UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Book Talk

Hmm. I'm not up to date with the X-Men, but from what I know, Scott has gotten more and more militant and has been far too willing to cross some major moral lines. I wouldn't mind seeing him realize he has become like Magneto, step down and hand the reigns over to someone else... Cannonball, maybe? Let Scott disappear for a year or so in the Savage Land. That's always a good way to handle things. The School/Institute/Political Action Committee/Whatever can reform itself with a new vision under the leadership of whoever. After the new team (1) battles a couple of sentinels, (2) has an adventure involving an alternate future, and (3) gets involved in some Shiar space shenanigans, then Phoenix can return. Confused she starts to get into world-destroyer mode when Scott suddenly returns and, armed with the wisdom of a Savage Land sabbatical, he calms the Phoenix and returns to lead the X-Men. Also, Emma and Wolverine have begun a "relationship" and awkward hilarity ensues when the four must work as a team again. It's probably too original, but I think it could work.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've ever written about a comic book on this site, but Walking Dead #100 really was a solid read and great on many levels. I recommend picking up at least one of the covers.

If anyone else reads the comics let me know what you think.

SPOILERS:

Did anyone else notice there are 2 different gangs attacking? The gang attacking Rick's camp at dawn and Negan's group coming back in 1 week? Double Trouble for Rick!

Rick's lucky Rabbit Foot is now gone (I am sad to see) - and there is a heads up that #106 will be the true milestone and even more main character deaths. Who do you think is next?

Edited by highassroller

Pride of Bagdad was the bomb no doubt.

I guess the only reason I was more impacted by #100 was because I've been collecting/reading the comics since #1 first print, and when you read it that slowly you grow really attached to main characters. Maybe if I just read all the trades at once I would not care or hold onto any character that long, but for me this has been years of reading and yesterday I was blown away.

I can't help but feel like #106 might be the revenge of Rick. But I almost like this new set up too much to see Negan's group and the biker groups disband after only 6 issues. Can't wait to read the next issue!

i like to think of these bikers as what the bikers from the orignal dawn of the dead would have become, like way back with the helicopter crash the 2 victims 1 male (could be african american!) 1 female (could be blonde!) could be the 2 survivors from the same film

• 2 weeks later...

and there is a heads up that #106 will be the true milestone...

I think you totally misunderstood this comment, it was by Charlie Adlard (The whole thing is in quotes, including the #106 comment.) and he is refering to HIS 100th issue as he joined on issue #7. :rolleyes:

T.

• 2 months later...

I have recently picked up Avengers: Initiative vol. 4 Disassembled. In the scene where Hank Pym and the Wasp are having dinner, there is a panel with a few action figures on Hanks dresser. Two of those figures are Ant-Man and Wasp Minimates from the FA Avengers box set! Perhaps artist Steve Kurth is a fan?

I have recently picked up Avengers: Initiative vol. 4 Disassembled. In the scene where Hank Pym and the Wasp are having dinner, there is a panel with a few action figures on Hanks dresser. Two of those figures are Ant-Man and Wasp Minimates from the FA Avengers box set! Perhaps artist Steve Kurth is a fan?

Awesome! Pics?

• 2 months later...

I discovered forbidden planet yesterday and saw that they offer subscriptions from all comic companies.Here's a list a compilled:

spawn

invincible

superior spiderman

transformers regeneration one (does it feature the main characters or is it more eu?)

walking dead

deadpool

batman beyond unlimited

teenage mutant ninja turtles

hellboy in hell

batman

the new star wars ongoing

mass effect homeworlds

Is there anything i should add/remove? Also,if you have subscribed there,is the sub valid for the whole year or do i have to sub to them every month?

Edited by Kostisfire

Why do you have Batman listed twice?

so my current reading list is:

Marvel:

Amazing Spiderman- Now Superior Spiderman

Avengers

Uncanny Avengers (may drop)

Wolverine and the X-men (Favorite X-men since Whedon)

Hawkeye (Favorite series since, ever)

DC:

Batman (Scott Snyder is the man!)

Earth 2 (not actually that good, but i enjoy it)

Justice League (off and on)

Other:

American Vampire (Scott Snyder is THE man)

Hellboy In Hell

Future:

New Avengers

Superman (Scott Snyder)

Age of Ultron (however that gets distributed)

Why do you have Batman listed twice?

so my current reading list is:

Marvel:

Amazing Spiderman- Now Superior Spiderman

Avengers

Uncanny Avengers (may drop)

Wolverine and the X-men (Favorite X-men since Whedon)

Hawkeye (Favorite series since, ever)

DC:

Batman (Scott Snyder is the man!)

Earth 2 (not actually that good, but i enjoy it)

Justice League (off and on)

Other:

American Vampire (Scott Snyder is THE man)

Hellboy In Hell

Future:

New Avengers

Superman (Scott Snyder)

Age of Ultron (however that gets distributed)

Typo.I'm trying to test new waters and try more titles from other companies besides the big 2.Though i may add a bit more dc.And maybe xmen.

• 1 month later...

My subscriptions arrived today. Here are my thoughts:

Uncanny avengers (I ordered uncanny xmen but he mixed them up,oh well): I wasn't expecting much because I don't really like the roster but the pacing and story were really good! I can't wait to see where this goes.

Scarlet spider: awesome. Just freaking awesome!

Batman:I like the horror and mystery aspect Snyder took. One of the best books out there.

Superior Spider-Man: it started really good and I'm really excited to see where this is going.

Flash:it was short and ended quickly but I'll wait a bit more to see if I'll cancel it or not.

Deadpool: lots of fun! A great comic!

Green lantern: right now it's amongst my favorite comics.

Spawn: it's more of a spy/crime thriller than a superhero book. At first glance you find it boring but if you read it a second time you'll see that it's a bit more deeper than the classic super hero book.

I had venom in my list but he didn't send it to me. Strange. I may change my list next month. I'll see.

These are not part of my sub but I got them due to minijeff's cover project:

Thor: just....plain....awesomeness! The art is spectacular and the story is engaging! I might drop something and add this to my list.

Hulk: the art is gorgeous. Spectacular. Magnificent. It's a mix of anime and classic comics. I might add this to my pull list too.

Edited by Kostisfire

• 4 months later...

I've been catching up some comics i missed while i was on hiatus during the early-mid 2000's.
Wow - there is some utter dross from that era. People rag on the 90's a fair bit.... but some of the Uncanny X-Men stuff from the following decade is a great deal worse.

I've also just read the Fall of the Mutants hardcover, which has restored my faith in the x-men a bit. I found it far more enjoyable than most of the 00's junk. Perhaps it was just my nostalgia for the characters that made it more enjoyable (although, this is the first time i've actually read FOTM)

And... i'm a bit ashamed to admit this, as a Phoenix fan, but i really did not care for Phoenix: Endsong. Greg Lands art just did not feel right for any of the characters.
Wikipedia claims that it was well received:

The series was very popular, and "surprised many readers with its nuance and depth."

But i thought the writing felt pretty unnatural; important moments weren't really given a chance to land; many characters didn't really have much to do.
It seems like someone over at Marvel created this 'event' to try and cement Emma as the love of Cykes life, rather than let it evolve organically at a steady pace with years of fine story telling.

Has anyone else read this? Am i missing the point?

Edited by Nessex

As for what I pull:

Marvel: Uncanny X-men, All New X-men, Adjectiveless X-men, Uncanny Avengers, Cable and the X-Force, Superior Spider Man, Scarlet Spider, New Avengers, and Hawkeye(which I'm dropping after this last issue)

DC: dropped batman, and just kept Batwoman and Phantom stranger.