UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Error, Does not compute?

Punisher

Good job, Luke!

If it is the Hydra Agent, then Diamond is teasing the next Marvel wave, just in code to annoy us.

I wonder - since we're getting a Hydra Agent, and they've been giving us names in code, it all seems very spy-like. Are we getting an updated Nick Fury in the next two waves?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... Jim Lee Storm would make sense: Captain Marvel looks like a shoo-in for the Secret Wars box set, and her cape would be an easy reuse for Storm's caped costume from the Lee era... for that matter, the same would go for Banshee's costume.

Sweet! I was trying to figure out what letter the number 17 was. Nice job. If these are right, we are looking a freakin' sweet wave already.

Hmm... Jim Lee Storm would make sense: Captain Marvel looks like a shoo-in for the Secret Wars box set, and her cape would be an easy reuse for Storm's caped costume from the Lee era... for that matter, the same would go for Banshee's costume.

Hadn't thought about that, but yeah, with that cape and a collar piece from the DC line, you could put together a pretty sweet Banshee.

I hate to be the unimaginative moocher here, but can anyone explain (through PM, probably) in layman's terms how they've figured out the letter-number values? Any particular reason why some of the numbers were so arbitrarily high?

Assuming it's a standard crypto-whatzit, I've isolated the "most likely" 3-letter words. Based on nothing but my own twisted logic:

ass

off

lee, see

zoo, too

all, ill

odd, add

egg

err

inn

Examples of possible combinations:

BIG

ASS

_ _ _ _ G

JIM

LEE

_ _ _ _ M

GET

OFF

_ _ _ _ T

THE

ZOO

_ _ _ _ E

END

ALL

_ _ _ _ D

I'm very much interested in what makes this a "standard crypto-whatzit", because this is the first I've heard of such a system. Dang it, DST's sadistic ingenuity in unveiling new waves knows no bounds.

Edited by NorthRaider

I'm not sure if anyone's actually "cracked" the code yet; it seems we're just going on assumptions based on same-letter pairs and Marvel characters that correspond with those letters.

For the junior codebreakers out there, here's a list that corresponds with the alphabet (with apologies to Karamazov's earlier list):

a: 17

b:

c:

d: 41

e: 89

f:

g: 64

h: 8

i: 50

j: 59

k:

l: 47

m: 12

n: 81

o: 74

p:

q:

r: 78

s: 3

t: 96

u:

v:

w:

x:

y: 45

z:

Anyone see any patterns yet?

Edited by Lobsterman

What elhonez did was to assume that each number had a corresponding letter, and try possible 3 letter words that ended in double letters. This would give him the correct letter for those numbers. Then he replaced other numbers in the puzzle with those letters. He listed the possibilities, and the only one that could possibly have been a marvel comic character was Jim Lee Storm. When the second puzzle came out, we took those same letter assignments, and got a clue to what the character could be. The only character I could find that fit the letters was Hydra Agent.

I don't think there is any pattern to what numbers were assigned to each letter. I think they were assigned randomly.

I think that we have guessed correctly so far, but we will really know once the next clue is released, and the letters we already know will hopefully spell out another character.

Edited by luke314pi

So it's basically a substitution cipher that (from my vantage point so far) assigned completely arbitrary number values to given letters?

Now I'm caught between utter awe and utter exasperation. Once again DST has redefined "epic."

(Just so I can contribute something vaguely of substance to this thread: this has GOT to be another wave unveiling. The Hydra Agent is an army builder, and I can't imagine any direct link to it and Jim Lee Storm to point to another themed boxset. Not to mention that all this shrouded-in-mystery codebreaking stuff will probably be the sort of stuff we'll remember for years :lol:)

New clue must have just gone up:

May 1, 2009 : System Overloaded, Please Reboot

8 45 41 78 17 17 64 89 81 96

I have no idea what this is. Going by Lobsterman's cypher, The first letter of the first word would be "h", and the last letter of the first word and second letter of the second would be "a". so H---a A----. I don't think the first one is Jim Lee Storm.

Edited by hellpop

I have no idea what this is.

Check a few pages back, we might have solved this clue already. The first clue might be Jim Lee Storm and today's clue might be Hydra Agent.

Edited by luke314pi

I have no idea what this is.

Check a few pages back, we might have solved this clue already. The first clue might be Jim Lee Storm and today's clue might be Hydra Agent.

D'oh! Sorry, should have gone back to the next page before posting. I think you're definitely right. Hydra Agent didn't cross my mind, but that's very good. Man, Luke, you are a man of many talents! Even if you're wrong, I think DST should make whatever you come up with!

If the past two days' clues are any indication, then there actually isn't any math involved at all. (I'm not kidding.)

So who wants to calculate the odds of Falcon, Black Panther, Winter Soldier or a Hellfire Club goon making it into the next waves? :P

I would be stunned if the Black Panther is not in this wave. He is (arguably) the biggest name not to be made into a Minimate; also, he's got a cartoon coming out on BET and Marvel has been trying to push the character as much as possible. I just hope he's in his Kirby-style costume.

Hmm.

Army builder: Hydra

Jim Lee Storm

Would these be packed together?... Hydra will come with the character that has a variant, since that's the new pattern with waves (Iron Man - AIM, Sabretooth - Skrull, Ult Cap - SHIELD). Maybe a black or silver costume Storm with a white costume variant?