UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Toys R Us Sucks thread

I think that (most) everyone agrees on that point, but so what? I would prefer to be punched in the balls than to have a hot poker shoved up my butt, but that doesn't mean that it is OK for someone to punch me in the balls. I would probably still complain if someone did it.

Best. Analogy. Ever.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Toys 'R 'Us system isn't perfect - we all know this. And *hopefully* as of TRU Wave 6, we'll stop seeing the 1-per-case variants (Chuck mentioned something along those lines, didn't he?).

They are out there - and as of Wave 6 there will be even more of them out there.

I would like to say a huge thanx to the board members in this thread (One in particular ;) ) who have been kind enough to find almost every TRU exclusive for me.

I think it's most awesome that despite the rarity & difficulty in finding these, the MMMV community is mucking together to give everyone a better chance to get these guys :)

Cheers Boys & Girls.

Edited by Nessex

The Toys 'R 'Us system isn't perfect - we all know this. And *hopefully* as of TRU Wave 6, we'll stop seeing the 1-per-case variants (Chuck mentioned something along those lines, didn't he?).

They are out there - and as of Wave 6 there will be even more of them out there.

I would like to say a huge thanx to the board members in this thread (One in particular ;) ) who have been kind enough to find almost every TRU exclusive for me.

I think it's most awesome that despite the rarity & difficulty in finding these, the MMMV community is mucking together to give everyone a better chance to get these guys :)

Cheers Boys & Girls.

The kindness and selflessness shown by this community is indeed touching. I've visited lots of online forums, and I've never seen anything quite like it. We have some really good-hearted people here. :)

On a semi-related note, if anybody ever finds a Molecule Man/Spider-Woman set and wants to work out a deal of some sort, feel free to PM me. B)

I think that (most) everyone agrees on that point, but so what? I would prefer to be punched in the balls than to have a hot poker shoved up my butt, but that doesn't mean that it is OK for someone to punch me in the balls. I would probably still complain if someone did it.

Profundity is indeed the finest of your many fine qualities Sam :D

I don't know if anyone notices how quiet I've always been about my TRU Minimate acquisitions ? It's embarrassment :blush: I've managed to get most of my stuff with huge help from my friends in the US. None of those guys asked for anything in return & often just PMd me out of the blue! A lot of the time I read with genuine sadness that US members aren't getting the stuff they want & purely because of the scalping which I have to say is exacerbated by the DST/TRU alarming ignorance of the situation they were going to create . I've often been called 'old deep pockets' which is annoying if it were assumed that I would furnish the pockets of the outrageous $25 plus per pair ebay vendors.......I refuse to. I do however accept that variants have always fetched the big buck & I have unashamedly chased the chases since the day I started collecting & everything that sits in my collection has cost me a premium to get it here!

Minimate collecting shouldn't be about wads of cash being strangled out of people who never had the opportunity to buy the gear in the first place....that is called kubrick collecting & IS SICK ...

I sat listening to 'Digger' at 'you know where' months ago who categorically said that Minimates were conceived to emulate the kubrick formula...........

................things are going just fine then.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Here is my hang up. You go to SDCC. 48,000 people. 1,500 exclusives. Not everyone's gona get one. LCS, 16 2 packs. 1 variant. Not everyone's gona get one. Why are we expecting this to be different than any other exclusive or variant? That's the one thing I can't wrap my head around. I don't mean any offense not am I intending to set off a firestorm. Just wondering.

I see it this way:

SDCC - 1500 exclusives - one shot to get them until the secondary market

TRU - (can't say exactly how many are made) - many more opportunities to find these sets.....meaning more places to look, can go whenever you can and it's not restricted to a few days.

I guess it is kind of hard to explain.....but I feel as long as TRU restocks their shelves and allows new product to get to the shelves, I have a better chance of finding Those exclusives than I do a convention exclusive.

And for me personally, it's a matter of price.....I need to find these sets in stores because I can afford them at that prices, I can not afford secondary prices for say the Deadpool pack.

I dunno, just my opinion I guess.........

Part of the problem is that we've been told that these things are being shipped in greater numbers than the SDCC exclusives and the LCS releases. For there to be such an abundance of these things, they aren't showing up anywhere. My frustration doesn't stem from them selling out, it stems from them never sitting on a shelf or at the very least popping up on the website. I don't think we bitch and moan as much when a variant figure for a past wave shows up on eBay and we have to pay a bit extra to get it. We missed the original chance, so we accept the added cost for a second attempt. With these, we aren't getting the original chance, and instead we're only finding a healthy supply of them on the second hand market with the inflated prices.

