UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Book Talk

Darkest Night sucks.

You are crazy. Blackest Night is really good. Geoff Johns is one of the two best writers in comics right now. Ed Brubaker is the other.

Gotta admit... I'm getting a little bored with BN. I recognise it's good writing and that Johns is building the bad up higher and higher. But I'm ready for the good guys to start making headway now. It's nothing against Johns. It's just me. I never liked those last two episodes of BVS before a season finale either.

I didn't like BN at first. I had read the first two issues which felt like nothing but build up of introducing Black Lanterns and creating even more of a crisis. It really confused me since it seemed to be having so many overwhelmingly positive reviews, so I decided to check out GL Corps and GL. Honestly, those two titles make the event worth reading and now I find myself enjoying the main BN title much more.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to mix it up a bit I have just been looking up about Red Hulk there is a reference to it seems

silver surfer

in the latest issue that could shed some light on who Rulk is. Now I know very little about

Surfer or his companions

. So maybe someone here may have a clue.

DONT CLICK THE PICTURE IF YOU MAYBE DONT WANT ANY SORT OF SPOILERS!!!

post-179-1254668622_thumb.jpg

He's talking about when he(rulk) was on the surfboard in issue 12. He beat the surfer and stole his board. He was talking about he became abused with power and looked like an idiot riding the surfboard. :lol:

When all is said and done, Spider-Man needs to get the last punch in.

Excepting when his comics actually make for good ROFL reading, I think you may actually have a point. We may as well rename "Wolverine Publicity" Deadpool Publicity now.

Anyone remember that "figure in the shadows" allied with Norman from the first Dark Reign "Cabal" comic? Just read something on i09.com, and I think that figure is

Mephisto

Even though I think he's OK, I have to say this:

Deadpool is overrated.

There.

Fire away.

I agree, so like butch and sundance we can stand together on this one... for all the good it did them ;)

As for comics... I'm waiting on the last of the "worlds most wanted" arc from the current Ironman run, I have to say I'm really enjoying this storyline but worry where it is taking us...havent they smurfed with Tony Stark enough already?

My guess is that we'll see a new armor and freshly downloaded brain for Tony Stark by the summer...

T.

Being a casual fan of contemporary comics, I don't know all that Tony has done besides becoming a fascist who was largely responsible for Cap's death. BUT, if Hal Jordan can go from being a psychotic mass murderer into a respected member of the JLA, anything is possible I suppose.

Nothing ever means anything in comic books, IMO.

The cliff notes version- About half-way through the Congressional hearings on the Super-Power registration act, Tony realized this was going to pass in some form or fashion. So he went from fighting it to being it's biggest backer. His reasoning was simple- if he did not present himself as the logical choice to manage the new Super-people regulators, they were going o give it to Gyrich or someone similar. But for reasons that had more to do with where Joey Q wanted to take the story than anything else, Tony only articulated this only once and then only after having acted for months as a fascist jerk hunting down anyone who didn't comply, so by that point no body was in the mood to listen. For his part, Steve decides the best way to change a law was to form a militia and literally fight the government. Well, Cap's anti-reg forces eventually won the physical fight with Iron Man's guys, but he realized, a little late, that the American people (in the MU) were supporting the registration legislation and that his rebellion was doing nothing to change people's mind. Cap surrenders. The Red Skull takes advantage of Steve's captivity, and arranges Cap's "assassination".

<Miry commentary> If Tony would have turned to Steve when he realized where the hearing where going and said "Steve, they are going to pass this, and if we don't take charge they are going to give it to Gyrich and his boys." then Tony and Cap acting in character would have ruined whole Civil War aspect of this story arc. But that wasn't what Joey Q wanted, so Tony only states his reasoning for becoming the Initiative point man in a Spider-Man Civil War special set the night before the final battle. Now Tony has a history of ends justifying means actions in his life. No doubt. But as aggravating as Tony's civil war actions were, to find out that they actually had a solid motivation for his actions that made a certain degree of sense, but would have made Tony more sympathetic so it was largely ignored was even more angering. So despite the fact that Tony had the more logical approach than Steve, Tony was the "bad guy" and Steve was the "good guy". But I digress</Miry Commentary>

Jump forward to the end of the Skrull Invasion, now exactly what Tony was worried about happens: someone much less honorable than him has control, and Osborne makes Gyrich look like a good choice. Osborne makes Stark the Skrull Invasion scapegoat. Tony responds by putting a virus in SHIELD's computers that wipes out every copy of the super-power registration data. The only copy of that database is inside Tony's nanobot enhanced brain. (Did I mention that Tony purposely infected himself with a nanovirus that enhanced his mental abilities and allowed him to directly interface with his machines? No? Well he did, just before the Civil War thing got started.) Now he's committed an official act of treason, so Osborn goes after Stark full force. So while on the run, Tony deletes the database from his mind. Of course, the side effect means he's getting dumber and dumber. So now, equipped with a very very primitive armor, cause that's all he can operate, he's got to fight Norman in Norman's Iron Patriot.

<Miry Commentary II>

I'm of the opinion that Stark's brain will essentially reboot itself, and be free of the "Extrimis virus" stuff. And that in the aftermath, the nanovirus will be partially blamed for Tony's harder edged actions of the last few years. They'll say it made him colder, more strictly logical and ruthless, and that will be why he did things like go along with Skrulljackets Robo-Thor plan. I think we'll see another new armor, probably resembling the movie armor.

</ Miry Commentary II>

Wow. Thanks Mirymate. I didn't intend to make you spend so much effort on that :P

In comics you can always justify anything after the fact with the right amount of convolution, so I'm sure some "reasonable" explanation will pop up. I guess the "Civil War" would have stopped before it started had all the major heroes teamed up from the get-go, though. Then we might not have had that cool Cap Minimate from the box set. And that would have been a bad thing.

