UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Book Talk

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolverine's an Avenger, right? I say, kill him off. For good.

I think Claremont's already doing that in his revisionist 'X-Men Forever' thing...

Heh. He did. And if he comes back in XMF, it'll be as a villain probably. Clairmont wanted to do that a LONG time ago, but the crossovers got in the way (as they are apt to do).

However, X-Men Forever, though promising in the beginning, is becoming a little... unfortunately unexciting. Loved the first arc... after that it lost me.

What? Claremont starting strong but taking too darn long to get the plot moving enough for you to care? Unheard of. :rolleyes:

What? Claremont starting strong but taking too darn long to get the plot moving enough for you to care? Unheard of. :rolleyes:

Oddly enough he didn't have this problem in like, the first year of his original run. Hell, first two years if the Essential X-Men trades are indicators. So... Seems like he's just slacking now.

Oddly enough he didn't have this problem in like, the first year of his original run. Hell, first two years if the Essential X-Men trades are indicators. So... Seems like he's just slacking now.

I think that certain combinations are better than the sum of their parts. Claremont and Byrne together hit on a creative spark that made some of their best work when they were working together. Even after they split, their work was initially stronger than it is now. Claremont seems become a collection of cliché's repeated over and over. And something has happened, something almost broke when he quit/was fired from the X-books the first time and his writing is just not the same. Some sparks when lost cannot be recaptured.

Byrne... John Byrne has written and drawn some of my favorite comics ever. But he's become a lot like George Lucas in that he's bought into his own reputation as a genius to his own detriment. Like Lucas, he really needs someone around with the stones to say "that's a bad idea" from time to time. But being Byrne means never being told you're wrong, or you just take your ball and go home.

Byrne's X-Men and Fantastic Four work are among my favorite comics I've ever read. I enjoyed his work on Superman, as well, but in the 90s his art style got increasingly rough to the point where it just made me sad to look at it.

To continue my tongue-in-cheek coverage of the so-okay-it's-average-and-probably-won't-make-a-difference-in-the-long-run Siege event, I am highly amused by the recent AN AVENGER WILL DIE! solicitations. It's practically an empty threat, but it does make for a fun exercise speculating which of the New/Mighty/Dark Avengers might take a brief holiday in fluffy cloud limbo.

And now we know.

Sentry

rips

Ares

in half. Not surprised by who did the killing, just who was killed. Or more accurately, that this person died so quickly in the story. Sort of figured this person had a bullseye on their back after their actions over the past year. (no pun intended) Not breathing a sigh of relief yet. I will be shocked if this is the only death in all this.

(

And really, since Ares is an Olympian, not a an Asgardian, he's a true immortal and cannot die outside of true Olympus. Ripping him in two, while dramatic and disgusting, should not be enough to kill Ares. Not that I expect a hot shot like Bendis to take the time to have learned that before he wrote it.

)

To continue my tongue-in-cheek coverage of the so-okay-it's-average-and-probably-won't-make-a-difference-in-the-long-run Siege event, I am highly amused by the recent AN AVENGER WILL DIE! solicitations. It's practically an empty threat, but it does make for a fun exercise speculating which of the New/Mighty/Dark Avengers might take a brief holiday in fluffy cloud limbo.

And now we know.

Sentry

rips

Ares

in half. Not surprised by who did the killing, just who was killed. Or more accurately, that this person died so quickly in the story. Sort of figured this person had a bullseye on their back after their actions over the past year. (no pun intended) Not breathing a sigh of relief yet. I will be shocked if this is the only death in all this.

(

And really, since Ares is an Olympian, not a an Asgardian, he's a true immortal and cannot die outside of true Olympus. Ripping him in two, while dramatic and disgusting, should not be enough to kill Ares. Not that I expect a hot shot like Bendis to take the time to have learned that before he wrote it.

)

Trekker FTW! Totally predicted this! TOTALLY! Except I didn't care who did the killing. Predicted it!

Claremont blows.

End of story.

Maybe once upon a time he wrote a good story, but that was a whole millenia ago.

THIS! He seriously messed up Exiles. I'll never forgive him for that.

Speaking of Siege:

When in continuity does Daken stab Norman through the head?

This is getting confusing-- Although, that's not very new for Marvel, is it?

Edited by Nekoi

(

)

I actually kinda assumed that was why Bendis picked him, since it's one

"death" that won't require a retcon to undo down the line. Also because the scene was less about killing someone and more about showing everyone in the 616 what a psycho Sentry has become.

