UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

AFX's 4th SDCC '09 Exclusive - can you guess what it is?

Jad

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least I tried. Not a bad-looking set at all in fairness.

Now not to get greedy, but we need Songbird, Moonstone, and Swordsman to complete this version of the team.

... Seconded :( This feels like the second time we've been shafted out of a Moonstone Minimate. (Classic Ms Marvel, anyone? <_<)

Edited by NorthRaider

I'm really liking this set and I'm glad the sets are being current to story lines that are prominent now. Just think about the comic fan who goes in to his LCS to buy say Dark Avengers and spots the Dark Avengers boxset that would be a great impulse buy the majority of the team at a good price compared to buying the larger scale figures. Same goes for this Thunderbolts set :thumbsup::banana:

I'm liking all of this set but for different reasons. Penance and Radioactive Man, always good to have new figures. Osborn, finally a unmasked head for the Goblin. Gargan Venom, ok its another Venom but I have to say looking at it its prob my favourite modern one. It actually looks vicious.

This is a nice looking set, but Osbourne? I know he's the leader of the T-Bolts, but his costume looks ridiculous (that and we're getting him in the DA boxed set). Did he even dress like that in the comic book? I've seen him in his suit, but that? He reminds me of Lex Luthor when he wore his goofy looking purple and green costume. I would have much preffered an updated version of Bullseye personally.

Anywho, way to go DST. That Gargan Venom is off the hook! I just know you guys are gonna include his tail. I mean it would be ridiculous not to. Right DST?

BTW, now that Venom plus his DA Spider-Man will make 2 versions of Mac Gargan coming out in minimate form. Now you guys just need to put out the most recognizable version of him as the Scorpion!

Edited by MINI_MYTE

This is a nice looking set, but Osbourne? I know he's the leader of the T-Bolts, but his costume looks ridiculous (that and we're getting him in the DA boxed set). Did he even dress like that in the comic book? I've seen him in his suit, but that? He reminds me of Lex Luthor when he wore his goofy looking purple and green costume. I would have much preffered an updated version of Bullseye personally.

He did wear that during Secret Invasion.

And ohmagod! THUNDERBOLTS! Winness! Me likee Radioactive Man and Penance. Me likee less but still likee Norman and Venom. Bullseye was more important than Venom. But I guess we needed an "A" lister.

HEY! Technicaly this is a villains pack. Who cares if they turned hereos, they were villains! DST, I like this new direction.

And yes, the scorpion tail is missing from Venom. Pity he seems to be the part-reuse character of the set.

*cough*Radioactivemanremindsmeofwave26variantSabretooth*cough*

An all-villains pack is always great. New Norman and Penance look kinda cool. Norman looks like a guy in a hazmat suit, and we're finally getting a new emo minimate! :lol:

Now MY question is...

If we have the Gargan Venom in the Thunderbolts set, I wonder how the Spider-man in the Dark Avengers set is gonna look so as to be different from the Back in Black Spider-man...

Hopefully DST will change their minds at the last minute and replace Gargan with Moonstone Ms Marvel. :rolleyes:

That's a new web-gear harness that Norman is wearing, isn't it? Would be perfect for a re-use with the Winter Soldier (hint, hint DST).

Also, I think Norman may look a little odd wearing a suit top with Gambit's boots. Could just be me, though...

The rest of the Minimates look nice enough. I've had my fill of Venom, but he does look nice, and I'd be ecstatic if he came with his scorpion tail. And shirtless, scarred Robbie Baldwin isn't a big selling point for the Penance Minimate for me.

Does this mean we're never getting a Songbird?

For some reason Thunderbolts is one of the few Marvel titles I don't read. It just never appealed to me. Should I give it a chance? Is it any good?

It was great until Norman showed up. The whole Norman is a hero and everyone is going to forget all the bad stuff he's done is totally unbelievable and ludicrous. This in my opinion is a waste of a thunderbolts set. I love gargan venom, but gargan in 2 sets that are supposed to complement each other is retarded. And norman in 2 sets is retarded too, they are totally wasting space. Radioactive man is cool but the other characters have only been bolts for a short time. This set is missing Zemo, swordsman, songbird, atlas, the beatle, mach IV, and moonstone. RM and maybe gargan plus any of the 2 I listed would have been a much cooler set, especially since many bolts are obscure enough that they may not likely get into another assortment, unlike Venom and Norman who are all over the place these days. Thunder rant over.

"Those are the sixty points of pain that will hurt me the most."

I will say it again. Speedball=LAME, it is shameful that such a nice costume design (penance) was wasted on that whiny little baby. Please feel free to debate me on this.

Edited by arnim zola

i think after seeing this on diamondselecttoys.com, we have no hope for a tail. It would have been mentioned

i think after seeing this on diamondselecttoys.com, we have no hope for a tail. It would have been mentioned:

Marvel Minimates Thunderbolts Box Set

Dark Reign is THE story in today’s Marvel Universe and the Thunderbolts members play key roles in this saga. This boxed set includes Norman Osborn, Venom (Mac Gargan), Penance, and Radioactive Man! Norman Osborn includes extra parts to change from his military suit to business suit. Radioactive Man’s hooded top and mask can be removed to reveal Chen Lu. Penance’s helmet and chest/back piece can be removed to reveal a bare-chested Robbie Baldwin, and he comes with extra sleeveless arms. $20 and limited to just 2,000 sets!

Norman Osborn includes extra parts to change from his military suit to business suit. Radioactive Man’s hooded top and mask can be removed to reveal Chen Lu. Penance’s helmet and chest/back piece can be removed to reveal a bare-chested Robbie Baldwin, and he comes with extra sleeveless arms.

So this means the whole time I've gotten Norman and Radioactive Man mixed up. Stupid me. :stick:

I dread to think about what Penance's alternate look may look like... bloody arms? :ohmy:

The whole Norman is a hero and everyone is going to forget all the bad stuff he's done is totally unbelievable and ludicrous.

Right, but... isn't that the basis for the entire team? They're all villains who get a free pass by taking up hero work...

Plus, Normie has the fact that he was clinically insane going for him, which took away his legal responsibility to his Goblin crimes, and allowed him to be 'cured' and lead the T-Bolts... doesn't seem any more ludicrous than anything else in the Marvel U, but that's just me...

I will say it again. Speedball=LAME, it is shameful that such a nice costume design (penance) was wasted on that whiny little baby. Please feel free to debate me on this.

I debate you on this. :P By which I just mean that I think the emo self-stabby costume is what makes Penance lame, not his Speedball roots...

Luke - Thunderbolts is good. The premise of the team has always been bad guys pretending to be good to take advantage of society/the system/etc. The twist is that some of the bad guys actually reform and find themselves at odds with their teammates and leader. The stories are generally about second chances and redemption. Songbird (fka Screaming Mimi) and Atlas (fka Goliath) are two sympathetic characters.

The Norman as leader stories have been very good. He seems slightly more brilliant than Zemo, but also more disturbed. Zemo usually controlled the team with his ruthlessness, while Norman has been just lucky. Zemo has always been brought down by his nemesis Captain America, so we will see if Norman is eventually defeated by Spider-Man. Strangely, I never found Zemo to be a character I liked - he always seemed one dimensional. However, I'm finding myself rooting for Osborn. Dark Reign is so well written.

The only story arc to avoid is the final arc of the first volume. Marvel turned the Thunderbolts into a stylized wrestling story that fans and critics hated. It didn't last more than a few issues.

I find it interesting that so many people are not liking this, especially when you look at the huge support of the Champions set. I just think it's amazing that there are at least 5 Minimate sets debuting at SDCC, but see this as being the easiest to find after the show.

I really like how they turn out! All of them, even the new Venom looks kind of cool.

But I think it's funny, that the canister on Radioactive Man's back being one of the main evidence to detect him as RM, turns out to be just a tube instead! :P

Oh, and:

Norman Osborn was the surprise fourth no one could place.

Bottom: The guy on the bottom / front however comes with a sculpted hairpice or helmet/mask, a sculpted jacket or something and - that's important I guess - huge boots! They look like the ones Iron Man came with in the Civil War package. I don't see anyone wearing special boots that need such a sculpting in the Thunderbolts roster. Maybe - very big maybe here - a new Gobiln. So maybe it's Osborn...

:geek:

Huh. Well, not being at all familiar with any of these outfits, and not really liking them, this is a pass for me. Thunderbolts used to have some pretty cool looking characters, IMO, but these guys all look dull and/or cheesy. Venom looks weird.

On the other hand, Osbourne's web gear could work great for some GI joe customs.