Wow. Thanks Mirymate. I didn't intend to make you spend so much effort on that :P

In comics you can always justify anything after the fact with the right amount of convolution, so I'm sure some "reasonable" explanation will pop up. I guess the "Civil War" would have stopped before it started had all the major heroes teamed up from the get-go, though. Then we might not have had that cool Cap Minimate from the box set. And that would have been a bad thing.

I'd rather of had a cool IronMan minmate in that set... we never get any Ironman minimates! ;)

I agree nicely cliffnoted Mirymate!

T.

Excepting when his comics actually make for good ROFL reading, I think you may actually have a point. We may as well rename "Wolverine Publicity" Deadpool Publicity now.

Anyone remember that "figure in the shadows" allied with Norman from the first Dark Reign "Cabal" comic? Just read something on i09.com, and I think that figure is

Mephisto

I still think it's the Beyonder... But I no longer read 616 (Other than Thor which has kept away from tieinitis) so I don't care anymore!

Mephisto

If a double dealing Mephisto figures into Norman's attempt to hold power, and from this Spidey gets his much needed "there is no good deal with the devil" which we all know HAS to be coming, I will be both surprised and pleased.

And the Beyonder has been badly retconned into being a mutant Inhuman. (no I'm not kidding, wish I were, but I'm not) Proving that Q-Ball can smurf on Secret Wars with one hand, and celebrate it with the other.

I havent read a Marvel Comic in a LONG time and wanted input with regard to which titles might be worth my picking up?

From my POV, Ultimate titles are a good idea. They pretty much killed everyone and started over recently. And also it's hard to go wrong with Thor as Thor is a self-contained story and his ressurection was also a mere year agoe.

• 3 months later...

To continue my tongue-in-cheek coverage of the so-okay-it's-average-and-probably-won't-make-a-difference-in-the-long-run Siege event, I am highly amused by the recent AN AVENGER WILL DIE! solicitations. It's practically an empty threat, but it does make for a fun exercise speculating which of the New/Mighty/Dark Avengers might take a brief holiday in fluffy cloud limbo.

From what discussion I've read on the Internet lately, these guys appear to be the ones most likely to kick the bucket for the time being:

Top candidates:

Clint Barton, Ares, Thor

Other possibilities:

Hercules, Ms. Marvel (the evil one), Ms. Marvel (the

original one), Sentry (I wish)

Personally I would be so pissed off if it ended up being

Mockingbird

or

Hank Pym

. But that's just me. :P

I hope it's not Clint. Honestly if they're relaunching Avnegers after all this is over (which they are) then Hawkeye NEEDS to be back. I am almost expecting there to be a dramatic moment in the middle of one of the Seige arcs where Clint puts the suit back on and kicks Bullseye in the nads big time.

If someone is to die, I think it should be Ares. Out of all the Mighty Avengers, other than Sentry, he seemed most out of place. Sorry. I just don't like him.

Sentry however... He just needs to go and jump into a pool of antimatter.

Unfortunately Clint is a good candidate for death. Bendis likes to kill him in big crossover events. He's done it twice now, why not go for the hat trick? Actually there have been some "Heroic Age" promotional art that shows Hawkeye teamed up with the Black Widow again. His left arm is armored on this new Hawkeye costume. This could mean that Clint's gonna die again and Bucky becomes Hawkeye. (spare him the trouble of coming up with a new ID with Steve back)

Killing Sentry would be wonderful, but unlikely. Bendis really seems to like this guy. I mean, he's already more powerful that the Molecule Man, the Cosmic Cube, Dr. Doom, and the Hulk... exactly what is supposed to be able to kill him?

Didn't they already kill and resurrect Ms. Marvel once this year?

Hank Pym is another good candidate for killing. It'd tick me off to no end, but Bendis has stated repeatedly he's not a fan, and he thinks Pym's a loser. And we know what happens to characters Bendis thinks are lame, don't we Volstagg, Tigra, and Night Thrasher?

Ares is an Avengers villain. Nothing in the past few years of "service" changes my mind about that.

Edited by Mirymate

Didn't Luke Cage just suffer a death scare in a recent New Avengers issue though? Would seem pretty low to save him from the brink only to off him in the next crossover "grande-style" <_<

Hank Pym is another good candidate for killing. It'd tick me off to no end, but Bendis has stated repeatedly he's not a fan, and he thinks Pym's a loser. And we know what happens to characters Bendis thinks are lame, don't we Volstagg, Tigra, and Night Thrasher?

But that's just too easy! I mean, Marvel just turned him into a emotionally-disturbed nutcase, replaced him with a Skrull for God knows how long, killed his ex-wife and he's only just starting to "redeem" himself as leader of the Mighty Avengers! I had always subscribed to the silly, naive belief that if Marvel could somehow rescue Hank "wife-beater" Pym from the hate pile with half-decent plotting then there may be some hope for the rest of the badly-mangled 616 universe. To just off him that lazily would just really...

Oh right, I'm using fanboy logic again. Stupid me.

This is Hank's fourth "redemption" story. A lot of writers have put in a lot of effort to try and move Hank past that one panel where he struck his wife. But invariably it becomes popular editorial thinking to make him fall again. Bendis has stated he thinks Pym should have been expelled for creating Ultron. Quesada likes his failures, as they make the other heroes look better. Drives me crazy. It'd be a mercy kill at this point to avoid another cycle of editorial humiliation.

(for the record, Peter Parker had a mental breakdown and struck his wife just as many times as Hank has. Maybe Pym should make a deal with Mephisto too so it will all go away as well)