Racer.

loads more but I have been in pub followin the LFC turmoil so I'm a bit stewed.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Being a old character fan, and an older character myself :) these are the guys I would love as figures. The omes that would never be made when I was a a kid.

and the one hit fella's I remeber from Marvel...Lightmaster...Will'o'Wisp..Rocket Racer.

Those are the characters I like to do as well. And thanks for the suggestions! Lightmaster would make me pull my hair out, trying to get all the lines on his costume even. Will o' the Wisp - that one is easy. Why haven't I made hime yet? Rocket Racer - hmmm, maybe with a Molecule Man V-chest thing (anyone got a spare Molecule Man?)

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Those are the characters I like to do as well. And thanks for the suggestions! Lightmaster would make me pull my hair out, trying to get all the lines on his costume even. Will o' the Wisp - that one is easy. Why haven't I made hime yet? Rocket Racer - hmmm, maybe with a Molecule Man V-chest thing (anyone got a spare Molecule Man?)

you must at least have a spare Lady Deathstrike

Glad I could light your bulb boyd :)

I agree Lightmaster is a bit of a pig graphic wise. Will'o' I have seen that guy ever since the first Ultimate/Movie Sabertooth that hair piece the same as Nitro's just rings my bell for Lightmaster.

As for Rocket Racer wouldn't one of the new Cable chestpieces work as well with out the cost of a TRU eclusive?

you must at least have a spare Lady Deathstrike

As for Rocket Racer wouldn't one of the new Cable chestpieces work as well with out the cost of a TRU eclusive?

Both better suggestions than a Molecule Man chest piece, and two options I should have thought of. Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately I don't have a space Lady Deathstrike, either. Off to my the Trade thread...

Great Son of Satan Boyd. I'd love to see your take on his current look in the comics.

Which current look? The poor guy has gotten at least four different makeovers in the past few years - the super-hero armored look from Joe Casye's Defenders series, the robe-and-shaved-head look in Ghost Rider, the priest cassock he wore in the Marvel Zombies series, or the current Iggy-Pop-no-shirt look from the Avengers. I love the character, but I wish Marvel would treat him a little more consistantly.

I kinda like the Iggy-Pop-no-shirt look, myself. And it would be easy enough to do, with a little sculpting for the hair. Hmmmmm...

Great Son of Satan Boyd. I'd love to see your take on his current look in the comics.

Which current look? The poor guy has gotten at least four different makeovers in the past few years - the super-hero armored look from Joe Casye's Defenders series, the robe-and-shaved-head look in Ghost Rider, the priest cassock he wore in the Marvel Zombies series, or the current Iggy-Pop-no-shirt look from the Avengers. I love the character, but I wish Marvel would treat him a little more consistantly.

I kinda like the Iggy-Pop-no-shirt look, myself. And it would be easy enough to do, with a little sculpting for the hair. Hmmmmm...

The Iggy Pop look.

New custom for Halloween - it's the Son of Satan!

sn_stn_two.jpg

More pics and the recipe are at my site. I'm hoping to get a few more Halloween-y characters done before Halloween, and then I can start working on Rocket Racer :)

I've been toying around with him in my mind for a while, but I could never quite figure out how to do the boots. But those Wolvie ones are perfect; might have to give him another go (though mine won't be as good as yours).