UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Minimates cancelled

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I was wrong about the T2 mates....looks like they are coming out. which is great they look good.

Having said that, I can not imagine we will see more than the 1 wave and singles. For the BSG rule... after you get one set, all the characters look the same...sarah in battle gear, sarah in hospital pj's etc.

Granted I dont watch BSG (tried and honestly, didn't like it) but the last 3 sets are just people boring, i can see why they didnt sell. I mean the figures they are making arent they figures of mates that have already been released? (asking because i dont keep up with them)

HK

The total figures that would help to 'finish' the line properly & be commercially successful would be six. You are absolutely correct in saying that the latterly-prospective 'variants' of issued figures could & should be dropped .

seriously 3 packs (from a box set and 2 waves) are all you need to finish the line? wow I can definitely see why they cancelled them. I can definitely see your point about changing gears and making a boxset only.

However, knowing in 9 weeks the series is gone, do you think they could mock up new packaging specs, release production, and get orders solicited....before this program is not economically viable.

I would imagine DST , saw the lack of pre orders, and said ok interest is gone. If someone said...but they only need six to round out the series...wouldn't DST say "thats nice, but we are in this to make a profit, now what new marvel movie is coming out?"

Honestly, it wouldn't be the first time that a company cancelled a wave, reworked the product to make it more viable and attmepted a re-sollicit. After all of the work done on these figures, it would be a shame to have all of them go to waste. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them incorporate a few Cylons (armored centurians) into anything they release as these would be more comercially viable to the non-fan. Also, MOC, it should be noted that BSG isn't done with the final 9 episodes - SciFi has already green-lighted the BSG prequel series Caprica, that will deal with the Adama family and the rise of the Cylons. While the show won't continue as current, the universe is far from dead......

Yep I was wrong about the T2 mates....looks like they are coming out. which is great they look good.

Having said that, I can not imagine we will see more than the 1 wave and singles. For the BSG rule... after you get one set, all the characters look the same...sarah in battle gear, sarah in hospital pj's etc.

Granted I dont watch BSG (tried and honestly, didn't like it) but the last 3 sets are just people boring, i can see why they didnt sell. I mean the figures they are making arent they figures of mates that have already been released? (asking because i dont keep up with them)

HK

The total figures that would help to 'finish' the line properly & be commercially successful would be six. You are absolutely correct in saying that the latterly-prospective 'variants' of issued figures could & should be dropped .

seriously 3 packs (from a box set and 2 waves) are all you need to finish the line? wow I can definitely see why they cancelled them. I can definitely see your point about changing gears and making a boxset only.

However, knowing in 9 weeks the series is gone, do you think they could mock up new packaging specs, release production, and get orders solicited....before this program is not economically viable.

I would imagine DST , saw the lack of pre orders, and said ok interest is gone. If someone said...but they only need six to round out the series...wouldn't DST say "thats nice, but we are in this to make a profit, now what new marvel movie is coming out?"

Honestly, it wouldn't be the first time that a company cancelled a wave, reworked the product to make it more viable and attmepted a re-sollicit. After all of the work done on these figures, it would be a shame to have all of them go to waste. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them incorporate a few Cylons (armored centurians) into anything they release as these would be more comercially viable to the non-fan. Also, MOC, it should be noted that BSG isn't done with the final 9 episodes - SciFi has already green-lighted the BSG prequel series Caprica, that will deal with the Adama family and the rise of the Cylons. While the show won't continue as current, the universe is far from dead......

but the universe doesn't sell anymore....jesus.

you guys live in denial...I think I will go to the SF2 thread to get a breath of fresh air.

you guys live in denial...

Hope, I live in hope . Try it sometime it annoys the absolute f*ck out of people. Denial is one heavy ol' word to be used about another person's acceptance . Tell me please ,calmly ....do you ever read what people actually post ?

all the time beavis, all the time

I wont go into saying what has already been said. i will just say I can see why they were pulled

whether they repost them or not...if that gives you hope than please hold on to it.

Edited by murderofcrows

you guys live in denial...

Hope, I live in hope . Try it sometime it annoys the absolute f*ck out of people. Denial is one heavy ol' word to be used about another person's acceptance . Tell me please ,calmly ....do you ever read what people actually post ?

all the time beavis, all the time

I wont go into saying what has already been said. i will just say I can see why they were pulled

whether they repost them or not...if that gives you hope than please hold on to it.

