UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Charitymates 3: Everyone loves a trilogy...

Fujis

I have diabetes. And a degenerative spinal disease. And I know a couple of people with MS.

My mother had MS for about 12 years before dying from it. It is a horrible, horrible disease that can really take everything from a person (including their dignity) over several years. No one deserves to go through that (even Montel Williams doesn't).

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have diabetes. And a degenerative spinal disease. And I know a couple of people with MS.

My mother had MS for about 12 years before dying from it. It is a horrible, horrible disease that can really take everything from a person (including their dignity) over several years. No one deserves to go through that (even Montel Williams doesn't).

Well.....maybe Montel.

I've been having fun for the past 14 years with Degenerative disc disease. Lots of pain, mobility problems, and the very good possibility that I'm going to be in a wheelchair within the next 5-10 years. I love not having health insurance lol

And my sincere condolences to you about your mother Gh.

Edited by Docholliday666

And just an FYI about Crisis Pregnancy Centers. They are not just a pro-life organization, but offer counseling and support for mothers who are undecided about what to do with an unwanted pregnancy. They offer all sorts of services, clothing, bedding, food and counseling to anyone, free of charge. Not that this thread is about something controversial, but I just wanted to point out that they are not an organization just promoting an agenda, but are people who want to help other people when they're in a hard situation with difficult choices. I think this might be why TM2 suggested it (although he can say if I've missed his point).

Thanks for pointing that out!

I am pro choice, even though my choice is no abortions ever, so I could not get behind something like a prolife cause. I liked Fuji's idea of people who have changed the world but instead of the Carbon Fund I feel the money should go to Amnesty International. It's a world wide human rights organization and I think that is something we could all get behind.

I like that idea. I really loved Fuji's suggestion to customize those people and AI fits pretty well here.

On the other hand, I guess customizing more popular characters might sell better on eBay, which means we'd have more money to give away in the end.

I'm going to stay aboard this thread & will try to not offend anyone ,it will be difficult. Despite being a lapsed blood-donor & a carnivore it did not influence my purchase of Charitymates in the past & I doubt that any designated charity will influence my purchases this year. Fujis will correct me if I'm wrong but 90% of Charitymates are sold to Forum members so WTF should we care whether 'our' charity is 100% PC for ebay?

Bloody Hell this is fun ,it's a fun competition which benefits someone ....anyone. We've all had, or got ,or going to get tragedy in our lives...that's life . Make sure you know I'm not belittling anything anybody has said but come on guys let's dwell on the good reasons behind this & worry about the beneficiary later.

So if I've offended anyone....Sorry..... but it needed saying.

I like that idea. I really loved Fuji's suggestion to customize those people and AI fits pretty well here.

On the other hand, I guess customizing more popular characters might sell better on eBay, which means we'd have more money to give away in the end.

Maybe we could do fantastic versions of great people.

Maybe we could do fantastic versions of great people.

If anyone needs my picture to do a mate of me, just let me know :)

Fujis will correct me if I'm wrong but 90% of Charitymates are sold to Forum members so WTF should we care whether 'our' charity is 100% PC for ebay?

The bulk of the customs are purchased by forum members it seems. And the choice of the charity needn't be PC so to speak, only one that's registered with eBay Giving Works (which makes listing them oh so much easier).

As for the charity of choice, I would like to keep things as international and as secular as possible - I don't want the Charitymates project to become a vehicle for a certain viewpoint - other than a viewpoint of giving from socially-aware Minimate customizers! :D

Any more ideas out there on charities and themes for the customs? I'm liking Amnesty International, War Child International, or maybe even Doctors without Borders...

Edited by Fujis

TM2, thats a little too controversial for a collectors site. Before your post, I didn't care to know your stance on abortion, and frankly, I still don't. I have my beliefs and I do not try to impose them on others. Religion and politics are two taboo topics here and I'd kinda like to avoid them even in this case.

However, I welcome discussion with Fujis if he decides to go this route.

So I think Luke's idea for a theme of classic characters from literature (and in the public domain) is a good one to run with, as well as his choice of name. I would like to support a different charity however, as Books for Kids has support from some major players like Starbucks and Sesame Street and, from what I can tell, only operates in the States.

Keeping the 'international' appeal I'd like to suggest:

Charitymates III: The Mind's Eye - supporting Education Across Borders or The World Library Partnership

Luke: Can you compile a list of 20 or so characters that would fit into your theme (like the one you posted for the 'Monsters for Blood' project) so people can have a better idea of the available characters?

Edited by Fujis

Any more ideas out there on charities and themes for the customs? I'm liking Amnesty International, War Child International, or maybe even Doctors without Borders...

I like all three of the organisations you've mentioned there Fujis. If I had to choose one though, it'd probably be War Child.

So I think Luke's idea for a theme of classic characters from literature (and in the public domain) is a good one to run with, as well as his choice of name. I would like to support a different charity however, as Books for Kids has support from some major players like Starbucks and Sesame Street and, from what I can tell, only operates in the States.