Another part of the problem is that there is no one to bring this problem to in order to get it resolved. How many Q&A segments have we seen non-answers to the problem? Heck, how many acknowledge the full extent of the problem? You can't talk to the TRU customer service reps, either. I've fought that good fight and have yet to see anything in the way of progress. And talking to anyone in the store is hit or miss at best. With LCS and websites that sell these things, at least the people there are familiar with the product they are selling. I'm not blaming TRU for being a massive corporation with many hands in many pots. I'm just saying that instead of getting a seller who is familiar with his/her wares, you get a seller that most of the time is indifferent to the needs of the customer because there are far too many things to keep track of and far too many customers who can replace you if you get fed up and take your dollar elsewhere.

I'm anxious to see how Marvel TRU series 6 addresses the problem, but we still have to suffer through series 5 to get there. I'm hoping a balanced case will at least get them put back on the website. I've long since given up on them showing back up in my local store.

Here is my hang up. You go to SDCC. 48,000 people. 1,500 exclusives. Not everyone's gona get one. LCS, 16 2 packs. 1 variant. Not everyone's gona get one. Why are we expecting this to be different than any other exclusive or variant? That's the one thing I can't wrap my head around. I don't mean any offense not am I intending to set off a firestorm. Just wondering.

I don't understand either. I said something similar in a previous post on this thread. Whether you collect thimbles, stamps, eggbeaters, or Minimates, sometimes you have to go to eBay. Overseas folks have a slightly more legitimate argument but then again some thing are easier to find there then here so it all balances out.

I'm pretty sure the whole short pack thing is good for dst/tru in the short term because it creates a buzz people think wow these minimates are hot and they go in and buy a bunch. In the long term though many established minimate collectors may get fed up.

Having said that I think that for me the most fustrating part is that here in Canada we have tru but, for some unknown reason they don't carry minimates. I could wait outside my local tru everyday and be the first one in the door and it won't matter because there are no minimates :wacko:

Well, after this weekend I've been to 3 Toys R Us's in the state since series 4 was released, and I've still only seen a single Ultimates Hulk/Iron Man pack. I don't know what that means, exactly, but there it is.

I did a TRU run today and the one near me still has 2 pegs clogged with Wolverine movie waves - mostly the wolverine sabretooth set!

It's been the same way for months now and despite me asking they just shrug and give me the " why the fuck should I actually do my job for you, stupid customer" look...

T.

Dio, in the spirit of your post being in the "TRU sucks" thread, I edited it to be more appropriate. :P

I bought it at $20 but the Dark Avengers boxset is now $10! I want my $10 back!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3545301

The one per case numbers may be greater than variants, but I have to say that the recent TRU one per casers are more interesting figures (Bullseye, Angel) than some of the recent regular wave variants (Ult. Spiderella, WWII Wolvie, 1st App Sabe, WWII Ult Cap, Spec Ops Sabe) . I’m not saying those are bad figures, but I would personally take the Bullseye and Angel over any two recent variants. Numbers-wise, it makes sense but nobody could accurately predict how hot those figures were.

Chuck and Matt at SDCC recognized the one per case Bullseye situation but I can accept that maybe, just maybe, Angel was short-packed before DST fully realized the feedback/backlash from the community to alleviate it. I'm interested to see if there will be a one per case in the next wave. And not to point the pitchforks back to DST, but, as Chuck told me, they determine the case ratios, not TRU. Although I can imagine TRU could make some requests. I won’t envy DST’s short-packing decision to either make higher profile characters that will be sought after or a not so high profile characters (like UJ/WM) that might pegwarm.

Now to add my personal “TRU sucks”, it’s basically that they aren’t ordering enough from DST to supply our multiverse-wide demand!

OK, I guess it's about time I added my 2 cents to this. I currently HATE my local TRU!! There have been about 3 cases of BSG mates and another 2 cases of the mini flyers warming the pegs for quite a while now. The Marvel section was basically empty with only a handful of the series 2 WO mates. Today I stopped in and they had re-stocked the Marvel section... with 2 cases of BSG 2 and the mini flyers :angry: !!!! WTF?? "Hmmm, the BSG stock we have isn't moving. I have an idea! Lets fill in the Marvel section with MORE of the same crap we already can't sell!!! Briliant!"

AAAARRRG!!

"Magic 8 ball, will I ever get to see Angel/Warpath or wave 5 in my TRU?"

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!... no."

