UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

No more Fantastic four Minimates/figures?

Mattallica

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we entirely sure there's even going to be one at this point? The movie comes out in a little over six months I believe, and we have seen absolutely nothing.

You kids are spoiled these days. Thanks to this "interwebs" fad, you know too much about a movie before it even starts shooting. If you don't see a trailer a full year in advance of the release (thanks, Iron Man) then something must be wrong.

Plenty of flicks only start showing trailers four months before the premiere:

Amazing Spider-Man

X-Men: First Class

X-Men: Days of Future Past

And as Forbes says, no trailer is better than a bad trailer.

I just wish they'd call it Chronicle 2, which is clearly the movie they'd rather be making.

So, a sequel to Man of Steel then? At least that is what I pretend Chroncle was, a proper DC Superman flick...

Valo487, on 11 Nov 2014 - 08:26, said:

And sadly like TMNT this will probably still be successful.

I had this huge long thing written out, but I realized it was easy shorten:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:

-Has children as fans (from Nick series) has adults who are fans (from classic series), can go as families to watch movie and bound over a generational love of the Turtles

-Is a Michael Bay film: Proven brand that packs seats with audience who want BIG BOOMS and little story

-Michael Bay is committed to 3D so the extra price for 3D or IMAX showings will ‘enhance’ the movie

-It’s light story and big effects make it perfect for China and Russia who love our American explosiony-action-films

The Fantastic Four:

-Has fans who don’t like the changes made but will see anything “Fantastic Four” out of misguided loyalty.

-Has no casual fans as Marvel will not be supporting it with comics, cartoons, etc. and Jessica Alba movies didn’t leave great impression in causal film goers minds.

-Found Footage (which this movie is either completely or “mostly” by some accounts) aren’t high earners, they make a much worldwide as the average successful superhero movie makes in domestic alone. They’re only profitable when made for very cheap, something a movie where 3 characters have VERY effects heavy powers can’t realistically be.

-Found Footage does not lend well to 3D/IMAX given the fact it’s not supposed to be “immersive” since you’re watching a documentation not ‘real time’ events so ticket sales can’t be artificially goosed with premium add-ons

There’s no way a Found Footage Fantastic Four can be qualified as “successful”, unless by “successful” you mean “successfully fulfilled the legal requirements need to keep the licensing rights away from Marvel for a few years” in which case, the day it stopped filming it was more successful then it had rights to be.

I hope you're right, you make good points. I'm only concerned that the glow over comic films will make this one succeed far more than it should. ASM2, which was a disappointment financially I hear, still made hundreds of millions of dollars. Sony is panicking because they know they're losing the audience, not because it was a huge flop.

This being a throwaway film seems kinda pricey. I suppose Fox can afford to but I'm not sure if it would actually help them keep the rights. And to what end really? It's not like this little exercise has earned any faith from fans if their plan is to offer up a totally faithful adaptation of the comics.

If I were at Fox, I'd do it as a period piece, circa 1960.

With tigers.

-Is a Michael Bay film

Michael Bay produced, not directed.

Directed by the guy who did Clash & Wrath of the Titans.

Written by guys who wrote Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol.

It had a Michael Bay-ish feel to it, but not "his movie".

(Just like Finding Nemo & Toy Story, etc. aren't "Disney movies".)

(Just like LOST isn't J.J. Abrams', when he only came up with a third of the concept & directed the pilot episode. Damon Lindelof also came up with a third of the concept, but basically ran the entire series, with a ton of help from Carlton Cuse.)

(Just an OCD issue I have with misappropriated credit, ignore me, lol.)

Everyone was ready to rip shreds off First Class when the promo material came out. The choice of team, choice of villains, casting, etc....

First Class was by no means a 'perfect movie', nor did it accurately follow the comic history of the X-Men .... but it was pretty damn entertaining.

I'm willing to check this out and see what they bring to the table. Could be sh!te, but it could also be a really fun film that loosely ties into the F4.

-Is a Michael Bay film

Michael Bay produced, not directed.

Did I say “directed by Michael bay”? no I said “a Michael Bay film”, he didn’t direct it but it’s clearly in his style with a trailer full of collapsing buildings, it’s from his production studio and they sold it as “from producer Michael Bay”

He might not have had much to do with it, but he stamped his mark on it letting audiences know “if you like the loud noises and colors we call ‘transformers’ you’ll love this equally loud mass of shapes called ‘ninja turtles’”

so yeah, it’s “a Michael Bay film” just not “directed by Michael Bay"

It could be interesting. I like Wes Anderson. But I wouldn't be particularly excited about him doing a comic movie, because it would be in his own quirky style. Wes Anderson's X-Statix, though? Sign me up.

No Damon did a great job, jj can't commit to finishing things he starts, I'm glad he didn't stuck around for lost, and disappointed he constantly gets credit for the whole show and every award it's ever won.

Thank you.

Did I say “directed by Michael bay”? no I said “a Michael Bay film”

Calm down. I wasn't trying to be snippy, no need for you to be.

Also, in the film industry, "a [insert name here] film" means the person who directed it. That's just how it is. I didn't make the rules. And not just "lingo open to interpretation", but in the credits for the movies, it is only used for the director.

Yes, it was touted as "from producer Michael Bay", and it fits his style/"genre" (lol), but it was not advertised as "a Michael Bay film", because he didn't direct it.

--

As for this "Fantastic 4" (because it is getting further & further from being the Fantastic 4) bullsh**, I won't watch it. Ever. I will go to my grave never wasting my time, let alone money, on this garbage (and I pray Marvel sticks to their "no merchandise", because I'm a Minimate-completist, and I would hate to not buy Minimates, but I don't want to support this trainwreck in any way, shape, or form).

Did I say directed by Michael bay? no I said a Michael Bay film

Calm down. I wasn't trying to be snippy, no need for you to be.

I wasn't trying to be snippy, I apologize I actually regretted my wording but couldn't think of a better way to rephrase it so I'm sorry I came across as rude.

You're also right

But I'm still fine with the wording of my original post, I think there was enough 'consumer confusion' that a lot of the people who willing spent money to see the movie assumed Michael Bay directed it (much like many fans wrongly assume to this day Tim Burton directed NBX)

So yeah, I'm sorry, you're 100% right my term usage was wrong, I'm not changing it because it fits my point