UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spider-man Friends and Foes

SouthFLGuy

Where were the Doc Ock's tentacles in the packaging? I don't think I could have missed them.

Attached are a couple of quick pics. I actually like the Doc Ock, but don't have the arms, of course. The Spidey I didn't really care about. Black Cat's skin tone is a head scratcher. Her chest must be grey from all the chimney sweeping she's been doing. Vulture's wings are an odd color, and I can't get his white collar to center just right, it keeps sliding around.

So, yeah, disappointing set.

exactly! my vulture's wings are the exact same shade of yellow as the one in this pic. :(

ummm... that pic of the vulture from page 9, i meant. :P

That is the same color most of us on the board are referring to as lime-green. IMO it is not banana-yellow or grass-green, but a combination of the two. Hence, the lime-green references.

i hear ya, bro, but i have to respectfully disagree. to me the vulture's wings just look... yellow. :(

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my set today in the mail and.... :sick: ....what a disaster of a boxset.

Vulture's lime wings will definitely need to be repainted.

Thanks to everyone for the fixes on Black Cat's torso and Doc Ock's tentacles that at least makes them salvageable. However, the yellow paint on Doc Ock is horrible with lots of green coming through.

I didn't care about the Spiderman figure when the set was announced so I'm not upset that he is a complete waste and one of the worst minimates ever.

Vulture's wings don't bother me as much as I thought they would. And he looks great on a flight stand.

So if everyone hates this Spidey so much that should mean it should be easy for me to get my hands on a second one of his web shooters right? :-P

All the complaints have convinced me not to pick this set up right away. I guess I will just pick up Vulture somewhere down the line on the secondary market, or wait until the set goes on clearance somewhere. We've got to speak with our pocket-books when something like this happens. High quality Minimates, or no Minimates at all, I say.

Edited by karamazov80

I ordered a couple sets of these myself and after reading some of what is in this thread I wasnt expecting to much, I was mainly spooked about docs tentalces im a huge doc ock fan and without to much work i got them to work well with a toothpick streched the hole out a little ,if this method has been mentioned disregard but if not i hope this helps, by not expecting to much im fairly happy with the set if i dont compare them to other new minimates,ill admit there a step down on quality from what im used to but still fairly happy, hope the toothpick method works as well for someone else as much as it worked for me.

I ordered a couple sets of these myself and after reading some of what is in this thread I wasnt expecting to much, I was mainly spooked about docs tentalces im a huge doc ock fan and without to much work i got them to work well with a toothpick streched the hole out a little ,if this method has been mentioned disregard but if not i hope this helps, by not expecting to much im fairly happy with the set if i dont compare them to other new minimates,ill admit there a step down on quality from what im used to but still fairly happy, hope the toothpick method works as well for someone else as much as it worked for me.

thanks for the tip, man. i'll have to give the ol' toothpick trick a whirl. :)

Black cat- chest paint is off a bit but again not as drastic as they appear in the earlier photos (flash?)

Maybe in pics, but not in person. The chest on mine is a yellowish grey. It's extremely off-putting. My eyes don't cast a flash on the things I'm looking at (at least, I don't think they do! :blink:)...

Well, I got my Spidey set today along with the X-Factor box set. It's not as bad as I was thinking it would be. I'll live with it, though I do notice a bit difference in plastic between the Spidey set and my X-Factor set.

Will have to work on the Doc's tentacles and I wasn't concerned about the Spider-Man with his web face. (Though really his flesh tempos are really bad)

In any case, I'm more concerned with getting me an X-Factor Angel now somehow for my X-Factor team.

I was able to get Doc Ock's tentacles in place with a little patience and lubrication, no cutting/gluing needed.

Once the ball joint for the tentacle is lubricated (I just used spit!), just twist into place until the arm is in place.

I had removed the chest piece, that made it easier. When the arms are correctly in place, you'll be able to see a hint of silver on the inside of the back of the chest piece.

