UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Book Talk

Okay, to lighten the mood a little and gush about something for once...

It's no secret that I'm fairly new to comics, having started taking them up just last year. While I do make a effort to keep myself fully updated on what the frak's going on in the 616 lately, really there's only one ongoing crossover event I actually look forward to getting from my LCS every month, and that's Abnett and Lanning's current work on Cosmic Marvel.

Right now I can only afford to keep up with the Inhumans-related titles (I read almost the entire War of Kings mini and am now on the penultimate issue of the Realm of Kings: Inhumans tie-in), but for the longest time I'd been planning on investing in the Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy TPBs too after all the rave reviews I've heard about 'em. I'm probably only saying this because this is my first ongoing comic series and Abnett already has something of a solid history writing Warhammer books and stuff, but I loved how most of the characters in War of Kings were competently fleshed out and that reading an issue didn't feel like watching paint dry. And then there were those jawdropping moments that actually felt like they had a significant impact on the plot and weren't just ass-pulls done for the sake of drama, like

Ronan the Accuser bowing down to Black Bolt

or

Lilandra's death

or

the creation of the Fault

Anyway, I've said my piece. I've confessed my unhealthy noob love for DnA's Cosmic Marvel work, and now I wish I had some spare change for those TPBs. :geek:

Edited by NorthRaider

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been part of the Comic talk for a while. Honestly I have stopped reading for a the last few years, but I will say that Marvel's Heroic Age is really getting my excited. I love the Avengers and I'm glad they are the focal point as of right now. So far we have 3 Avengers teams, The Avengers Prime, The New Avengers, and the Secret Avengers. The teams are coming together, so far we know 1 completely and they are slowing giving us more and then there are the Secret ones, lol.

Avengers Prime: Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Spider-Woman

-I love this team. The big 3 back together with, IMO, the most underrated of the Avengers in Hawkeye and I have loved what Bendis has done with Spider-Woman, so I'm sold on this book! Plus they are fighting Kang right out of the gate, SWEET!

New Avengers: Luke Cage, Spider-Man, Wolverine, so far. It will be interesting to follow this book. I loved the first attempt at New Avengers and I thought having Spider-man and Wolverine on the team really added. I'm not sure who the remaining 2 or 3 members will be. I'm thinking maybe Iron Fist and Mrs. Marvel and Dr. Strange?! I'd honestly like to see Herc be part of the team, but I'm not sure he's going to be around much longer, but I wish he would be!!

Secret Avengers: This is where it gets fun. We've been given teaser pictures but they are all blacked out characters. If you haven't seen them I'm going to include them:

Picture 1

secretavengers1.th.jpg

-My Pick is Beast. He is in a jumping pose and it's clear he is a bigger guy. You could argue Vemon, but this is the "Heroic" age. The tag also says he focuses on the "Solution", and that sounds like a scientist! Also, Beast has been an Avenger before a long time ago.

Picture 2

secretavengers2.th.jpg

-My Pick is Moon Knight. Just from the name "Secret" you would imagine this may be like the "black ops" type of team. With a team like that you need a guy riding the line. Moon Knight is the closest thing that Marvel has to Batman and what major super team doesn't need a Batman. Plus he is rich and full of issues so he will be interesting to read. He is also seeking "Redemption", this just seems too easy. However, it could also be Cloak who is also a Bendis favorite. There is also the slight chance it could be Dr. Strange, but I think he will end up being on the New Avengers so I wouldn't put him here, but it is a possibility.

Picture 3

secretavengers3.th.jpg

-My Pick is The Scarlet Witch. There are several reasons why and why not. First off, when you think lady Avengers she is almost the first one that always comes to mind. Plus we haven't seen her since House of M. Also, the caption reads "Control" which is something that clearly Wanda has had a hard time with in the recent past. I will say that if #2 turns out to be Cloak than I would swiftly change this to Dagger, you can't have 1 without the other and I do think they are "Secret" as it is so that would be a perfect fit! As a third there is a chance that it's Valkyrie because ever Marvel superteam needs a god, right!

Picture 4

secretavengers4.th.jpg

-My Pick is Captain Marvel. Marvel has been building up his return and he would be the powerhouse a team like this would need. The caption doesn't help much to lead one way or the other. Other choices could be Captain Brittan to bring some diversity or even Wonder Man, he is a fan favorite by the way! There is also the slight chance he could be a rebuilt Vision. I don't think it's going to happen, but if #3 ends up being Wanda, it could happen.

Picture 5

secretavengers5.th.jpg

-My Pick is War Machine. This to me is pretty simple. I love War Machine and he is the perfect replacement for an "Iron Man" slot of the team. Marvel has been using him quite a bit lately so they have a future for him plus add in the fact he is a big part of Iron Man 2 and this is probably the easiest for me. Plus he's "Secret"!

