UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters Minimates-Movies

Those new GB mates look fantastic. My only lament is that the new sculpted pieces are so specific to Ghostbusters that it will be tough to use them for any customs. I love Egon's suit, but it has those straps on it (and likely the proton pack glued on back), killing its ease of use for, say a Rupert Giles quick custom...

Oh well, minor quibble for such a great wave!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those new GB mates look fantastic. My only lament is that the new sculpted pieces are so specific to Ghostbusters that it will be tough to use them for any customs. I love Egon's suit, but it has those straps on it (and likely the proton pack glued on back), killing its ease of use for, say a Rupert Giles quick custom...

Oh well, minor quibble for such a great wave!

I had the same thought as well - so many new, unique sculpted pieces and no idea how to reuse them easily. With all the unique pieces, I'm wondering if some of the figures weren't meant to be a fourth box set, but they decided to give them to TRU instead.

And since they don't seem done with Ghostbusters yet, an Ecto-1 vehicle seems a lot more likely for a future release.

As I think about these a bit more, it seems almost surprising to release all of the big hitters from GB 2 in one Toys R Us wave like this. Maybe they are in talks to do figures based on Ghosbusters 3 or the animated series, but there aren't many big characters left from the first two films (though the missing GB 1 Janine is almost criminal). I know there are minor characters and ghosts here or there we could get, but Viggo, Egon in his GB2 suit, the Scolari Bros, and the other guys in their court suits just about wrap up the major, lingering figures don't they?

Seems like they could figure out a way to milk this a bit longer, but maybe it is better to quit while they're ahead, and not risk these pegs warming once this wave of Ghostbusters nostalgia passes.

Edited by karamazov80

And where's the love for the Titanic Captain? That's the coolest Minimate hat ever.

I'm all for the Titanic Captain. As a character, he's got plenty of story outside of GBs. As a figure... heck, who doesn't want a Mr Howell custom!

I'm not one to second guess DST's line up, but I'm shocked Janosz didn't make the cut (and surprised no one else has commented). He's my favorite guest character from that film.

I believe there are still enough characters that could be done to make another wave, but they aren't the big ones anyone would need. There's Janine, unpossessed Dana and Luis, Janosz, Winston and Ray in normal clothes, Peter in his orange jacket, etc. they could make more, but there'd have to be some pretty cool ghosts to go with them to make it work.

I believe there are still enough characters that could be done to make another wave, but they aren't the big ones anyone would need. There's Janine, unpossessed Dana and Luis, Janosz, Winston and Ray in normal clothes, Peter in his orange jacket, etc. they could make more, but there'd have to be some pretty cool ghosts to go with them to make it work.

True, but these are all pretty bland characters that many folks could live without. Winston, Ray, and Louis in normal clothes or Peter in an orange jacket don't sound particularly appealing to me personally. Sure, being packed with ghosts could move sets, but my point is that they could have staggered the release of the characters coming in this wave, which would have made the more "boring" releases (Janosz, Winston in normal clothes, or whatever) packed with some of them easier for collectors to swallow, in anticipation of the remaining "big time" characters. Now, all the main ghosts and looks from GB 2 will have been released.

Edited by karamazov80

I think they may be overly cautious because the have had so many misses recently (BSG, T2, Wolvie: Origins), and they don't want to assume that past success means future success is forthcoming. But personally, I feel the Ghosbusters Minimates are really hot right now and still have some real legs. Maybe not, though, and of course, if we never got the Scolari Brothers or GB2 Egon because they were holding out for an additional wave and this next one (without them) didn't sell, we would all be complaining/despairing (self included :lol: ).

Edited by karamazov80

Going a bit backwards in the discussion, I just got around to pulling out my "original" clear Slimer to compare it to the new one and was surprised to find a few more differences than just the food tampo. The first and most obvious difference being that the new one has a clear stand. Also, the new one seems to be slightly darker than the original and has a smaller face. Here's a side-by-side pic for comparison:

post-1173-1263579696_thumb.jpg

Some more differences between the original Clear Slimer release and the new refreshed version is the clear head on the new one with no hole and the original version has a green head with a hole in the top. The face tampo on the old version is definitely larger. Also, the chest piece on the new version is a darker green.

P1010006_editedSmall.jpg

P1010005_editedSmall.jpg

There are more figures for them to make if needed. I would love to get a Ray and Winston with slime cannons, i'm sure they could also release some generic ghosts similar to the Washington Square ghost that looked nothing like it did in the movie.

So maybe wave 4:

Slime Cannon Ray/Janosz

Slime Cannon Winston/GB1 Janine

Pink Slime Covered GB2 Ray/Unpossesed Dana (and Oscar of course)lol

Hard Hat Peter/Generic Ghost

That way we get more of the supporting cast.

However, I do reckon Wave 3 could be the last. Quit while they're ahead may be the thinking.

Hopefully not though :biggrin: