UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Book Talk

I'd recommend X-Force and Cable.

This has nothing to do with recommendations, but I've never been a big fan of X-Force, Cable, or Deadpool, and I finally realized that I think the first comic my little brother ever bought was New Mutants 87, after which he became a dedicated fan of Cable and all of those guys. I guess I kind of viewed Cable and X-Force as his territory, and it's just sort of stuck through the years.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyond that, though, those characters and comics sucked. That might have played some small role in why you feel as you do.

At the time, though, I was all into them. Them and Youngblood, and Spawn, and all that other crap.

Ah the days of chromium hologram covers, and bad stories beneath them.

Still wonder who Cable was originally supposed to be, just out of morbid curiosity.

I'd recommend X-Force and Cable.

This has nothing to do with recommendations, but I've never been a big fan of X-Force, Cable, or Deadpool, and I finally realized that I think the first comic my little brother ever bought was New Mutants 87, after which he became a dedicated fan of Cable and all of those guys. I guess I kind of viewed Cable and X-Force as his territory, and it's just sort of stuck through the years.

That era was just terrible. Thankfully, the newer titles have very little to do with the past ones and the quality is much better now.

I have an awesome Daredevil comic from 1949, featuring the Three Wise Guys and a ghost.

There's a reason I don't beleive you. That's because Daredevil was created in the sixties, right when Spider-Man was created. Not even close to before then.

I have an awesome Daredevil comic from 1949, featuring the Three Wise Guys and a ghost.

There's a reason I don't beleive you. That's because Daredevil was created in the sixties, right when Spider-Man was created. Not even close to before then.

I was referring to this Daredevil.

Edited by super spider piggy

That era was just terrible. Thankfully, the newer titles have very little to do with the past ones and the quality is much better now.

Cable has greatly evolved, or devolved depending on your point of view, from the gun toting cyborg that Liefield first created. As he is today, I like him. He's not one of my favorites, but I like him.

X-Force... I uncomfortable with heroes whoes whole purpose is to hunt down and kill people. More exactly, I am uncomfortable calling them heroes. I understand they've made the "villains" in that book even more monsterous. But I always find Wolverine more interesting when he's trying not o kill people. And that Cyclops assembled, endorses, and directs a group like this... not sure you can calls this character growth. I've read the Necrosha tie ins, but little else. Not my cup of tea, but YMMV.

I was referring to this Daredevil.

Didn't know there was another one. Nifty! Well congrats on that.

Anyone else think that Deathstroke could have stolen a bit from that guy?

As for current comics, I don't do any anymore. My LCS closed and Marvel Subscriptions have not been my friend. I'm going all trade now.

Cable has greatly evolved, or devolved depending on your point of view, from the gun toting cyborg that Liefield first created. As he is today, I like him. He's not one of my favorites, but I like him.

X-Force... I uncomfortable with heroes whoes whole purpose is to hunt down and kill people. More exactly, I am uncomfortable calling them heroes. I understand they've made the "villains" in that book even more monsterous. But I always find Wolverine more interesting when he's trying not o kill people. And that Cyclops assembled, endorses, and directs a group like this... not sure you can calls this character growth. I've read the Necrosha tie ins, but little else. Not my cup of tea, but YMMV.

I've heard generally good things about the modern X-Force, and I dig the covert-ish black/grey costumes. But I feel the same way about "heroes" going on kill missions. Some of the characters involved, I can see doing that, but Cyclops orchestrating it? No, sir, I don't like it. Then there's the fact that they're sending a TEENAGE GIRL on the missions too. I know X-23 isn't the normal teenage girl, but it still feels especially wrong.

As for current comics, I don't do any anymore. My LCS closed and Marvel Subscriptions have not been my friend. I'm going all trade now.

How does the Marvel Subscription work? Do you get them the day an LCS would? And do they have your address labeled on it permanently or removable or are they in a plastic bag? I've been thinking of subscribing to a few for a while.

How does the Marvel Subscription work? Do you get them the day an LCS would? And do they have your address labeled on it permanently or removable or are they in a plastic bag? I've been thinking of subscribing to a few for a while.

For a little while I was getting them the day before the LCS would. But then it got rediculous, coming about a month late. So eventually I got fed up, let them all run out, and just bought from the LCS.

And now I can't even do that.

For a little while I was getting them the day before the LCS would. But then it got rediculous, coming about a month late. So eventually I got fed up, let them all run out, and just bought from the LCS.

You live in a pretty urban area, surely there are other LCS within driving distance. If not there are other less scrupulous ways or reading comics when they come out.

If not there are other less scrupulous ways or reading comics when they come out.

We must use our Scanner powers for good only. :angry:

I don't know to what you are referring sir. I was insinuating an Oceans 11 style break in of the Marvel and DC offices. Although if I did know what you were talking about I would have complimented you on the nice double entendre given your choice of current avatar.

Scanners have telepathic/telekinetic abilities. Of course, Scanners could use their powers to help reduce misunderstandings between people, or even to influence bad people to do good things. However, some would read the minds of the folks at Marvel HQ to get early access to unreleased comics, or to do this:

1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosio.gif

Both of which are big no-nos.

Scanners have telepathic/telekinetic abilities. Of course, Scanners could use their powers to help reduce misunderstandings between people, or even to influence bad people to do good things. However, some would read the minds of the folks at Marvel HQ to get early access to unreleased comics, or to do this:

1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosio.gif

Both of which are big no-nos.

Classic case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You live in a pretty urban area, surely there are other LCS within driving distance. If not there are other less scrupulous ways or reading comics when they come out.

Next closest is about 40 minutes away actually unfortunately.

Usually if there's a Barnes and Noble by you they'll special order them for you if you pay them upfront the price of it. So they'll get them in for you if you want. My co-worker does it for certain comics and then also for import music.

Seriously? Now THAT I can handle! I'll have to check that out! Thanks for the tip man!

I hate Preveiws sometimes. Sometimes I don't mind being spoiled. Okay most of the time I like spoilers. I don't generally like surprises. But sometimes I come across spoiler stuff that just upsets me. Case in point:

According to the May previews, Hercules will die soon. And unlike his half brother, Hercules was stripped of his immortality long ago. (yeah I know, clocks tickin' on the rez) I've been enjoying Herc's adventures to this point, and Herc is among my favorite Avengers.

I know I should be at the point where I should be so jaded about in comics stuff, but for some reason this bothers me quite a lot.

Of course, more and more evidence seems to be coming in to show that the days of

Cat Beast

are numbered, and that is a VERY good thing.

Just stumbled across these images for the upcoming Batman:Return Of Bruce Wayne.

Now we all knew comic characters don't stay dead for long nowadays but these cover sketches look cool and to me they have an Elseworlds feel to them. http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/106/1068204p1.html The Pirate and Caveman are my faves and I'm trying really hard not to think of them as Minimates.