Picture 6

secretavengers6.th.jpg

-My Pick is Steve Rogers. Bucky is taking over the shield but Marvel brought Steve back for a reason and he is a HUGE player in the future of the brand. I wouldn't be suprised if Steven turns into a Nick Fury type of character ala Secret Warriors. Of course I think Steve will be very involved and I could see him doning a costume that is a mix between an Army uniform, the old Cap suit, and a Shield uniform. Here, like with #5 I don't really have a second string. Honestly, who else in the Marvel U can "Lead by Example"!?!?!? Think about it!

All in all, I'm really excited about all the new Avengers titles. Avengers Prime seems like Bendis will make it the staple of the Marvel U and the Team. New Avengers appears to be a more upbeat, action packed type focus. And Secret may turn out to be the sleeper hit as a behind the scene, covert, ops type team that will be able to see some really cool missions. Plus, just think of the impact this will have on future Minimates!!!!

So, what about you guys, excited for the new Avenger's books? neo

Very excited by the idea of Avengers books with Avengers in them. Why we need the teams, plus an Academy I don't know, but it's nice to be at least keeping pace with the X-folks.

Not sure the X-gang will be willing to share both Wolverine and Beast. Though given the choice, I'd personally choose the later. I think pic one could as easily be T'Challa, the caption would work for either. Moon Knight quit the team... hard. Like burned his card and hasn't really even tried to hang out with them again hard. But it's possible. You other pics work.

Kinda sad to see Cage back with the New Avengers. Rumor had him taking over the new T-Bolts and I liked that idea better.

• 1 month later...

I've recently learned that the company I work for has just worked out a deal to start being the distributor for Marvel's TPBs and HCs in June. I'm assuming that means I'll be getting a pretty decent discount and will become more of a participant in this thread.

I've recently learned that the company I work for has just worked out a deal to start being the distributor for Marvel's TPBs and HCs in June. I'm assuming that means I'll be getting a pretty decent discount and will become more of a participant in this thread.

I would be more than willing to trade Minimates for discounted trades :)

I've just finished New Avengers #61 (& #62) which is part of the Siege series (the spoiler option is inoperable to me) & I'm well-confused :blink: Is anybody else reading this series?

If so I'll be vague in my question because it may spoil someones current reading but "Where did the 2nd. shield come from ?" Keep it spoilered please or just PM me. Thanks.

I would be more than willing to trade Minimates for discounted trades :)

Once I know the details I'll get back to you.

i've been reading "new avengers" for a couple of years now, but it's all over the place in terms of quality. sometimes bendis can really grab ya... and at other times his writing is almost ridiculously rushed, choppy, and stiff. it's sort of annoying, frankly. there's been some really good artwork on this book over the past few years, though (with the exception of that billy tan dude, of course--- his stuff just looks sloppy to me). and deodota's (sp.?) artwork on "dark avengers" has been absolutely STELLAR, in my humble opinion. but again: the quality of the writing has been all over the damn place, and very inconsistent on THAT book, too.

my favorite mainstream funnybook right now is definitely "fantastic four". hickman and eaglesham are both doing such a nice job so far... it's just a fun, fun book. it has a slightly retro feel to it in a way, but at the same time it still feels up to date and current. if you guys aren't already reading this title you really should give it a shot.

p.s. oh, and i just picked up a copy of hickman's "shield" #1 yesterday, but i haven't had a chance to read it yet. i have high hopes, though...

double p.s. and i'm SUPER-jazzed about dan clowes coming out with a new graphic novel soon. can't wait!

Edited by velvet

So can you answer my question (New Avengers) ???

Which second shield? My mind is blanking on exactly what you may mean.

I've just finished New Avengers #61 (& #62) which is part of the Siege series (the spoiler option is inoperable to me) & I'm well-confused :blink: Is anybody else reading this series?

If so I'll be vague in my question because it may spoil someones current reading but "Where did the 2nd. shield come from ?" Keep it spoilered please or just PM me. Thanks.

You mean the second Cap shield? The battle with Steve Rogers and BuckyCap is taking place in the rubble of BuckyCap's hideout (which was blown up in an earlier issue), and Steve kind of stumbles across it there -- it's his old energy shield.

buttheadsmate: d'oh! sorry, bro. i meant to send ya a PM about your "new avengers" question HOURS ago... and then i had to get offline really quick and i flat-out forgot about it. :(

You mean the second Cap shield? The battle with Steve Rogers and BuckyCap is taking place in the rubble of BuckyCap's hideout (which was blown up in an earlier issue), and Steve kind of stumbles across it there -- it's his old energy shield.

Thanks battlecat , you've helped me to understand that because I never would have otherwise. That was in an earlier New Avengers or another of the 'continuity issues' ? Thanks again.