I'm finding Siege a fun ride so far, but thank god it's not dragging on for 8 issues like most Bendisvents!

Speaking of Siege:

Something about that whole issue... I wonder how much was real, and how much was in the main character's head? Could be wrong, but that's the impression I came away with. But then something about

Daken

tires me, so...

Speaking of Siege:

Something about that whole issue... I wonder how much was real, and how much was in the main character's head? Could be wrong, but that's the impression I came away with. But then something about

Daken

tires me, so...

Let's hope so. Otherwise things are going to get messed up. Badly.

His existence? <_<

I am always annoyed when someone like

Daken

comes along and is pushed as cooler than everything that's comes before. Like whipping an established team of vets single handed, which this person has done.

Yeah, but Wolverine is still on the main team. Which would mean he's on two teams on two different coasts, one of those teams supporting multiple line up variations which he's inexplicably always a part of for multiple adventures every month, while leading a third team, and having globe spanning solo adventures. Don't get me wrong, I liked Wolverine at one point. But that's when it was possible to read a Marvel book without him in it.

And that's not even geting into my personal feeling that he's just not Avenger material... but then I still have this silly notion that Avengers don't kill.

Yeah, but Wolverine is still on the main team. Which would mean he's on two teams on two different coasts, one of those teams supporting multiple line up variations which he's inexplicably always a part of for multiple adventures every month, while leading a third team, and having globe spanning solo adventures. Don't get me wrong, I liked Wolverine at one point. But that's when it was possible to read a Marvel book without him in it.

And that's not even geting into my personal feeling that he's just not Avenger material... but then I still have this silly notion that Avengers don't kill.

To quote Patrick Star: "I don't get it."

I agree. Having him as an Avenger seems like only an excuse to sell that book. Hell, you only need him on the X-Force and the occassional uncanny roster and he does well enough. Frankly, it's been a relief having the Wolverine title focus more on Daken rather than giving Logan more confusing events to follow.

So I just got back into reading comics. I finished up 1602 and then Civil War, what should I read next? Ultimatum, Secret Invasion, Secret War, Deadpool 1-current, or something else? I want something that started recently that I could pick up all the copies for, or something in TPB. Preferably Marvel. I love Gambit, Punisher and Daredevil. (With a sweet spot for Deadpool and Nick Fury lol)

Lemme think about it, Ragin. I'm in that odd place where I'm reading a lot, but not really enjoying much of it, but reading it anyway. Thor's been pretty fun so far. Brubaker's Captain America run has been very well written. (not always fun, given the subject matter, but always a good read) Slot's post Secret Invasion Mighty Avengers has been enjoyable. I know those aren't your stated cup-o-tea, but I never claimed not to be an Avengers guy. Can't remember which Deadpool book (he has like three again) features the adventures of 'Pool and his severed dimension lost Marvel Zombie head, a "blessed" scientist, and Bill, agent of AIM, but that's been a fun read.

(and ironically, when I say reading a lot of books, I mean just reading, not buying. A local Books A Million has an excellent comics selection, and don't care that I pop in a couple times a week while my youngest is in preschool, grab a handful and read 'em. If I really enjoy it enough, I'll buy it... or wait and buy the collected version.)

RaginCajun, Brubaker's Captain America is a must read, especially if you've got a sweet spot for Fury- you'll see plenty of him. I only pick up TPBs, so I'm always a bit late to what's new, hot, and good. Given your preferences, you may enjoy modern X-Factor.

The first 15 or so issues or Punisher War Journal were pretty good. I stopped reading after that. Deadpool's comic that started with the Secret Invasion story is great too, but may be hard to track down.

Also, you may not like Hulk, but Planet Hulk and World War Hulk were excellent reads.

So I just got back into reading comics. I finished up 1602 and then Civil War, what should I read next? Ultimatum, Secret Invasion, Secret War, Deadpool 1-current, or something else? I want something that started recently that I could pick up all the copies for, or something in TPB. Preferably Marvel. I love Gambit, Punisher and Daredevil. (With a sweet spot for Deadpool and Nick Fury lol)

If you want to read anything modern X-Men, I recommend picking up the Messiah Complex trade paper back. Great story and it fills in a lot of blanks. After that, I'd recommend X-Force and Cable. I also second the motion that you check out modern X-Factor-- it's brilliant!

For Gambit, pick up X-Men Legacy. He shows up somewhere around the 2nd-3rd volume when the story centers Rogue more than Xavier.