Um, not to cause a stir or anything, and heaven knows most of my posts are random and do not contribute, but what would you even write something like this? Are you having a bad day? Did your goldfish die? Grounded again? This is a community where we celebrate Minimates, and I guess if you're not for us... Seriously if there's some deep dark reason you would write something like this, get help. Or go blow up a kubrick! I hate those f'ers! :biggrin:

So the speculation ends & the reality has set it in . No denial here!

But maybe some hope?? It did say they were going to display at toyfair

They did display the BSG ships last year in their large minimates diorama display case. People still showed no interest. I feel like this is going to turn into Street Fighter :(

So the speculation ends & the reality has set it in . No denial here!

But maybe some hope?? It did say they were going to display at toyfair

I'd guess if they're showing anything at Toy Fair, I'll be some sort of box set that releases the remaining Cylons (that's what? 5? 6? Perfect for a box set).

Edited by boyd

There are seven more cylons plus that stellar looking Three. If those made it out, I'd be ok with where the line ends. The boxset and wave 5 would have really capped the line. Wave 6 was icing. Of course, now anything we get would be icing. BBTS had the sets listed as February for the Boxset and March for the waves. I don't know how correct that was, but it seems if they couldn't get picked up to sell right in the peak of the final season, I dont see a way they will get picked up now. Sigh. No more anger, no more denial, no more bargaining.

Actually, they didn't get picked up in the peak of the final season, but in the middle of the break of the final season, not the peak. Preorders went away before it started back up. I think timing might have been a huge factor in all of this and hopefully resoliciting them at Toy Fair (close to when BSG is ending and the hype will be the biggest it will be for this series) will go better.

Edited by groundhog7s

Actually, they didn't get picked up in the peak of the final season, but in the middle of the break of the final season, not the peak. Preorders went away before it started back up. I think timing might have been a huge factor in all of this and hopefully resoliciting them at Toy Fair (close to when BSG is ending and the hype will be the biggest it will be for this series) will go better.

Sorry. What I was trying to say is that the release dates (not solicits) seemed to be in the peak of the final season, which would be a great time for a product to actually sell well. But you are right. There might be better luck soliciting when buzz is higher, even if the product won't get out until later. It's nice that DST will display them at Toy Fair, but I'm not counting on anything.

Edited by Turtle

While the "official" news is disappointing, at least there is a sliver of hope with the "on-hold" statement. I have enough faith in the strength of this show to believe that fan numbers will continue to grow plus there is a new series (Caprica) coming out (though I believe it has been pushed-back to 2010), so I don't think the the window-of-opportunity is completely shut just yet. Classic BSG (which I genuinely believe had much less support) was also put "on-hold" for a few years but eventually made it to production (I've personally bought 5 of each set with plans for more!), so I wouldn't discount the possibility of these eventually making it to market in some form or another (box sets would be a realistic possibility). I, for one, will continue to fight for these 'mates as I truly believe that this show is just that good and worthy of representation. For those who haven't been watching, I strongly recommend down-loading episodes as I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how wonderfully infectious this series is! 2 B)

I'm really gutted by this. BSG is my fav line and at last count I have 17 Cylons and 16 pilots. I really want those final cylons, but I loved the new pilot look. I was really looking forward to the New Caprica boxed set. I hate that they base it off pre-orders, cos I never preorder, and I'm sure many others dont either, so its fairly unrealistic. I would have bought all remaining figures, and some packs in multiple.

I'm sad now, but hopeful for toyfair.

Would it work to try and start showing interest to retailers to carry exclusive sets of these? Maybe there's not enough interest spread out over several companies, but if one retailer carried the New Caprica set or a repackaged version of wave 5 & 6 they'd be more likely to sell better for them (since they'd be the only one offering them). Just a thought. If enough of us tried to contact someone like AFX maybe they'd take a chance.

And yes, I do live in Fairytale Land.

Edited by groundhog7s

Would it work to try and start showing interest to retailers to carry exclusive sets of these? Maybe there's not enough interest spread out over several companies, but if one retailer carried the New Caprica set or a repackaged version of wave 5 & 6 they'd be more likely to sell better for them (since they'd be the only one offering them). Just a thought. If enough of us tried to contact someone like AFX maybe they'd take a chance.

And yes, I do live in Fairytale Land.

Or SciFi. They did the Cylon exclusive at SDCC last year, maybe they'd be game for more than a toe-dip in the water?

