UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spider-man Friends and Foes

SouthFLGuy

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously :Chuck DID acknowledge the Angels' debacle & no doubt will acknowledge this.

Not so:

Because this thread will run & run can I have dibs on a new title.... 'The Tentacle Debacle'*. Note the spelling of 'tentacle' ;)

*It could have been worse ........I toyed with 'Vulgar Vulture' & 'Poorly Painted Pussy' .

I have also adjusted the Price Guide to reflect Riot Spidey's new desirability ......he is definitely not the worst Minimate I ,now, have seen.

You misunderstand me, Lob. I'm not giving up on the line, or predicting it's death. I do expect that Chuck will stop by and apologize for the factory screwup, because he's a descent guy. What I was trying to head off was any kind of human cry to re-issues them a free corrected set, or some kind of compensation for this. It's just not going to be that simple.

So what do we do? Well we non-creative types can sit back and be patient. The highly creative phalanx of our membership will probably start figuring out fixes for the tentacles and maybe even some decals to cover Peter's face and Felicia's chest. Then undoubtedly they'll share their how-to's with the rest of the class. It sucks that we have to fix these ourselves, but I think that's really the best option right now.

I'm not canceling my preorder, as the Vulture was the main focus of the set for me, with what I thought was a nice batch of bonuses. Now the bonuses aren't as nice as originally thought.

Yeah I'm sure this has come about because they had an absolute ton of product to get out from China at once and the factory they got to do this one was, er, not the best. Which is probably why they hadn't previously been using them, except to make any Minimate that Rad buys.

Yeah I'm sure this has come about because they had an absolute ton of product to get out from China at once and the factory they got to do this one was, er, not the best. Which is probably why they hadn't previously been using them, except to make any Minimate that Rad buys.

I believe Danny has hit it on the head.

Riot Spidey moving up in the world! :banana:

LOL!

Okay, I'm a pretty easy-going guy; I make a terrible reviewer because I can never say anything bad about things (blame my mother). Having said that, I strongly, STRONGLY recommend that any one who can avoid buying this set, do so! Cancel your preorders, just say "no" to the LCS clerk. This set is complete trash, honsetly. Seriously, Black Cat and Spidey are going straight into my parts bin and Doc Ock needs some heavy modification.

Bacially, you're paying $16+ for Vulture (and even he's not-quite-right).

Do not know if it has been mentioned before, but the hands on the figures are also the old design. The newer hands have had a more pointed peg end with a ridge (very phallic) and the hands are sharp. The older hands had a blunt peg with a smooth shaft (not as phallic) and rounded hands. Also Doc Oc's tentacles will attach. You just have to be forceful. I took the fat suit off and put my thumb inside then pushed the tentacles in. I only really had trouble getting one in. If they keep popping out, it is because they have not been pushed in all the way. The socket is there it just takes some coercing.

Do not know if it has been mentioned before, but the hands on the figures are also the old design. The newer hands have had a more pointed peg end with a ridge (very phallic) and the hands are sharp. The older hands had a blunt peg with a smooth shaft (not as phallic) and rounded hands. Also Doc Oc's tentacles will attach. You just have to be forceful. I took the fat suit off and put my thumb inside then pushed the tentacles in. I only really had trouble getting one in. If they keep popping out, it is because they have not been pushed in all the way. The socket is there it just takes some coercing.

:blink:

creepiest...post...ever...

:lol:

Funny out of context.

You just have to be forceful. I took the fat suit off and put my thumb inside then pushed the

tentacles

in. I only really had trouble getting one in. If they keep popping out, it is because they have not been pushed in all the way. The socket is there it just takes some coercing.

My biggest hope is that the Iron Man 2 mates were produced somewhere else. :) I don't want to continue the negative vibe too much here but I do need to say that this is not like any collector let downs of the past. Switching a variant, making another battle damaged character or having a few wings hang a bit loose are all expected and really only affect collectors. Anyone buying this set will notice the problems.. This set is the equivalent of those fake transformers sets you can get from china where the stickers are already pealing off inside the box. These look like knock-off minis produced by a cheap competitor. It doesn't change how much I love the line and how this has been the biggest thing I have ever collected.. but I can't say this box set was not a big deal. Crap is crap, I'm just posting hear in hopes it is not the new norm.

