UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Book Talk

So I started making a list of what I want to get this year at Wizard World. My main goal is to get Uncanny X-Men #94 and 95. I have 103 issues left until I have Uncanny X-Men complete without the reprints. 131 with the reprints. I also need to get Giant Size X-Men too.

On a side note I dropped Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Superman, and Ghost Rider.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a better suggestion for this thread. Pin it and have weekly rotating books to talk about. Or, ya know, whatever. No offense but it's not like I come to a minimate forum to talk about comics. Anyways.

Invincible

Okay, I got my last trade in which allowed me to finish reading my single issues (I hate reading stuff out of order). Let me just say this here and now: If you're not reading this book, you're not even reading comics. It's better then anything else I've read, including JSA, Y: The Last Man and Astonishing Xmen. The writing is superb and gripping, it makes you actually care. The art is a treat, and compliments the story just like it should. It has what I think are some of the neatest characters I've seen in forever. And on top of everything else, their parodies are frickin hilarious.

The only thing that could make this book better is if they had Minimates for it. Think we can bug DST about that?

Yeah, but this is beyond the multiverse: the minimate arms.

People can talk about anything here TM2. Even you! :P

I agree with you on Invincible, it's one of the better books out there but it couldn't have been written without a lot of other stories and characters to reference.

I know I started this topic but I hadn't read anything new from the week. I was just getting excited for what was coming out. Last night I read Uncanny and I must say it is my favorite Marvel book out there. Don't get me wrong there are a few other Marvel books I really like right now but Brubaker delivers.

SPOILER WARNING!

Corsair is killed by Vulcan. Professor has his mutant ability back thanks to the M'Kran crystal. Alex, Lorna, and Phoenix are left in Space. Hepzibah is stuck with the X-Men

I also read the Mighty Avengers #3 and Countdown #50. The Mighty Avengers I'm not really excited about as much as the New Avengers book. Countdown is still setting stuff up so it hasn't done anything major yet.

I've only read the first trade of Invincible and it was awesome. I keep forgetting to pick up the other trades and hopefully I'll add that to my list of stuff to pick up.

Personally I like the idea of posting your pull list, even though mine is a bit scantily clad this week:

Countdown #50

Battler Britton TPB (though I tend to pick up TPBs at the end of the month)

Kinda gives an insight into what other people are reading.

I've not read any Invincible, but I've heard nothing but good about it. What's it like? (not too spoileriffic, as there's a few of us who may be picking it up judging from the thread so far)

Jo

Well, I have very recently subscribed to Thunderbolts. Ifyou haven't read it, you should. It's really cool. Also, my pull list for pretty much ever is anything Zombies, and Fallen Son. The Zombie One Shot Dead Days is pretty cool. Mr. Fantastic is completely INSANE!

HE turned all of the FF into zombies before he was even a Zombie himself. He pretty much doomed the world.

I LOVE ZOMBIES

BTW Hotstuff, any Ultimate Spider Man trades you don't want?

My universal pull list is pretty much as follows:

Amazing Spider-Man

Sensational Spider-Man

Friendly-Neighborhood Spider-Man

Ultimate Spider-Man

Marvel Zombies

Army of Darkness

New Avengers

Mighty Avengers

Ms. Marvel

Squadron Supreme

Astonishing X-Men

New X-Men

ToyFare

I also generally pull any major events (House of M, Civil War, The Initiative, Annihilation, and World War Hulk and their numerous tie-ins) or mini-series (Loners, Illuminati, etc). I tried to read all the X-books, but there are too many of them (this coming from the guy who pulls no fewer than 4 Spider-Man titles) and I find myself not really caring about most of the teams and got turned off by lulls in the stories of Cable/Deadpool and X-Factor. I read most of the Ultimate universe in trade paperback form, though I've taken to getting Ultimate Spidey in the monthly mag as I wanted to see if Gwen Stacy got killed back in the Carnage arc and have been collecting ever since.

Since this is "Comic Talk" I thought I'd ask a question for you guys. I was reading the latest issue of Wizard (sorry, don't know the number, but it's the one with Spidey holding MJ on the front). Anway, in the News Section there is an article about Downloadable Comics. It makes a reference to iTunes with an iTune-esque poster of Wolverine. It's an interesting article and and even more interesting debate. So, I was wondering, how do you guys feel about "iComics"?

