UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Book Talk

It is too bad about Iron man, the poor guy didn't write his comic books, its not his fault he's so lame now. I'll go on record th Iron Man isn't so bad, just misunderstood. hang on, i gotta go put on pinback.....

First: yay for another Midnighter lover! I actually started reading 'cause he and Apollo are gay-I am a shallow girl who likes to see hot muscled men make-out. He's quickly become one of my favorites for many reasons though.

I could never hate Iron Man, if only for the fact that his alcoholism makes his character really funny in all of the superhero parodies like Casstoons, Twisted Toyfare Theatre, and "I'm a Marvel. And I'm a DC." (Caveat: I have a lot of alcoholics in my family so please don't think I think it isn't a serious disease in real life.) The recent "Director of S.H.I.E.L.D." stuff where he thinks making someone with three PhDs rub sunscreen on his ears is a good allocation of our nation's resources stuff has just made me give up on him for now.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see there's some Wildstorm love here, even if we've had nothing from the Wildcats series :) I've spent the last six years getting and reading everything Wildstorm I can (I have one of "those" personalities), so feel free to ask me anything about their titles.

They seem to go through phases with characters - it was Mr. Majestic a couple of years ago (in his own series, Wildcats Nemesis and... something else) and they've gone a bit Midnighter crazy now. Though he does look a lot more rugged outside his costume than the last time we saw him.

It's a pity Stormwatch finished, that was great.

How do you think Armageddon and the Prime miniseries will work out? Hopefully it will properly restart the momentum of the universe, and give us creators that actually produce there stuff on time (no offence to Ms. Simone, Mr. Gage, Mr. Azzarello or any of the other fine and reliable creators and artists we've had this past year, I just hope we don't get another Morrison - a big name can't sell a book if he doesn't bother to write it)

Omendreamer - as a Vertigo fan, what would you recommend? I have the Sandman, plus the Death and Destiny TPBs, and I'm reading through the Books of Magic. Does Hellblazer fit in with those or not? Probably talking early Hellblazer if it does,

Speak to you all soon,

Jo

Glad to see there's some Wildstorm love here, even if we've had nothing from the Wildcats series :) I've spent the last six years getting and reading everything Wildstorm I can (I have one of "those" personalities), so feel free to ask me anything about their titles.

Omendreamer - as a Vertigo fan, what would you recommend?

I also have one of "those" personalities-I like how you describe it. :D For Vertigo, my biggest recommendations would be Fables (Fairytale characters forced to flee their homelands for modern New York in the mundane world-second only to Sandman), Hellblazer in bits and pieces (I prefer the Carey, Ennis, and Ellis stuff) it can get a bit predictable in large doses, Transmetropolitan (cynical drug addict reporter of the future takes on the establishment), and Lucifer (the only series deeper than Sandman without being too philosophy major-it's the only comic I've ever had to read with a mythology encyclopedia and a dictionary to get all the nuances). That's all I can think of off the top of my head...catch you later.

I will have to toss my hat in with a second of Transmetropolitan....a great and sadly missed book...the entire run is available in trade format so it is easy to get....and as long as I am recomending stuff I definatly think anyone should try out Starman by James Robinson and Tony Harris...still my all time fav series, again sadly missed....but I am overjoyed at the announcment of the upcoming hardcover complete collecting of this book.....I have all the issues and trades but they missed stuff in the trades and now have comitted to collecting EVERYTHING in the hardcover collections! best description I can give is that Jacks just a regular guy getting to play superhero...I am sure there are others here who can agree with this books awsomeness! sorry to ramble o I just think it is awsome that they are doing the collection of this book properly...and right when I was planning on pulling the books out for my annual read of it

Jeff of the Minis

Heheh.

Transmet is what started me in comics :)

I have all of the Lucifer, Starman and Fables trades so far (aside from 1,001 Nights of Snowfall - the softback version is out early next year), as well as Sandman Mystery Theatre, Y the Last Man and a couple of other things. I really liked the Otherworld trade, but there doesn't seem to be any more yet.

