UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Heroes and Villians Sets

Chronotrigger

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing the head size grew a little when they started putting a peg hole in the top... I actually like Magneto's shaggy dog hair though, so I won't be jamming that helmet on him anytime soon!

Kudos to DST for keeping Red Skull a simple design, he feels like a mate from a couple years back. (Don't get me wrong, I love the ever-increasing detail on newer mates too...)

Also, until I read the little bios on the box, I didn't pick up on the fact that this set has a Nazi war criminal and a Holocaust survivor in it -- strange combo. Anyone know if the characters have ever crossed paths in the comics?

Also, until I read the little bios on the box, I didn't pick up on the fact that this set has a Nazi war criminal and a Holocaust survivor in it -- strange combo. Anyone know if the characters have ever crossed paths in the comics?

Oh yes - during the Acts of Vengeance back in the early 90's. After realizing who he was, Magneto takes Red Skull down for his war crimes in Captain America #367. It's a wonderful confrontation of the Skull being hopelessly outclassed by Magneto and trying every trick he has to survive.

Great issues of Captain America back then - I loved them growing up (I still like them now).

I think Mags and Red Skull also had a confrontation somewhere in the Super Villain Team-Up title of the 1970's which you can read in "Essential Super Villain Team-Up vol. 1" put out by Marvel.

My Mags hand was painted into the arm. Tried to twist it, hand peg broke right off in the arm. Watch out if yours' is a little tight, too.

Minimate heads have definitely gotten bigger over time. I first noticed this when I decided to put my J. Jonah Jameson mask on a different body to have both him and the Chameleon. The mask was slightly too small for newer mates; there was a little sliver of the head underneath showing. It wasn't until I stuck the mask on an older head that it worked right. Dunno if it has anything to do with the hole in the head, though.

I bought the villains set yesterday; it's worth it for the Skull and the Goblin but the other two are a bit of a disappointment. Magneto's helmet is a bit inexcusable in my eyes; if I were a new collector buying this as a starter set (DST's stated goal with these sets), I'd be very unimpressed by that. Doom is a nice repaint of the figure I thought most needed to be redone, but they didn't correct the things I think are most lacking of the figure (the cape and skirt), so it's a wash. The redone Goblin is perfect, though.

BTW, I don't know if anyone else has done this or mentioned it, but I took the boots off the original GG and stuck them on the new one (I'd already taken the old one apart for a Silver Age Brainiac I'm working on, so it worked out well). They fit absolutely perfectly. In fact, the purple of the boots matches much better with the purple of the new figure then the original (I wonder if they planned that...). Anyway, I know that some people hate those clunky extra boots, but I like 'em. He doesn't feel like the Goblin to me without curly feet.

Thanks for the info guys, those stories sound interesting, I'll have to try and dig them up at the library at some point...

I like the old Gobby's huge feet too, but I find they go better with his more cartoony face and less detailed look... The old Goblin is one of those very early mates that look kinda wrong alongside newer figures, but is still great in his own way. Same goes for that first Venom, with the wrap-around mouth -- I love that mate, even though the latest Venom we got was much more accurate, and definitely looks better standing next to all the other Spidey villains...

Minimate heads have definitely gotten bigger over time. I first noticed this when I decided to put my J. Jonah Jameson mask on a different body to have both him and the Chameleon. The mask was slightly too small for newer mates; there was a little sliver of the head underneath showing. It wasn't until I stuck the mask on an older head that it worked right. Dunno if it has anything to do with the hole in the head, though.

I'm not sure, but i have a feeling that Chameleon was released with a slightly smaller head (It's like a millimeter shorter than a standard head), so that when the slip mask went on, it didn't look too big. In fact, i probably read that here somewhere. :P

I'm not sure, but i have a feeling that Chameleon was released with a slightly smaller head (It's like a millimeter shorter than a standard head), so that when the slip mask went on, it didn't look too big. In fact, i probably read that here somewhere. :P

First of all don't believe everything you read here.

Chameleon was not released with a slightly smaller head :no: .....the SDCC exclusive 'buttheadsmate Minimate' will however have the correct size (big) head which as of this morning is still looking GOOD! :yes:

I love him. :yucky:

If I understand correctly, Spiderman, Cap and Magneto's masks DON"T have posts in them, but the heads still have holes in them, is that correct?

Their masks don't have pegs, but all their hair pieces do.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

BTW, I don't know if anyone else has done this or mentioned it, but I took the boots off the original GG and stuck them on the new one (I'd already taken the old one apart for a Silver Age Brainiac I'm working on, so it worked out well). They fit absolutely perfectly. In fact, the purple of the boots matches much better with the purple of the new figure then the original (I wonder if they planned that...). Anyway, I know that some people hate those clunky extra boots, but I like 'em. He doesn't feel like the Goblin to me without curly feet.

I did the same :P My goblin needs to have some pointy boots. I kept the pumpkin bomb hand too, although it doesn't match the new gauntlet that well. It adds spice.

Got my in stock e-mail from BBTS and I have had other stuff in my pile of loot waiting for these two sets to come in so I could ship it all YES!!!!!!! I can't wait to get these sets since when I saw the TRU sets a few weeks back and had to hold back from buying them I have been very impatient waiting for these so they better get to me quick!

I did the same :P My goblin needs to have some pointy boots. I kept the pumpkin bomb hand too, although it doesn't match the new gauntlet that well. It adds spice.

I tried that out, but I just didn't like it as much. I do miss the pumpkin bomb hand, though. Sigh.

I picked these up today at the comic book store, and I'm generally very pleased with them. I didn't have any serious issues getting Cap and Magneto's respective mask/helmet pieces on.

Must say, these are two great sets worth of Mates. I absolutely love the Spidey just because of the great paint apps, as in the blue (great color this time around)-to-red ratio, but i hate the face and how the LCS mask is still larger than the TRU one.

Red Skull is still by far the best though. New character, Cap Villain, and incredible Minimate all-in-one?? How many times have we gotten those?! Well...never...it's a Cap villain. ;)

I agree with Two Face, the color on the new Spidey is great. The big head is the only major issue. I'm actually considering picking up a second set now, for another Cap and Spidey. They have both exceeded my expectations. Hulk is as bad as I thought, though.

I agree with Two Face, the color on the new Spidey is great. The big head is the only major issue. I'm actually considering picking up a second set now, for another Cap and Spidey. They have both exceeded my expectations. Hulk is as bad as I thought, though.

If you want another Spidey, i'd try to get my hands on a TRU one. When compared side-by-side, the TRU mask looks to naturally fitting and small. And Hulk did suck. A LOT. And did not fit with Dr. Doom. NEEDED HULK VILLAIN of an F4 member for this!! One thing i did like about the Hulk though was how far DST is going into detail. There was more detail under the hairline than i could have ever imagined, and i'm happy that they're going the extra mile here. :)