The paint applications on Black Cat and Spider-Man are definitely the worst I've seen on a Minimate, as many others are saying. I really want to know what Diamond has to say about this. Between Spidey and Black Cat's paint, Vultures wings, and Doc Ock's tentacle problem, I really feel that this set warrants a recall/replace. If it was just one of the 4, I would just shrug it off, but to have this level of defect on all 4 figures is unacceptable at this stage of Minimate production.

I am stuck in Witchita for a Supplier Symposium for a couple of days, and found a few new mates, including the spiderman box set. I really wanted that set when it was announced but seeing it in person, it is even worse than the pics posted on here. Black Cat and Spidey are simply terrible figures. The tampo prints are just horrible.

Vulture looks good except for the blasted wings. and Doc Ock is the saving grace, but I am not paying 15 bucks for him...when I am sure this set will be able to be found in the secondary later.

really really bad

moc847

I found the lack of detail lines on the sides and back of Vulture far more distracting than the color of his wings.

Also, my Black Cat wasn't too bad. Sure, the color didn't match the face, but it still maintained a flesh tone look as opposed to an ashy color.

Spidey was awful though. It looks like if they had put a thicker coat of flesh and white on the figure, then everything would have been fine, but the red, blue, and black just bled through everything else they put on the thing, so you get web lines in his face and eyes, and red and blue tint to the flesh color that's exposed everywhere else.

I was hoping to log in and find out that this box set was a big April Fools joke from Art Asylum for the fans... and that the real set would be coming out soon. :) oh well, at least I can laugh at this sad box set now.

Happy Spring everyone! (It's snowing right now in Salt Lake)

Edited by The Vox

I finally got my set from Luke's toy store and found that my Black Cat and Spiderman both had 2 left arms. Black Cats not a big deal, I have plenty of spare black arms. The Spidey is impressive though, The arm has the web shooter and proper paint deco, but it only bends backwards. Good thing about the Spidey though, he sucks so bad all ready, I don't care that he has a gimp arm. I have no complaints about Doc Ock and the Vulture.

Got my set today black cats chest color looks terrible and the web lines showing up on Spideys face is bad as well. I think the vulture might be an homage to the toybiz version the way the vault guard minimate was like the old toybiz version. I would have to find it again to be sure but, when I was cleaning out my collection I had an old toybiz vulture figure and I believe his wings were the same lime green color as the minimates figure.

I got this set yesterday (along with my IM2 singles) and these are some of lowest quality mates if not THE lowest quality yet. As has been mentioned by many so far the paint color difference from head to torso piece, Doc Ocs tentacles (which I glued on mine after trying toothpick and lubricating methods mentioned above didn't work) are just a few of the problems I also experienced. I am still happy to have new minimates but these were a disappointment.

Edited by gambitron

I got this set yesterday (along with my IM2 singles) and these are some of lowest quality mates if not THE lowest quality yet. As has been mentioned by many so far the paint color difference from head to torso piece, Doc Ocs tentacles (which I glued on mine after trying toothpick and lubricating methods mentioned above didn't work) are just a few of the problems I also experienced. I am still happy to have new minimates but these were a disappointment.

im sorry to hear the toothpick trick did not work for you

Black cat- chest paint is off a bit but again not as drastic as they appear in the earlier photos (flash?)

Maybe in pics, but not in person. The chest on mine is a yellowish grey. It's extremely off-putting. My eyes don't cast a flash on the things I'm looking at (at least, I don't think they do! :blink:)...

Well mine looks ok, like i said not perfect but OK, thanks for the smart ass reply :angry:

I saw a father buying these for his two little boys today and I almost stopped him... but then realized that I was about to have a conversation about paint applications with a father who just wanted his two young hellions to shut up for a few moments.

Well mine looks ok, like i said not perfect but OK, thanks for the smart ass reply :angry:

It wasn't meant to be smart-ass, calm down.