Right now I can only afford to keep up with the Inhumans-related titles (I read almost the entire War of Kings mini and am now on the penultimate issue of the Realm of Kings: Inhumans tie-in), but for the longest time I'd been planning on investing in the Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy TPBs too after all the rave reviews I've heard about 'em. I'm probably only saying this because this is my first ongoing comic series and Abnett already has something of a solid history writing Warhammer books and stuff, but I loved how most of the characters in War of Kings were competently fleshed out and that reading an issue didn't feel like watching paint dry. And then there were those jawdropping moments that actually felt like they had a significant impact on the plot and weren't just ass-pulls done for the sake of drama, like

Ronan the Accuser bowing down to Black Bolt

or

Lilandra's death

or

the creation of the Fault

Anyway, I've said my piece. I've confessed my unhealthy noob love for DnA's Cosmic Marvel work, and now I wish I had some spare change for those TPBs. :geek:

I came into the cosmic side of Marvel with a minor level of interest, picking up the Annihilation trades. I walked away with a new found love for it that's grown stronger and stronger with each new series and storyline. Guardians of the Galaxy is a great series, combining excellent characters with some great humour. In my opinion the only Marvel work to trump the cosmic stuff is the mystical elements. JMS' run on Thor was excellent and I can't wait to see where it goes next. Ares was a great charatcer in Mighty and Dark Avengers and Incredible Hercules was just win, pure and simple. I was sad it was cancelled but hopeful about the Cho spin off/new direction.

Thanks battlecat , you've helped me to understand that because I never would have otherwise. That was in an earlier New Avengers or another of the 'continuity issues' ? Thanks again.

Earlier issue. The Hood's (second most over hyped, would someone please kick his @ss already, character under the Bendis administration) gang tracked the New Avengers to BuckyCap's brownstone, which IIRC was actually Steve's old loft/HQ established in the Gru days, since Clint's team was using it as their meeting place.

Now the 'continuity issue' with the second shield was that originally,

the energy shield generator was built into Cap's gloves and he couldn't really wield it the way they were showing in that issue. Steve could 'throw' the energy shield, but it was more of an energy bolt than a flying disk. I kinda liked the idea of the energy shield, when US Agent was using them.

Far Cap though, it was not one of the better ideas during the second coming of Waid.

I think it was in the New Avengers annual, but I'm not 100% on that, as all the Avengers stuff is so jumbled at the minute. But yeah,

Osborn captured Clint Barton and psychically tortured him to get the location of their hideout, then his team of Avengers blew it up but the good guys had already left for a

second secret hideout. A bit later, BuckyCap and Rogers were doing recon at the blown-up hideout when they were attacked.

Edited by battlecat

My brother and I were talking about Siege over the weekend and I'm hoping Marvel includes a scene in one of the various post event wrap-up books were Norman has a moment of clarity and realizes just how badly Loki has played him. I mean, Bendis and Co keep repeating the phrase "Osborn's crazy, not stupid." in interviews. But really, how smart can you be when you ally yourself with a known trickster, whose well known goal is the fall of his father's kingdom, and next thing you know you're risking everything you've built to bring that about?

Much like when the Red Skull masterfully orchestrating Steve's 'death', there's something satisfying about watching Loki win this round. I mean, even when Loki gets his tail whipped, Asgard is still wrecked and it's all his doing.

'Seriously'?

Sorry fellas. I thought I was sharing fairly common information at this point. (seeings the latest of it was at least 3 mos. old by now) Not trying to spoil things, but exactly what do you consider the statue of limitations on spoiler information? 3 mos? 6? Longer?

I'm pretty sure most everybody knows about the Cap saga but I...personally ...thought the Asgard stuff was too recent. I'm not on your case- Miry- for a second- but I'll put things in perspective by saying that I never actually looked at the BSG thread(for example).....almost EVER...until the show was in it's penultimate series. If I had of done (eloquent ?) I'd not have learnt a damn thing anyway....bless you all!!!!

My spoiler button thingy doesn't work but I wish it would :(

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd share my comic fun for the day. As I've mentioned before, I work for a book distribution company and we've recently signed on to distrobute Marvels hardcovers and trade paperbacks. We're in the process of receiving the leftover stock from the company that distributed them before and are having to go through some of the product. As a long-time comic fan there's nothing like walking today and seeing several thousand copies of Marvel Zombies being sorted through in one area. We used to distribute DC, but as a bigger Marvel fan this means so much more for me.

Of course, it'll also mean watching thousands of Marvel books getting destroyed at some point in time. I'll cry then.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I've kept up with the ol' 616, but...

Incoming stunt teaser!

Yeah, yeah, I know. Covers (and teaser images) always lie. But that's not why I'm mildly interested in this.

Just some random thoughts of mine. I don't have nearly enough faith in Marvel for them to bring anything this nuanced to current X-men continuity (:rolleyes:), buuuuuuuuuuut...

I know that Cyclops was supposed to be channeling Magneto here, but when I saw the image the first thing that came to my mind was "Vulcan!!!" And then I had a mild mental block and almost forgot that all-important detail about him actually being a Summers brother. Seriously, check out that hair. I thought I was looking at Vulcan for a minute there.

I'm kind of amused by this accidental parallel between Scott The Mutant Messiah and Gabriel The ex-King of the Shi-ar. More importantly though, with Havok and company apparently coming back to Earth soon and assuming current X-Men events don't get too weird, I imagine this might be a really neat opportunity to bring Vulcan back somehow.