At first I wasn't sure how I felt, but as I thought about it I started loving the idea more and more. In fact, now I can't wait until this is the standard. Think about it. Without printing costs and shipping costs involved, we could actually see lower priced comics. Not only that but think how easily it would be to purchase and save them. No more storage bins, no more comic book runs on Wednesday. Imagine this, iTunes sets up a new section for Comics. On if you can choose from all the best selling comics from both Marvel and DC. Each issue is .99 cents. You can either buy them issues at a time or, like tv shows, you can buy a "season" or maybe a "Year" of that comics for roughly $12 or $13 bucks. You can set them up to be automatically downloaded each Wednesday morning. Then, you can watch them on your PC or Laptop, of you could transfer them onto your PSP or iPod. In all honestly, this can't happen soon enough. As of November 2005 I decided to quit buying and collecting single issue comics. I only follow Trades now. In fact, I didn't get to read Civil War until a few weeks ago. It's just easier to collect in TPB form. This Online option would be an even better opportunity. In fact, for a reader like me, it would probably prompt me to pick up even more comics, comics that if I had to walk through a store and pick up I wouldn't waste the time or extra money, but at .99 cents (or even $1.99) an issue I would be much more likely to get it try.

So, that's where I stand. What do you guys think? iComics Good? or Bad? Discuss. neo

I honestly wouldn't mind if they printed comics online and made them in paper. It would open up alot more to people if you could read something for .99 and then go out and start collecting the series. I don't know if I'd like to have a comic book collection on my computer instead of paper. I used to read the comics on Marvel's website and they used to go in order for a few months. I would read the Hulk and I loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Full standing order list (currently):

Wildcats (if it ever comes out)

Wetworks

Gen 13

The Authority (see Wildcats)

Deathblow

Stormwatch PHD

Midnighter

Welcome to Tranquility

Grifter and Midnighter (though mostly for completions sake - it's not very well written at all)

Desolation Jones

The Boys

Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes

Countdown

New transformers stuff

Trades:

Marvel Ultimate stuff

Nearly everything mainline DC

She-Hulk

WIldstorm trades (I tend to replace issues with trades when they become available)

Verigo trades

As far as icomics, it depends on your reading habits. I read in bed and on the bus, so they're no use to me. :D I can see the appeal though.

Jo

I agree that I do most of my reading in bed or when I'm flying. However, even that peaks my interest more. take for instance, the use of the Nintendo DS. Turned sideways like a book, you could read though a comic using the touch screen without even turning a page. There is nowhere that I don't go with my iPod and DS, I just feel this really needs to happen.......the sooner the better. neo

Is it big enough to read? I've got a couple of roleplay books on my PDA (a Tungsten E) and they're a little too difficult, due to having to zoom in and move the page around.

Hmmm.

Jo

I agree, it would have to be re-formated and tweeked a little. But, if they did something similar to Marvel.com online comics I think it would work. On marvel.com there is an option to read the comic one panel at a time. So, while it would be more of a challenge (especially for an iPod screen) it could work. neo

Hey question,

what do you guys do with your old comics, the stuff you don't intend to keep forever? I have three boxes full and no where to go with them.

And I've said it before in the forum elswhere, Invincible rocks, and it would be a great idea for DS to go after the licence since they are working on a screenplay for a movie from paramount.

Invincible minimates!!!!

Personally, I replace monthlies with trades when they're available and sell the monthlies on ebay. Don't usually make much, but it offsets some of the costs. WIth 52 I'll probably wait for all 4 trades to come out, then sell them in a bulk lot.

With other stuff, it tends to just stay on the bookshelf. Occasionally I have a clearout and get rid of stuff I know I'm really never going to bother with again.

Still piling up though...

Jo

Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider-Ham huh?

I just read Justice Society this morning. I'm loving the storyline with the Legion. I wasn't too crazy about the first storyarc of Justice League though.

I also read X-Men #199. I wasn't too crazy about the last few issues but its starting to grow on me. I'm not sure whats going on with Rogue though. I'm kinda hoping she ends up losing all her powers except her absorbing powers. Make her more like the movie Rogue. I've never been to big on Rogue or Gambit...call me crazy.

So how about Countdown 48? Jimmy Olsen been keeping a secret?

• 2 weeks later...