BS

Dio, in the spirit of your post being in the "TRU sucks" thread, I edited it to be more appropriate. :P

I bought it at $20 but the Dark Avengers boxset is now $10! I want my $10 back!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3545301

The one per case numbers may be greater than variants, but I have to say that the recent TRU one per casers are more interesting figures (Bullseye, Angel) than some of the recent regular wave variants (Ult. Spiderella, WWII Wolvie, 1st App Sabe, WWII Ult Cap, Spec Ops Sabe) . I’m not saying those are bad figures, but I would personally take the Bullseye and Angel over any two recent variants. Numbers-wise, it makes sense but nobody could accurately predict how hot those figures were.

Chuck and Matt at SDCC recognized the one per case Bullseye situation but I can accept that maybe, just maybe, Angel was short-packed before DST fully realized the feedback/backlash from the community to alleviate it. I'm interested to see if there will be a one per case in the next wave. And not to point the pitchforks back to DST, but, as Chuck told me, they determine the case ratios, not TRU. Although I can imagine TRU could make some requests. I won’t envy DST’s short-packing decision to either make higher profile characters that will be sought after or a not so high profile characters (like UJ/WM) that might pegwarm.

Now to add my personal “TRU sucks”, it’s basically that they aren’t ordering enough from DST to supply our multiverse-wide demand!

I was just trying to make the thread more positive and look where it gets me XD

I read a while back that most TRU stores are just lumping all of their different Minimate lines together in one aisle, thankfully my local TRU hasn't done that still (though if I go there today and realize that they did, I will have pretty much jinxed myself).

I called TRU yesterday and not even after 11 minutes on the phone and three people they couldn't tell me which Minimates they had. I want my 11 minutes back!

Edited by Dio

Alright then, here's MY hang up. SDCC exclusives are meant to be a sort of COLLECTORS ITEM at an event for COLLECTORS. They are a sort of memoir from your time there, something special that you can get because you attended. Toys R' Us exclusives are simply sold exclusive there as opposed to an LCS for their waves. They are NOT intended to remind you fondly of your trip to Toys R' Us. Toys R' Us is a NATION WIDE RETAIL STORE that sells ONLY TOYS. You should be able to go into the store to buy the products you want. These stores MAKE MONEY off of selling these toys to you. This isn't some kind of plan by Toys R' Us to keep these a limited collectible, this is STUPIDITY causing them to lose money and collectors and others to not be able to buy the things they want. With Transformers: Animated, I could go into any store and easily find the toys I wanted, with a few end-of-line partial exceptions. When I collected Marvel Legends, I could find all of the figures fairly easily, even the WAL-MART EXCLUSIVE wave with Giant-Man. I cannot find any of these damn TRU mates, because my TRU is obviously poorly managed, and enjoys losing money and pissing me off.

We have a right to be angry and vocal about this. I'm glad that some people here think that there's nothing wrong with the fact that some of us can't find what we want, and have to pay ridiculous prices if we ever do want them. Most of these people have either managed to find these items already, or don't really want them. Great for them.

Alright then, here's MY hang up. SDCC exclusives are meant to be a sort of COLLECTORS ITEM at an event for COLLECTORS. They are a sort of memoir from your time there, something special that you can get because you attended. Toys R' Us exclusives are simply sold exclusive there as opposed to an LCS for their waves. They are NOT intended to remind you fondly of your trip to Toys R' Us. Toys R' Us is a NATION WIDE RETAIL STORE that sells ONLY TOYS. You should be able to go into the store to buy the products you want. These stores MAKE MONEY off of selling these toys to you. This isn't some kind of plan by Toys R' Us to keep these a limited collectible, this is STUPIDITY causing them to lose money and collectors and others to not be able to buy the things they want. With Transformers: Animated, I could go into any store and easily find the toys I wanted, with a few end-of-line partial exceptions. When I collected Marvel Legends, I could find all of the figures fairly easily, even the WAL-MART EXCLUSIVE wave with Giant-Man. I cannot find any of these damn TRU mates, because my TRU is obviously poorly managed, and enjoys losing money and pissing me off.

We have a right to be angry and vocal about this. I'm glad that some people here think that there's nothing wrong with the fact that some of us can't find what we want, and have to pay ridiculous prices if we ever do want them. Most of these people have either managed to find these items already, or don't really want them. Great for them.

Except for the fact that you CAN'T go into any TRU and find them. No one ever said you could. DST is still trying to make that happen but as of this moment, it's not 100% of TRUs stocking Minimates, not out of stupidity, but because it was never supposed to be all TRUs. At least for now.

And I disagree with your definition between SDCC and TRU exclusives.

I've had way more luck finding Minimates at TRU than the Walmart exclusive DCUCs and MLs. I think Walmart sucks worse than TRU! :lol:

yeah, at least its possible to find some toysrus employees who can look up inventory at the store and warehouse level. Good luck even finding someone who can tell you what we have is out at walmart.