I've been reading a lot of DC the last couple of years - getting pretty much every trade from the last 3-5 years (depends on the series). I particularly love Green Arrow, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern (despite my dislike for Hal Jordan), JSA, Blue Beetle and Robin. And no, I don't just pick the ones with colours in the title :)

Hellblazer is something that does interest me, but I'm a little wary of picking up the lot - 'coz there's loads! Does any of it cross over(say with Sandman or Books of Magic - obviously Constantine has appeared in those)?

Enough for now - back to work before the boss notices.

Jo

I could never hate Iron Man, if only for the fact that his alcoholism makes his character really funny in all of the superhero parodies like Casstoons, Twisted Toyfare Theatre, and "I'm a Marvel. And I'm a DC." (Caveat: I have a lot of alcoholics in my family so please don't think I think it isn't a serious disease in real life.) The recent "Director of S.H.I.E.L.D." stuff where he thinks making someone with three PhDs rub sunscreen on his ears is a good allocation of our nation's resources stuff has just made me give up on him for now.

Iron Man's alcoholism made him really funny in The Ultimates too... it was nothing like the after-school special way in which they (understandably) usually address his drinking problem.

I'm not too big on reading him as Director of SHIELD either, though I actually really liked (unlike most readers I guess) how he was handled in the main Civil War miniseries, if only because he made a far more effective supervillain than any of the actual Marvel supervillains usually are in those things. Oh and I liked that Bendis one-shot too, The Confession, where he tries to justify his dickery to Cap's corpse.

I found Halo Uprising Issue 2 really disappointing. There's one good scene where

the Chief makes a witty remark, then sticks the Brute, but the rest is real boring. Next to nothing happens! And we still don't know what the Key of Osanalan is!

Well alright, the Hornet bit was good too, but on the whole, disappointing for me.

So who else can't wait for Initiative #8?

Irredeemable Giant-Man, baby!

WHAT?!!!

Yeeeep. Ant-Man is gonna be in it and he gets HUGE!

That's almost dissapointing. I really wanted O'Grady to stay Ant-Man. He works so well as him. He didn't need to be Giant man you know. Also he should join the Thunderbolts. Why? Because he should, do not argue with me ;)

WHAT?!!!

That's almost dissapointing. I really wanted O'Grady to stay Ant-Man. He works so well as him. He didn't need to be Giant man you know. Also he should join the Thunderbolts. Why? Because he should, do not argue with me ;)

You wouldn't be happy to hear of my strong distaste for the Thunderbolts, would you? Although the Initiative ain't a ton better...

WHAT?!!!

You wouldn't be happy to hear of my strong distaste for the Thunderbolts, would you? Although the Initiative ain't a ton better...

Read the signature. READ IT!

By the way, I am messing around and I am in no way seriously angry at anybody. But seriously, why make him Giant? There have been enough Giant Men. Half of the fun of Ant Man was his incredibly fun use of his admittably crappy powers. O'Grady, even though he was a joke, made B List Ant Man into what he should be: A spoof of all other Marvel Heroes. Heck, his gross misuse of his powers led to an excellently humorous character and making him Giant would just take most of the fun away. How can you watch Super-Heroines shower without being noticed when you are sixty feet tall? (love that issue BTW)

Actually, I think his powers would be quite useful. Shink w/ nonproportional strength, flamethrowers, flight, and ant control!

I wouldn't complain if I could do that!

• 1 year later...

Is there a comic out or being released featuring minimates I think it was some kind of Avengers or was this some wild, fantasitc dream I had? I'm sure I read a post about it but I can't find it now.

Edited by wallbreaker2.0

As you know I'm months if not years behind everybody else with movies & comics,except perhaps with the Watchmen ;) I have just started the 'Spider-Man One More Day' graphic novels which one of my friends passed across to me. Having read plenty here & elsewhere about this 'travesty' I wasn't too excited but now I've read the first one I can only say......

.....Amazing Spider-Man..... 'Nuff Said? Terrific stuff.

I don't keep up much with contemporary comics, but I picked up one issue of Red Hulk for the Art Adams art a month or so ago, and it was freakin' awful. Not only was the story crap, but it was incredibly short (which, I guess was good, since the story was crap). On the other hand, visiting my parents during Christmas, I went through my old collection and read some of the early issues of Alpha Flight (early 80s version). It is excellent! I didn't even remember Sasquatch versus Super Skrull. That Sasquatch is one cruel bastard.

Edited by karamazov80