I'm really gutted by this. BSG is my fav line and at last count I have 17 Cylons and 16 pilots. I really want those final cylons, but I loved the new pilot look. I was really looking forward to the New Caprica boxed set. I hate that they base it off pre-orders, cos I never preorder, and I'm sure many others dont either, so its fairly unrealistic. I would have bought all remaining figures, and some packs in multiple.

I'm sad now, but hopeful for toyfair.

When I read the news I just knew that you'd be 'The Most Gutted' ...a shade more than me but only just.

I absolutely ,totally ,100% agree with you Dan, on this 'supposed' dependence on pre-orders & it's pseudo-importance. Perhaps the retailers have to? They may have to depend on something tangible but I'll tell them/you this, I buy a f*ck load of Minimates & I would never even Pre-order a sandwich in these deflationary times . Why would you?

DC had the right idea .....no variants ,little price cutting & see how it goes & DC Minimates are still the most price-stable Minimates you'll see *

*until from now on obviously :D

Well, i am glad to hear about them revealing a little something at Toyfair, which i may coerce my dad to go to. I love BSG and the minis, and as of now were my fav line (until those new unrevealed Marvel waves come out). I also was in love with the Cylon wave and the Ellen mate. Hopefully we get all of these, and in time for being close to the end of the show. And we should definitely hit up AFX of SciFi about an exclusive or two with the new pilot bodies in one and Lee/Romo pack (c'mon. I want a dead cat in a bag ;) ) or one with the new versions of Three and Natalie, the best repeats of the 2 waves and the box set in my opinion. And i love that D'anna A LOT.

And i really don't get why you all keep bringing up Caprica. Seriously, for one thing that is still probably a ways away; i doubtthat it'll be released within a month or two of BSG. Are you all forgeting that they are going to premiere that movie The Plan after the show finalizes?? I mean, what better way to release the Cylon wave (or probably now Boxset) than with a movie all about the Cylon's plan during the Miniseries?? I would think that'd sell good, and i don't see any mates being made or selling during Caprica for BSG OR Caprica. Just a thought, considering what's been happening minimates wise.

I could totally be wrong, but when DST talk about pre-orders not being there for any given solicit, I assume they're talking about the size of the orders put in by online and comic book stores -- not *our* individual set pre-orders from those retailers.

Our individual pre-orders would have to be beyond these stores' expected *total* sales (ie. the amount they're ordering) in order to sell out their pre-orders and send them back to DST seeking more. So to say "I never preorder, but I always buy what comes out" means that you're already in these retailers' expected sales -- even if you did suddenly preorder, it wouldn't impact those sales. Based on past waves, it's the expected total sales that aren't big enough, not the preorders we make through BBTS, AFX, etc.

I think.

Anyway, retailer exclusive box sets would be awesome, and it worked for the cancelled Target mates... I think the blog response had just enough cautious possibility for me not to give up on eventually getting that wicked New Caprica Starbuck, if not all the announced mates...

Edited by battlecat

And i really don't get why you all keep bringing up Caprica. Seriously, for one thing that is still probably a ways away; i doubtthat it'll be released within a month or two of BSG. Are you all forgeting that they are going to premiere that movie The Plan after the show finalizes?? I mean, what better way to release the Cylon wave (or probably now Boxset) than with a movie all about the Cylon's plan during the Miniseries?? I would think that'd sell good, and i don't see any mates being made or selling during Caprica for BSG OR Caprica. Just a thought, considering what's been happening minimates wise.

You'd probably never believe that "Classic BSG" 'mates would be made either (especially 25 years after the fact and no more of a tie-in than the New BSG, of which there is no comparison other than name), but here they are in my hands!

No all, just me! :P And you are correct, it is at least a year away. My point being that the Galactica Universe is not ending with just this series, and therefore has possibilities for renewed-interest (aka: media tie-in). That's not to say that there would (or wouldn't) be "Caprica" 'mates (I can't imagine that they'd be terribly interesting, though I'd probably buy them regardless), but it at least keeps BSG on the radar simply by association. Not knowing if there will be anything beyond Caprica, I at least feel that the plausible window-'o-opportunity (for Galactica merchandise in general) is still open between now and then. Without that flicker of light on the horizon, I would assess the odds as slim-to-none. Comprende? ;)

For all the broken-hearted, I might remind you that battles are never won by accepting defeat.

Edited by cdubya