UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

AFX's 4th SDCC '09 Exclusive - can you guess what it is?

Jad

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do look a lot like they appear in the comics. OK, this isn't a pic from the comics, but the only groupshot I found right now. So in this sense, I think they are pretty well done.

I can see that they are accurate representations (not that I would expect any less from DST), but I personally just don't care for these designs. Maybe if I could justify paying the outrageous costs of comic books to read them anymore, I would like them more, but. . .I can't, so I don't.

Seriously, comics cost around $3 each, and take maybe 10 minutes to read. How is that value? Screw them.

Edited by karamazov80

Luke - Thunderbolts is good. The premise of the team has always been bad guys pretending to be good to take advantage of society/the system/etc. The twist is that some of the bad guys actually reform and find themselves at odds with their teammates and leader. The stories are generally about second chances and redemption. Songbird (fka Screaming Mimi) and Atlas (fka Goliath) are two sympathetic characters.

The Norman as leader stories have been very good. He seems slightly more brilliant than Zemo, but also more disturbed. Zemo usually controlled the team with his ruthlessness, while Norman has been just lucky. Zemo has always been brought down by his nemesis Captain America, so we will see if Norman is eventually defeated by Spider-Man. Strangely, I never found Zemo to be a character I liked - he always seemed one dimensional. However, I'm finding myself rooting for Osborn. Dark Reign is so well written.

The only story arc to avoid is the final arc of the first volume. Marvel turned the Thunderbolts into a stylized wrestling story that fans and critics hated. It didn't last more than a few issues.

Thanks JP! I will request some of the older trades from my library and give them a shot. :)

I will request some of the older trades from my library and give them a shot. :)

Problem. Answer. Answer problem.

Karamazov, this is Luke. Luke, this is Karamazov.

:P

An excellent point! Karamazov, if your library doesn't carry the TPB's you want to read, you can always request in inter-library loan from another library. Just talk to the nice little old lady at the desk and tell her to hook you up. :D

I will request some of the older trades from my library and give them a shot. :)

Problem. Answer. Answer problem.

Karamazov, this is Luke. Luke, this is Karamazov.

:P

This reminds me of the time me and my friend Reese's introduced chocolate to peanut butter.

Mmm, chocolate. . .

An excellent point! Karamazov, if your library doesn't carry the TPB's you want to read, you can always request in inter-library loan from another library. Just talk to the nice little old lady at the desk and tell her to hook you up. :D

Y'know, I have used interlibrary loan quite a bit for journal articles and hard to find books, but never considered: 1) that the LSU library might have TPBs, or 2) that I could ILL for them if they didn't. Thanks for the idea. I just checked, and very briefly, I see that we do have old comics available to check out, even Amazing Spiderman #3!

2 Gargans in 2 sets and 2 Normans in the same two sets is what really has me peaved about this. That norman outfit in the TB box is terribly lame. Maybe the suit will save it. As for Penance, are the spikes on his costume on the inside too? If they are then yes he is very emo. I will still be getting this set, but Im more excited about johnny blaze ghost rider. Im going to have my Penance mate getting owned by Nitro.

I'm liking the set, It looks incredible, I do feel a little ticked that they won't have a songbird!!!!, or even a new bullseye, but still thats what customs are for! also, I feel it's not worth $20...but I might bite

The spikes are indeed on the inside. Apparently Speedball can only access his power when he feels pain now, and also he's just so awfully torn up inside. I always thought Speedball was kind of lame. Penance, though, is just stupidly lame. IMO

Radioactive Man and Gargan Venom look cool. Osborne's head looks cool. I'll probably try to get this set.

Thunderbotls is probably one of the best 616 books out there Luke. It, along with Thor, are the only 616 books I read anymore. But when the subscription on Thunderbolts runs out I'm dropping it. It has declined in my opinion when they put in the new team. It was GREAT from Civil War to Secret Invasion (not including SI.) SI onward, not so much.

Not really digging this set. A set with the more iconic Thunderbolts like Songbird, Mach #, Atlas, or Zemo etc would have been more my cup of tea. In a few years, Radioactive man will be back to his normal look, Penance wiil be back to being Speedball or is killed, and Norman will be the psycho goblin again.

I guess I've been spoiled by the past box sets. Invaders, Avengers #1, Defenders and Champions were more up my alley. This seems like it is taking advantage of a flash in the pan gimmick instead of getting us characters we've known for years.