Charitymates III: The Mind's Eye - supporting Education Across Borders or The World Library Partnership

Luke: Can you compile a list of 20 or so characters that would fit into your theme (like the one you posted for the 'Monsters for Blood' project) so people can have a better idea of the available characters?

i kind of don't get it, what is our theme and who do we make,because if this charity is for children,wouldnt they love cartoon minimates?i dont know its just my opinion

Edited by clayface1

i kind of don't get it, what is our theme and who do we make,because if this charity is for children,wouldnt they love cartoon minimates?i dont know its just my opinion

The theme that is being suggested is characters from literature like Tom Sawyer, Captain Ahab, King Arthur, etc.

We can't make cartoon characters if they're based on a property that is owned and licensed by a company. If we made characters from Bleach or Ben 10 or Mucha Lucha we could get sued. The characters we make have to be either our own creation or based on characters in the public domain, meaning no one owns the rights to them.

The theme that is being suggested is characters from literature like Tom Sawyer, Captain Ahab, King Arthur, etc.

We can't make cartoon characters if they're based on a property that is owned and licensed by a company. If we made characters from Bleach or Ben 10 or Mucha Lucha we could get sued. The characters we make have to be either our own creation or based on characters in the public domain, meaning no one owns the rights to them.

OK

does charlie and the chocolate factory count?because if so ,then i call willy wonka :biggrin:

I think those charities would also be excellent choices. :)

Per your request, here are a list of the most colorful literary characters I could think of that are in the public domain. I tried to stay away from horror-based literary characters like Dracula, since we visited those characters in the first Charitymates. You will see from this list that I am mostly familiar with "western" literature, so I am not well versed on middle-eastern and eastern characters, outside of those which have been Disneyfied. Also, most of these characters have later been adapted into TV and film, and we should stress that this event should be unique versions of the character based on what you see in your own mind's eye.

1. Tom Sawyer
  2. Captain Ahab (Moby Dick)
  3. King Arthur (The Once and Future King)
  4. Long John Silver (Treasure Island)
  5. Scrooge (A Christmas Tale)
  6. Quasimodo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
  7. Captain Hook (Peter and Wendy)
  8. Macbeth (Shakespeare)
  9. Tarzan
  10. Hercules (Euripides)
  11. Aladdin (Aladdin and his Magic Lamp)
  12. Odysseus (The Odyssey)
  13. Achilles (The Illiad)
  14. Venus/Aphrodite (The Illiad)
  15. Sherlock Holmes
  16. Alice (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)
  17. Beowulf
  18. Robin Hood
  19. Dorothy, The Lion, The Scarecrow, The Tin Man (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

Edit: Fixed Sherlock Holmes per Mr. Picky BHM :P

Also remember you do not have to pick from this list, it is just a few suggestions. In fact, there are plenty of colorful characters within the stories listed here that I did not list, such as Little John and Huckleberry Finn.

Edited by luke314pi

Per your request, here are a list of the most colorful literary characters I would think of that are in the public domain. I tried to stay away from horror-based literary characters like Dracula, since we visited those characters in the first Charitymates. You will see from this list that I am mostly familiar with "western" literature, so I am not well versed on middle-eastern and eastern characters, outside of those which have been Disneyfied. Also, most of these characters have later been adapted into TV and film, and we should stress that this event should be unique versions of the character based on what you see in your own mind's eye.

1. Tom Sawyer
  2. Captain Ahab (Moby Dick)
  3. King Arthur (The Once and Future King)
  4. Long John Silver (Treasure Island)
  5. Scrooge (A Christmas Tale)
  6. Quasimodo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
  7. Captain Hook (Peter and Wendy)
  8. Macbeth (Shakespeare)
  9. Tarzan
  10. Hercules (Euripides)
  11. Aladdin (Aladdin and his Magic Lamp)
  12. Odysseus (The Odyssey)
  13. Achilles (The Illiad)
  14. Venus/Aphrodite (The Illiad)
  15. Sherlock Homes
  16. Alice (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)
  17. Beowulf
  18. Robin Hood
  19. Dorothy, The Lion, The Scarecrow, The Tin Man (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

I think you'll find that anything 'Dickens' is Pd as is most 'Shakespeare'........

Sherlock Homes is a property developer whilst Sherlock Holmes is "elementary my dear Luke"

I had dibs on Homer Simpson which is not public 'd'oh' main.... :(

Edited by buttheadsmate

i call quasimodo, ill make him look friendly :biggrin:

I'd like to encourage people to stay away from the 'monster' characters as we've already covered this theme of customs in the first project two years ago.

:blink: um is there anyway i could do someone like captin nemo

If you mean Captain Nemo from Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island then yes, you can not only do someone like him; you can do him.

So I think Luke's idea for a theme of classic

How does everyone else feel about Education Across Borders or The World Library Partnership? I think either would work with our current theme of characters from literature.

Edited by Fujis

How does everyone else feel about Education Across Borders or The World Library Partnership? I think either would work with our current theme of characters from literature.

those sound fantastic! count me in. :D

Damn i wanted Nemo, oh well ill have to figure out someone else.

I call Dibs on "the cat in the hat"

Edited by Mattallica

Sounds good to me as well Fujis. Count me in for CM3.

BTW if we can choose our own literary character, I choose Queequeg from Moby Dick.

Edited by MINI_MYTE