On to brighter things.. I am still happy to have Vulture. I thought it was very clever in design. I like how the wings fold out as you bend at the elbo. Ocks extra arms are fantastic (still hoping I can get them to stay).. the design update was well needed. All in all, I loved the concept and design of this whole set.. and I like the web shooter on spideys wrist.. I'll be scrapping the body and use the wrist band for another mini. As for Cat, I'll be watching intently for a nice sticker to be produced here.

-The Vox of an average collector

dang, I wish I had been around the computer the last few days. I would have had time to see this thread and cancel my box set from BBTS. But its already in my pile of loot :-/

I wish I still had my old black cat to just switch the head piece.

Edited by SouthFLGuy

picked my set up despite the bad reviews and I have to say I really like vultrue as is the lime green feathers add to the mate more than a monotone color scheme might have and as for doc and his tentacles I found this to be an easy fix

his block cover comes off and from the inside I found the four holes his tentacles are supposed to pop into and took a x-acto knife and twisted it in the hole so the back or inside of the peg hole is bigger than the outside or front of the peg hole after that all 4 tentacles snapped into place with a satisfying click! hope this helps you guys

picked my set up despite the bad reviews and I have to say I really like vultrue as is the lime green feathers add to the mate more than a monotone color scheme might have and as for doc and his tentacles I found this to be an easy fix

his block cover comes off and from the inside I found the four holes his tentacles are supposed to pop into and took a x-acto knife and twisted it in the hole so the back or inside of the peg hole is bigger than the outside or front of the peg hole after that all 4 tentacles snapped into place with a satisfying click! hope this helps you guys

Thanks for the tip BID. I'll give that a try when my set arrives. Do the tentacles move smoothly now (without popping out) after your modification?

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Thanks for the tip BID. I'll give that a try when my set arrives. Do the tentacles move smoothly now (without popping out) after your modification?

yes sir, be gentle though if you take out too much they will be loose and flop around

I don't really know whether to laugh or cry with this thread. To be honest the set was never that high on my list...we already have a beautiful Black Cat,Doc Ock was fine by me but could have done with a new head & larger testicles (Freudian slip) ,battle damage 'mates bore me ....& then there is Vulture ....who really does appear in my 'must haves'.

The 'Heroes' & 'Villains' sets never set the world alight but they were 'damn fine coffee' ......these appear to be the dregs. :(

I'm gonna totally jinx myself and say that, of all the problems folks have reported with their 'mates – from broken extremities to missing accessories and everything in between – I've never had a problem.

I just checked my battle-damaged Spidey for web-face and he's fine. DST must have made a running change. I also have all four of Ock's tentacles. The color on Black Cat's face doesn't match her chest but it's not killing me and I actually like the hues on Vulture.

I hope everyone finds an acceptable solution to their Minimate issues so they can be at least as happy with their toys as I am. :)

I scooped this set up on Wednesday - not at all impressed.

Color snafu or not, Vulture is pretty darn cool with the wings...

otherwise...

My friends at Krazy Glue took care of Doc Octopus... I could only get one tentacle to stay as designed...

Black cat is pretty nice, only to have the color mismatch be a huge letdown - it looks like her torso was set upon by vampires.

BD Spidey is just sloppy - The only thing that even remotely redeems him is the webline accessories... barely.

Looks like the "worst of 2010" bar has been set pretty high (or low, depending on how you look at it) and we're only a quarter of the way through the year.

i've heard a few of you talk about the vulture's "lime green feathers", but MY vulture 'mate's feathers are straight-up yellow. seriously. lime green would have been A-okay with me, but yellow just looks wrong. sheesh!

the vulture is such a cool minimate besides the color screw-up, though... and, yeah: i AM bummed out about black cat, too. the spidey i honestly don't give a shit about (with the exception of that cool TRU wave 6 mr. fantastic, i never give a crap about the battle damaged 'mates).

Edited by velvet