Well, it's good to give us more of a variety. All those sets you mentioned are more so for the older comic fans, and it's great they're doing that but what about the newer comics?

Those need boxedsets as well, and it's great they do that. Just as you're a fan of the older characters, I'm more into the newer-gen costume designs/persona, cause' that is what I've grown up with. Not saying Avengers, Champions, etc aren't great sets.

I'm glad that we're getting the Civil War era Thunderbolts. I really liked the run, and I doubt we'd get these characters in these costumes if they held off on the Thunderbolts for another year or two. Good to get them while they're still kinda relevant.

That said, let's get some more classic Thunderbolts members (Songbird, Mach IV, Atlas, Moonstone, Zemo, and Fixer are probably my top six). Please, DST? Pretty please?

All the complaints taken into account... frankly... I think Gargan Venom is my favorite one...

Of all the Venom variants out there, Gargan is one of the only ones I actually want. I like his look better than Movie Venom, Powerhouse 5-Pack Venom & the Transformation Venom Minimates.

I'm glad to get Penance and Radioactive Man, because I always like new characters. This is not, however, my prefered look for Radioactive Man, so he's left me with lukewarm feelings.

Norman I could have done without completely. All I want is his head, to put on my new "Villains" set Green Goblin. His body is lame. I'd have prefered Songbird.

As for the Dark Avengers set...

(Are there any pictures of it yet?)

THIS is the Gargan I could have done without... as Spider-Man... he looks exactly the same as Parker in the Black Suit, which we already have 2 versions of... if the only difference is the face under his mask, this is a figure we REALLY didn't need...

Iron Patriot I like. Glad they included him.

Daken is a lame character who I've never liked (and I'm a HUGE X-Men fan). The last thing we needed was another Wolverine knock-off, especially so soon after the debut of X-23, who is essentially the same rough concept as Daken, but with boobies. Same goes for Minimates, the last thing we needed was another Wolverine. And I have the same problem with him as I do with Gargan's Spider-Man... he'll look essentially the same, but with an "Evil" face under the mask...

Marvel Boy, I know very little about as a character, but I guess he was a decent choice, since he's a newbie to the minimate world.

But I (like many) think this set would have been way better off with Ms. Marvel & Ares instead of "Evil" Spider-Man & Wolverine... but I suppose they put those two in because they'll look more appealing to your average dumb kid who doesn't know they're "Evil" and make Diamond more money. *Shrug*

(Don't get me wrong, I love Diamond and their products... but you can't honestly tell me you don't think the only reason those two were included WASN'T sales...)

Edited by Gillbob316

Norman I could have done without completely. All I want is his head, to put on my new "Villains" set Green Goblin. His body is lame. I'd have prefered Songbird.

Plus we're probably going to get a Norman head with the Iron Patriot fig, so, yeah, Songbird would've been way better.

Same goes for Minimates, the last thing we needed was another Wolverine. And I have the same problem with him as I do with Gargan's Spider-Man... he'll look essentially the same, but with an "Evil" face under the mask...

Though I haven't seen these yet, for a character who has been released so many times in Minimate form, I think an improved update over one of the two most iconic outfits of this character was well overdue. Personally, this is my favorite Wolverine outfit, and so I'm looking forward to it. Now, if it were another mask-less Wolverine in a wife-beater, I would agree.

Not really digging this set. A set with the more iconic Thunderbolts like Songbird, Mach #, Atlas, or Zemo etc would have been more my cup of tea. In a few years, Radioactive man will be back to his normal look, Penance wiil be back to being Speedball or is killed, and Norman will be the psycho goblin again.

I guess I've been spoiled by the past box sets. Invaders, Avengers #1, Defenders and Champions were more up my alley. This seems like it is taking advantage of a flash in the pan gimmick instead of getting us characters we've known for years.

Pretty much sums-up why this is a pass for me.

if the only difference is the face under his mask, this is a figure we REALLY didn't need...

Is it possible their won't be a face under his mask?.... or rather their won't be a 'mask'

The Thunderbolts Venom looks to not be wearing a mask, the Venom face is printed on his head-block.

Maybe Spider-man will be the same and this will be a 'loophole' figure to get a Black Costume Spider-man rerelease without a slide-on mask/battle damage/etc looking as close to a wave 2 variant update as possible without breaking the "no variant rerelease" rule since they can say "this isn't a rerelease. this is Mac Gargan Spider-man, not Peter Parker Spider-man..."